getting smaller but no weight loss

Options
Hi,

fo the last 2 weeks my weifght has stayed static at 205lbs. However My waist has shrunk by 5 Cm? Seems a bit strange. Anybody had anything similar? Doing a lot of cardo and a bit on the weights just no idea why this should happen.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight, could possibly have added a little muscle too.

The scale lies. You are doing a good thing by measuring as you can track fat loss when the scale doesn't move. Congrats!
  • acschnabel
    Options
    There was a point where I reached that "plateau" you are supposed to power through. I could feel my jeans getting bigger but the scale was lieing to me. Keep working on it, watch your calories closely. Weight lose is simple in that you need to burn more than you take in.
  • galey2000
    Options
    Thats great all. I'm definitely lowering the cals(although I did pig out on 500ml of ben and jerrys last saturday night). overall ik kepp under my allowance. think you could be right about the muscles, i do feel a lot firmer. thanks for your time.
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    Dont use the scale. It measures all sorts of things.

Use measuring tape to check your inch loss. It will also help you calculate your body fat% if you know your measurements.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you are working out then I agree that it could be due to muscled weighs more than fat. It makes for a good story too.
  • idcatiej22
    idcatiej22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    the thing about scales is that they don't tell you how much fat you've lost and how much muscle you've gained. if you're losing inches, then you're on the right track. keep up the good work!
  • galey2000
    Options
    Thanks again, does anyone know how to measure your bodyfat from your measurements?
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Size is more important than weight. I've always said I don't care if I weigh 300 pounds as long as I can wear a size 9.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are working out then I agree that it could be due to muscled weighs more than fat. It makes for a good story too.

Yea but it's rather unlikely, especially since he said he isn't doing much weigh lifting.

You are probably retaining a lot of water weight from the amounts of cardio. Also, weight loss isn't linear so you can't treat it like that. Give your body some rest though and the weight should come off. Also, I would suggest 3 days of weight training and 2/3 days of cardio (preferably HIIT instead of treadmill or ellipitical)
  • marquesajen
    Options
    The scale isn't always the best tool to track your progress.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your body continues to shrink because you are working out and building muscle mass. So even when you are not losing weight your body is redistributing and you are getting smaller. I have experienced this. I am losing very slowly but my measurements are getting smaller and my clothes keep getting bigger. I love it! Cardio and weights are helping. Keep it up!
  • mesicali_chica
    mesicali_chica Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, does anyone know how to measure your bodyfat from your measurements?

I bought a scale at target that measures the BMI as well as the weight. It works pretty well... the measurement matches what my trainer came up with.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just got a nicer digital scale for christmas and it measures me 5-10 lbs higher than my old scale... not only that but it goes up and down 2 lbs every day. I was getting frustrated until I read this post...

BUT.... I dont know how to measure with a tape... where does it go?!
  • myf1101
    Options
    I have been in that situation and agree with the others that it could be down to muscle as it is claimed that muscle weights more than fat. That does not stop the frustration but stick with it as the weight will start coming down again soon. Measuring means that you know that this is successful and you are toning up and looking better, so focus on the positive.
  • kaykayt
    Options
    I did not know you retained water by doing cardio. Do you know why that is? I am curious because I have noticed that I lost weight while not exercising. What I notice from exercising is that I am more toned so I keep doing it (even though it is not my favorite thing to do).
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Some times I find my body just does not let go of the the weight. I will be stuck for a few weeks and then suddenly drop a pound or two.

Keep at it and the fat will eventually go.
  • galey2000
    Options
    sorry for being thick, but whats the difference? I use crosstrainers etc and aim to burn off about 11-1300 calories. I spend abt 20 mins on weight. I do this 3 or 4 times a week
  • galey2000
    Options
    Thanks a lot to everybody for the info and encouragement. The really great thing is how much better I actually feel. it's brill
  • angiefig8
    angiefig8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less space. Google images of fat versus muscle. Very interesting to see that 5 pounds of muscle looks like a steak...5 pounds of fat looks like a giant vat of jello! Fat takes up more space. I am having the same issue. I have gone down 40 pounds from 300 to 260 and it has been a struggle each step of the way, but I am wearing the size I wore when I was 210! I work out every single day - swim, walk, treadmill anything vigorous and I workout big! I have gone from a size 28 to a size 22 and some 20s, but at this rate I will be 230 in a size 16 which makes no sense at all! Someone below said they don't care if they re 300 as long as they can wear a Size 8...I guess that is how you have to think!

I have plateaud on the scale at 260 for the last two weeks even though I am eating 1200 calories, exercising and drinking tons of water, but my clothes keep getting looser!

It is a journey!