Girl Scout cookies are EVIL!!

Options
LOL!! I have been doing very good though and not eating a whole sleeve in one sitting. Had 4 cookies (serving size) yesterday and today. I purposely didn't order any, just eating some of my daughters :) and had the hubby take his to work with him.

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Yep. I ordered some from someone at work and one of my students. We are on mid winter break, so when I go back I will get them. Ugh!! Definitely dreading that!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    And they're not even made with real Girl Scouts! Just look at the protein content, it should be ever so much higher. Talk about false advertising.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    They are evil!

They sell them outside the door of our local grocery store, so they have these cute little girls begging you to buy cookies as you walk into the store. I personally think that is horrible and refuse to purchase them. They are full of transfat and other "crap". I do not mind eating a cookie, just not one of those.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    They are evil!

They sell them outside the door of our local grocery store, so they have these cute little girls begging you to buy cookies as you walk into the store. I personally think that is horrible and refuse to purchase them. They are full of transfat and other "crap". I do not mind eating a cookie, just not one of those.

All Girl Scout Cookies are at least "zero trans fat per serving" if not completely trans fat free. I do not know what you consider to be "crap", but they got rid of the trans fasts, at least, a while ago.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've had 5 boxes in my refrigerator for 2 weeks now and haven't touched one! Seeing how long I can last until I cave.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    They are evil!

All Girl Scout Cookies are at least "zero trans fat per serving" if not completely trans fat free. I do not know what you consider to be "crap", but they got rid of the trans fasts, at least, a while ago.

Oh thanks, that is good to know. I the last time I looked they had transfats, and I think that was between 3 and 4 years ago, could be longer, time flies when you are over 40..

So, do they make them with all natural ingredients now?
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    They are evil!

Oh thanks, that is good to know. I the last time I looked they had transfats, and I think that was between 3 and 4 years ago, could be longer, time flies when you are over 40..

in order for something to be marked as "zero trans fats it only has to have less than 5% trans fats. so actually most of the stuff that is suddenly "trans fat free" just hid it in the label.
  • mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm my daughter's girl scout leader, so I have over 300 boxes sitting in my garage! I'm letting my kids have 2 or 3 cookies at a time, just so the box is emptied quicker. It's hard to resist GS cookies
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options

No, the ingredients are not yet all natural. They do have natural and artificial flavors, which is really no direct problem (artificial flavors are safe, but can be a sign of low-quality food). They also contain artificial colors, which can be problematic for some (there is real controversy surrounding some of the dyes used in artificial colors).

Some of the varieties do have a very small quantity of partially hydrogenated oil, which I will talk about below.
    in order for something to be marked as "zero trans fats it only has to have less than 5% trans fats. so actually most of the stuff that is suddenly "trans fat free" just hid it in the label.

This is not quite correct. Food labeled as "zero trans fat per serving" must contain less than .5 g trans fat in each serving. This is not strictly 100% free of trans fat, but it is a far cry from when trans fats were much more common. Many people choose to not worry about <.5 g of trans fat is they only eat a serving or two. It is part of the old idea of the poison being in the dosage.

Some varieties of Girl Scout Cookies are truly trans fat free and have absolutely zero trans fat in them. As always, reading labels is our friend.
  • brasskim
    Options
    I'm my daughter's girl scout leader, so I have over 300 boxes sitting in my garage! I'm letting my kids have 2 or 3 cookies at a time, just so the box is emptied quicker. It's hard to resist GS cookies

Yep, Troop Leader and Troop Cookie Manager. 900 some boxes were in my garage on Tuesday but had the girls meeting that day also so they sorted and took with them when they left :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I agree... that's why right now they are not allowed in my house... perhaps later once we have more self-control over sweets... but not at this point when we could yawn and a whole box would be gone...
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I just give my nieces the money and tell them to get their favorites.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've had 5 boxes in my refrigerator for 2 weeks now and haven't touched one! Seeing how long I can last until I cave.
    \

Wow- thats some willpower! :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    What does girl scout flavour taste like? Chicken?
  • ColCul
    ColCul Posts: 53
    Options
    I am a Guider, I had cases of them in my house during the fall campaign. I am in Canada, and we only have 2 campaigns: Fall and Spring. We only have 2 types of cookies: Mint chocolate in the Fall (my fave), and vanilla/chocolate in the Spring. I resisted in the Fall. I was very proud. Someone, however, "gifted"me a box of the minty, chocolatey goodness over the holidays, and I resisted. For about a month. And then sat down and ate every last living one of them! Oh well, at least they won't be sold again until September.

I once tried to freeze them, but discovered that they were even better that way.....