Success with PCOS

Options

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have always been able to lose weight as long as I stuck with it. I used to take Met but stopped. I'm now on BCPs.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. I was put on metformin, but didnt' like it so stopped taking it. I lost 98lbs by eating clean and exercising. For me, exercising is the big key. I have read exercising helps your body utilizing the insulin better. The change in my eating helped too. I've gained 40lbs since 2008, but that has been due to other things (you know, like eating too much :) ) The PCOS hasn't returned even with the weight gain, but I'm still active.Good luck to you.
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. You have to find what works for you. I try to take my metformin on a daily basis, but sometimes it does make me sick to my stomach. I find it best to do the low carb low sugar. I was eating WAY to much fruit and it backfired on me. Right now I'm trying to keep my daily intake at 50 carbs or less and VERY little sugar. When I lose enough weight, then I will SLOWLY increase my carb intake. The mistake that some people make when they lose the weight they want, then they go back to eating normal carbs and normal sugar. You can't do that though. Just be patient. Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    it seems like everyone has PCOS, I don't know if I have it, as I don't go to the doctor, but what do you mean by quickly enough? if you're losing or averaging 1 pound a week or 4 in a month, that's healthy and most likely fat, and the slower you lose, you're likely to keep it off long term. drink plenty water, eat when you're hungry, eat fruits/veggies. it's not hard, it's a matter or doing it, we're all a lot smarter and capable than we think we are.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Hey- another cyster here! Exercise definitely plays a huge role in weight loss for women with PCOS. I think it's important to get at least 30 minutes of exercise in daily- it doesn't have to be intense- simply taking a daily walk around the block will help. For most of us, it takes longer to lose weight so the results won't be visible instantly but exercising daily is improving your overall health.

I know many women who have had success with The South Beach Diet (low carb) and/or a Low-Gi diet. I personally have lost a significant amount of weight following the SBD. I quickly became pregnant and gained nearly 100lbs. At this stage in my life the SBD just isn't something I could manage for the rest of my life. I wasn't losing weight at 100g carbs so I'm trying to keep them in the 50-75 range. You will have to experiment with food and find out what works for you because PCOS affects every women in different ways.

There are a lot of women on MFP with PCOS and most of them are very supportive. Feel free to add me if you like =) Good luck to you- You CAN do this!
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a low carb diet, usually around 100 - 120 net carbs daily. I have an appointment tomorrow and hopefully they can give me something to help. Some people eat only about 20 net carbs a day but I know I can't do that, it will only cause me to binge eat. So check with a doc and see what your options are.

Actually I have done it and its not that hard to do. Lots of protein and fresh veggies. The only thing I have a hard time with is dairy lol I love my bread rice and pasta, but I LOVE dairy lol I ate more eating like this and eating like this is what helped me lost enough weight that PCOS was gone and watching carbs that close are no longer needed. I was able to work into a balanced diet and continued to lose. Good luck!
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The varied opinions are interesting. I've struggled with weight for years sometimes it seems no matter what I do nothing works. And was wondering how others with PCOS deal with it. Also I would be interested how others deal with some of the other symptoms like excess hair growth? I've tried lazer hair removal but the Dr said the PCOS makes it hard for it to be perment, also the heavier you are the worse the PCOS symptoms are which makes it easier to retain weight have more excess hair a real vicious circle.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    The varied opinions are interesting. I've struggled with weight for years sometimes it seems no matter what I do nothing works. And was wondering how others with PCOS deal with it. Also I would be interested how others deal with some of the other symptoms like excess hair growth? I've tried lazer hair removal but the Dr said the PCOS makes it hard for it to be perment, also the heavier you are the worse the PCOS symptoms are which makes it easier to retain weight have more excess hair a real vicious circle.

I take a prescription drug known as Spironolactone (Aldactone) (DO NOT USE IF PREGNANT) to help with excess hair. It's also supposed to help prevent hair loss (scalp) but so far, it hasn't helped in that area. When I take it, some of the excess hair stops growing while other areas slow significantly. I also use tweezers to pluck the hairs. It can be a bit painful for beginners but I've been plucking for more than 10 years so it doesn't bother me. I would warn against shaving. I have heard of so many women shaving their faces and I just want to yell at them. Once you shave, you're risking the hairs growing in darker and more often.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Because PCOS is a syndrome, it affects everyone differently. The side effects one person has are completely different than another's. For most women, PCOS is caused by insulin resistance, the IR is not caused by being obese. This is very true for me. Once I hit puberty, even though diet and exercise didn't change, I started gaining weight inexplicably and had to starve to lose any weight. I am VERY insulin resistant. My only other PCOS symptoms are anovulation (once a year only from age 14 to about 35 when my body suddenly started working again), and polycystic ovaries. I also have autoimmune issues that are frequently tied to PCOS. I don't have what most would call 'excessive' hair growth, but I come from a family of women who are basically hairless. My grandma has never had to shave her legs, and my mom can do it maybe once every 3 months. I have to do it daily. I also have a light mustache and a couple chin whiskers that I pluck. My suspicion is that people who can lose weight without Met are less IR than I am. There are even women with PCOS that are NOT insulin resistant at all, but have many other symptoms. That's what makes it so hard to compare what works for PCOS. And I find it pretty condescending when people say 'oh, you don't need medication. Just do xyz.' implying that I didn't try or didn't try hard enough. My body just doesn't FUNCTION that way. Just because we both have PCOS doesn't mean our bodies work the same way with it.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I too, have PCOS. I take Metformin for it and am VERY careful about the quality of carbs and sugars. I try to get most of it from furit and veggies. I have lost 169 lbs so far....... it is possible, you just have to work to get the balance. I get about 100 - 120 carbs a day (90% of which I get from natural sources), feel full, continuously lose weight and only have about 30ish more to go!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I too, have PCOS. I take Metformin for it and am VERY careful about the quality of carbs and sugars. I try to get most of it from furit and veggies. I have lost 169 lbs so far....... it is possible, you just have to work to get the balance. I get about 100 - 120 carbs a day (90% of which I get from natural sources), feel full, continuously lose weight and only have about 30ish more to go!

