Cookies fit for a day's worth of calories..

Options
I can't believe how many calories are in pre-packaged cookies!!

Today at lunch they brought in sandwiches, salad, and cookies from a sandwich shop called Potbelly's.. should have been a hint as to how healthy their stuff is. I did well with getting a ton of salad and a small half sandwich, but then I decided to have one cookie. One cookie turned into a second one as I left the meeting on my way back to my cube.

Long story short- I look up the calorie content.... 450 WHOPPING CALORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I'm ignorant however I was shocked to see that. I thought max it could have been was 300, which I was willing to take the hit for. At that rate, if I would have had 3 it would have been OVER my day's calories- thankfully this morning I exercised. I still feel guilty though and will still probably go to the gym tonight.

Moral of this post: CALORIES IN BAKED GOODS ARE DECEIVING! Proceed with caution. :) Make them at home, they are smaller portions and you can control the ingredients. Thanks for listening :)

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    based on your profile pic... were they doggie cookies? lol

j/k

yes, baked goods are generally calorie dense... you're usually off better eating potato chips... lol.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    doesnt surprise me really.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I find brands you get from grocery stores have a decent calorie count if you eat only one or two, but I couldn't say whether any other count is better or worse than any other. The sad part for those of us who don't have working ovens.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Potbelly!!!!!!! They don't have them here in NC but when we lived in VA, we went there a lot. Yes, they are not low cal...lol...
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You were shocked that a big cookie had a lot of calories? You're sweet. I just want to squeeze you!
  • jessicart77
    Options
    I just hate when that happens!!! :smile:

I have also been making cookies at home instead since sweets are my downfall. :)
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Potbelly's brownies are AWESOME!! I am so looking forward to moving back to Virginia! Not for the brownies, mind you.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You were shocked that a big cookie had a lot of calories? You're sweet. I just want to squeeze you!

I knew it would have a lot of calories... again, alot to me was like 300'ish. I didn't expect it to be the same amount of calories as a meal!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Luckily you can eat 2-4 girl scout cookies, depending on flavor, for 150 calories LOL. Oreos are a good bet too. Not the healthiest choice for a snack, but you gotta live a little sometimes. If you're making at home, apple cause is a good substitute for vegetable oil. (I LOVE cookies)
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of moments for me like this still... where you don't think that they would make food that bad for you... but then it is... I have realized that unless you make most things yourself or are VERY particular and practically study the lable you are likely to be surprised in an unpleasant way.

I like to think of these as lessons learned.

Scary stuff out there!!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I fell victim to Dunkin' Donuts. the boston creme was less than 300, and I really thought that would be the worst. Turns out Apple Crumb is 490!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I ate a starbucks chocolate chunk cookie and found out later it was 650 calories.

Dude, **** starbucks.
  • susankaye123
    Options
    I was just talking about that yesterday. I went to subway, a healthy choice I thoght to go eat. And yes I ate two small cookies with my sub. Came home and logged my food and I couldnt believe it but my two little cookies were 450 calories..I was dissapointed in my self, but have learned a lesson from empy calories...:sad:
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Potbelly cookies are really huge too. And very yummy. I miss them! I'm all for enjoying treats in moderation, but the numbers on that cookie are so high I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near it!

I need a less calorie-dense version of their double chocolate brownie cookie.

There's pretty much nothing at Potbelly for me, the sodium is a deal-breaker. Skinny Tuna is about it I think.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I ate a starbucks chocolate chunk cookie and found out later it was 650 calories.

Dude, **** starbucks.

What the actual f.....!
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    There are these cookies I have found at several different grocery stores now called WhoNu? and they taste EXACTLY like Oreos but they have been loaded with protein and fiber and vitamins! 3 are 150 calories and I sometimes will have 3 with my lunch as a dessert. Very good and satisfies my sweet tooth!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    some cookies are totally worth it though :laugh: harrod's tea biscuits (especially the lavendar flavors) are the most delicious cookies i have ever tasted.

if i could still eat gluten i'd definitely keep those 500+ calories/serving suckers around for a treat. i definitely wouldnt blow my calories on some chips ahoy type crap. if i'm going to eat it then it better be the most delicious cookie i can get in that calorie range
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Weird, cookies are made with lots of butter and sugar...and SOMEHOW....just SOMEHOW...they are high in calories..wtf? :indifferent: