Fried Food Just Isn't the Same...

Options
I am almost finished with week 4 of my recommitment plan and I haven't eaten fried food in almost 5 weeks. Yesterday, my family and I went to Chic Fil A after church. I order a grilled chicken sandwich but wanted a small taste of my husband's waffle fries. Since I just wanted a taste, I took the smallest fry he had. It was like drinking 8 oz. of oil.

I had a similar experience a few weeks back. I ordered a mushroom swiss burger at Cheesecake factory as a treat. I took one bite and I was done. Again, it was like drinking oil.

So, it is pretty safe to say that my fried food days are over, or at least severely limited. I've never had a reaction like this to fried food before. The smell, the taste, the look...makes me queasy.

Another small change...

Replies

• OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Something similar happened when I was in a rush and stopped for a grilled chicken sandwich at Sonic's, and of coarse, a side of tots. While tasty, I was too full. Once I ate it I asked myself why I ate it. I didn't feel guilty, I just felt so stuffed and uncomfortable. Having that "cheat" actually helped me realize that it isn't that I "can't" eat those foods anymore, it is just that I don't want to.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A lot of people report no longer having a taste for certain foods, I've never understood this. I still enjoy all the foods I've always loved, and I still eat them in moderation.

I suspect this has more to do with the mental perception toward foods that you now deem to be "unhealthy." Kinda like folks who say they get "sick" from a few bites of a fast food burger.
  • VictoriaFitness2010
    Options
    I've dieted on and off for years and never had this issue. I don't consider fried food "bad" food. One can have a tasty fried foods in moderation. However, at least for me, the sight and smell of fried food turns my stomach. Plus, I have acid reflux. As we know, fried foods can exacerbate reflux issues.

Everyone is different.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about oil and also salt. I used to put salt and garlic salt on everything I ate. Now if I eat something even like baked chips they are to salty.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I too have noticed that some old favorites don't have the same flavor that I seem to remember. There are a few high calorie foods that I only have once in awhile and some of them have moved into the "not worth it after all" category.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I had a donut recently. I felt sick after. How quickly our tastebuds adjust after eating healthy for so long.
  • psuedoitch
    Options
    I'm sure your body is adjusting to healthier eating, so it's probably not quite ready to enjoy that type of food. I would consider it a good thing. It makes it easier to eat well.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is true! I rarely eat fried foods anymore and when I do, it usually makes me feel sluggish afterward.
  • sparkly96
    Options
    The same thing happened when i stopped drinking regular soda and switched to diet then stopped drinking that all together. Now when i drink diet soda its sooooo sweet to me. Forget about regular soda, it makes me gag.
  • Ajones33
    Options
    I haven't had soda in 4 years, trying to drink it now is almost torture its so thick and syrupy to me lol I stick to ice tea& water :)
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    That is awesome for you! I need this... I have it slightly, but not to the point where I won't eat it!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A lot of people report no longer having a taste for certain foods, I've never understood this. I still enjoy all the foods I've always loved, and I still eat them in moderation.

I suspect this has more to do with the mental perception toward foods that you now deem to be "unhealthy." Kinda like folks who say they get "sick" from a few bites of a fast food burger.
    Very possible. Another factor could be that you do still eat them. If you went totally off a certain food for a long time, it's possible that you could lose your taste for it.

Or, they need to change the oil in the fryer.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I had to look in my old food logs to find the item that I tried again after a very long time; it was Chili's Southwest Egg Rolls!
    I had a craving for them, but when I finally got them, meh! They just failed to live up to my memory. I don't think I'll waste my calories on them again.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

you might be right but for me I used to eat a lot of potato chips. After I hadnt had them for about a month I had some and I was shocked at how salty they were. I never noticed the salt before. Lots of variables I suppose since it was after cleaning up my diet in a big way. Dont get me wrong, I loved the chips, but dang they are salty.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of sad that I don't like some foods anymore......

Foods that have fallen off the favorites chart are....

Bread... sighs..... I used to love bread of any kind....... now not so much....

Kentucky fried chicken...... NASTY GREASY SALTY UNDER COOKED............ can't imagine that this was one of my favorite treats
    Donuts,
    bagels,
    Mcdonalds honestly even leaving calories out of it completely..... have you actually tasted this stuff???
    Pop ( except diet coke) God I love that stuff!
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I kind of noticed that Tuesday night. Bowling night and it's a fried food extravaganza! It makes me feel icky anymore. So I think I'll just stay out of it and eat the pizza! That is something I will NEVER stop loving
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking sodas almost 2 years ago now and once i accidentally sipped some out of my mom's takeout cup I almost gagged, it was so gross and chemical-y
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat baked sweets alot when I was heavy and since having started my journey 5 years ago I have cut them out almost completely. I had a few bites (maybe 3) of my husbands cupcake a few weeks ago, it was a larger cupcake so no, the 3 bites was not the entire thing, lol. And my stomach was sick the rest of the day. Even after I drank alot of water and ate a healthy lunch to try to settle my stomach, I was still not feeling well.

I probably won't touch cupcakes or sweets like that for awhile again, and now I remember exactly why.