Good for you! That is really impressive! Can I ask what your goal weight is? I just feel like I would never be able to maintain what the charts say my weight should be. So I'm shooting for somewhere in the 'overweight' category.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

Good for you! That is really impressive! Can I ask what your goal weight is? I just feel like I would never be able to maintain what the charts say my weight should be. So I'm shooting for somewhere in the 'overweight' category.

I WAS 342, now I am 173. I am shooting for 150ish. I am 5'9" and have a small frame, and because it has taken me a few years to learn this way, it is normal now, so I think I can maintain. It scares me though. I am so afraid of going back.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    LOL....150 is what I'm currently shooting for (my ticker is counting down to a much higher number than that) and I'm only 5'4". I justify it because I've got at least 10 lbs. of boobs that never go away LOL.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Hey guys, I just posted a high protein/lower carb pancake recipe if anyone is interested. This is not a recipe modified to be lower carb, it's just a different kind of pancake.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501196-high-protein-pancakes
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and I have been staying within my calorie goals for about 4 months an not losing. I FINALLY decided to bite the bullet and make the effort to seriously reduce the carbs. I LOVE sweets, especially chocolate and ice cream, so this is very difficult for me. I have also started C25K. I am not on metformin and I am also hypothyroid which doesnt help with the weight loss battle for sure. Just stick with it!!! When I do go lower carb, I lose a lot easier
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    In the past couple months I've lost about 14 pounds. I watch what I eat, I try to only eat bread in the morning (english muffin!), and eat a high protein dinner. I say I try because I'm still learning what I'm doing and old habits die hard ;) I try to get most of my carbs from fruits. It's a struggle but since I started paying attention I feel so much better. The only medication I take is birth control with the right amount of hormones I need. Try seeing a reproductive endocrinologist! and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and I have been staying within my calorie goals for about 4 months an not losing. I FINALLY decided to bite the bullet and make the effort to seriously reduce the carbs. I LOVE sweets, especially chocolate and ice cream, so this is very difficult for me. I have also started C25K. I am not on metformin and I am also hypothyroid which doesnt help with the weight loss battle for sure. Just stick with it!!! When I do go lower carb, I lose a lot easier

MANY PCOS women are also hypothyroid. I don't think they've figured out the connection yet, but I do believe there is one. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is one of my autoimmune disorders.
  • pinkprincess205
    Options
    it seems like everyone has PCOS, I don't know if I have it, as I don't go to the doctor, but what do you mean by quickly enough? if you're losing or averaging 1 pound a week or 4 in a month, that's healthy and most likely fat, and the slower you lose, you're likely to keep it off long term. drink plenty water, eat when you're hungry, eat fruits/veggies. it's not hard, it's a matter or doing it, we're all a lot smarter and capable than we think we are.

Its not just weight issues with pcos, its fertility, acne, hair. U wud no if u had it.
    N some of us do eat healthy n it stil doesnt come off, its harder for us pcos sufferers than someone that doesnt have it !!!
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer who also has PCOS that you have to do specific exercises when doing cardio (sort of like HITT cardio exercises) and then weight training. I personally have had zero success with losing weight having PCOS, so I don't know the magic formula to success at this time. I am considering surgical weightloss at this point since it seems I have tried everything, many trainers, docs, etc. I also take Metformin, and it worked by dropping ten pounds the first month, but it's come back, plus 20 more. I hope you find what you're looking for and are successful!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it in 2001. My weight has fluctuated most of my life. I'm not on any medications for it currently. Although I've recently reset my ticker, I have lost 55lbs. I keep my carb intake around 100 net, and limit sugar. When I do use sugar, I use raw sugar, 'cause that substitute stuff isn't good for you either. Also keep processed foods to a minimum if possible. Definitely talk to your doctor, and figure out what works for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!