Beginning Hiker

Options
I am trying to lose weight before I get married and we just started going for a hike 3 times a week. I live in Tucson and there are a lot of hiking opportunities here, but I am a real beginner... (I wore vans on my first hike, bad idea!!)

I am starting with 1 hour (2 round trip) up a moderate climb that has an "easy" first mile. I am too embarassed (and poor) to join a gym so I figured it would be better to enjoy the outdoors and not have to be so self conscious. I have very low self esteem, and the birds don't laugh at me when I have to pause for breath!

I was looking for advice from any hikers out there... about how to maximize the workout, how to measure the distance, what precautions to take, what items to take, what to wear, how to avoid sunstroke (esp in AZ!), all the basics.

Replies

• Kellysue32
    Options
    I used to live in Tucson and I would recommend the river walk. There is bathrooms, water, and mile markers...and as you get proficient you can add in Sabino Canyon which is also marked for mileage. Then when you are really comfortable, you can start adding some real trails in. I would recommend hiking boots and a GPS (or a smart phone) so you can keep track of your distance.

Hope this helps!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you're going, how remote and for how far, but I normally carry with me
    - plenty of water
    - hat and sun glasses in the summer
    - winter hat, gloves etc in the winter
    - loo roll and alcohol handwash

and I wear lots of layers so I can keep warm or cool, and a waterproof layer

Basically, make sure you have good shoes, with ankle support ideally. By good, I mean a good grip on the sole, supportive, and plenty of room round the toes, especially if you're walking down hills.

A pole or two might help, especially if you're not used to walking - they take the pressure off the knees.

But really, the joy of walking is that you dont need anything special. Listen to your body, build up the distance and the pace, and the inclines, and just enjoy it :)

I use apps like runkeeper, endomondo or even just mapping it out later to track how far I've been.

Sunstroke? I live in the UK so cant help you on that one :laugh:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Proper hiking footwear, and generally 2 pairs of socks, one to wick the moisture away and the other for padding / warmth where needed.
    If they are established hiking trails there's info available on how long they are etc. I miss my weekly hike I could decide up front the 3 K trail or the 7K and if I got on the 7K and just didn't feel it there was an alternate path that made it 5K.
    You can do all that you need without setting foot in a gym :)
    Get your arms involved don't just trundle along with your hands tucked in your pockets, never know when you might need to grab something or catch yourself in a trip / fall.
    Scan your territory, don't get caught unaware by a change in the terrain or by walking into an animal you didn't note was there.
    Water for sure and some sort of trail-safe snack... like chocolate chips don't cut it as they will melt on you, but nuts, granola, trail mix, bannock, jerky.... anything stable and nice and portable. Don't go on a 2 hour hike and not have anything with you for food, you never know when your hike might wind up longer than expected.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. FITBIT.. Great Hiking shoes , healthy snacks, water. Stretch before you go and after. Wear clothes that breathe. I love hiking.......Its amazing exercise..great for the mind and spirit
  • KatMoore1
    Options
    The most important things if you are hiking in an area you don't know are a map and a compass, even if you don't think you need one, you can never be too safe! Also lots of water! In terms of what to wear good boots are the main thing, and ideally waterproofs. Bring a phone and always tell someone where you are going and check in before you leave/ when you are back, especially if you are out alone.

I love hiking, it's a great workout and you get to see the great outdoors! It's also a great idea to bring a camera :) and have fun!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My family and I are avid hikers in Ohio. First and far most, having the proper shoes makes a different. I own a pair of Merrill hiking shoes and I love them. You're doing the right thing, by starting out on a moderate climb. It should take you about an hour. Stick with that for a while to season yourself. Once that seems easy, find a different trail with a different incline.

As for gear, it all depends on where you are. In Arizona, you could hike in knee length shorts, t-shirt, and a sun hat and be fine. I would carry a back pack on you, with food (crackers, nuts, etc.), water, and a first aid kit.

As for basics, your on the right track.

Enjoy and happy hiking! :)
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    thanks so much, i will definitely try that! I've been going up Finger Rock trail because it is free parking hahaha and I like that it is secluded

Sabino Canyon is a touristy place that costs to park, so I don't go there much, but the three trails there are on my To-Conquer list!

Edit: and I never thought of a first aid kit, derp! we even had a small cut last time and I didnt even think of that haha

I'll try to invest in some better shoes but for now I have some old walking shoes that I'm going to have to stick with.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a backpack with a camel pack in it- more comfortable on your back and easier to drink water from. I would also suggest a first aid kit with mini flashlight- you never know. Layers. (I guess not if it is super hot). Good hiking sneakers/boots whatever.

And before you go get a trail map. Most places around here have one either at the bottom of the trails or if there is a hut (depending on the size of the mtn.)

ALSO JOIN US HERE http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/547-hikers-and-backpackers CUZ THERE IS A GROUP OF IS!
  • barkfitness
    Options
    I love hiking! My advice, take your dog! I love hiking with my pack and it makes it even more fun. Also, make sure you wear good shoes. I love my keen and teva hiking sandals in the summer. I can go from playing in the creek to climbing a steep hill with little to no issues. Take water with you if you are going to be out too long, especially in AZ. Also, never leave without a phone, and always be aware of your surroundings. My dogs help with the security, but I still try to be aware of any cars in the parking lot when I arrive at a park or other people. Lets see....OH, take a camera! You will see beautiful things out there! I love taking pictures while on hikes. I have an olympus that is waterproof, shock proof, heat and cold proof. Covers all the bases here in Ohio. Finally, before you go on a long hike, let someone know where you are. I don't know how dense the areas are that you are hiking in, but safety first. There are a million things that can happen when you are in the thick of mother nature. It is good that you are hiking with someone. I'm usually alone with my dogs. I think you will love hiking and you can really burn some calories out there. :-) Have fun and be safe!
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    Aside from taking enough water your two priorities are good hiking shoes and socks.

For hiking shoes I'd suggest checking out REI. They have an awesome return policy if what you end up picking out just rubs you the wrong way and great staff to help with recommendations too. I'd suggest going for a hiking shoe and not boot just for the lighter weight (3lbs on your feet kills!).

For socks invest in some wool socks like Smart Wool or similar. I've stuck with them for my hiking socks in particular because they have a fitted stretchiness to them so they don't end up slinking down to my toes like other wool socks I've got. Don't discount wool just because you're in a hot state, wool is the best for wicking moisture away to keep your feet dry (no blisters, yay) and not stinking like synthetics do. A big plus when talking about feet.
  • frogger581
    Options
    im in PHX and i just started too. I had made a goal to climb all the major peaks in the area before i turned 30 so i thought i'd start small. I went on a hike with some friends who do this all the time and they said "oh this one's easy, we call it pu**y peak!" yeah i almost died... so what i learned from that day was:

1) take your time and take as many rests as you need, cause you dont want to try to climb huffing and puffing and dizzy. especially around sheer rock faces.
    2) small investments, such as a "camelback" and good shoes, are worth it.
    3) If you aren't going to restrict your climbing to Oct-Mar then you should only hike sunrise early, lessens chances of sunstroke and reptile encounters
    4) If you arent going to hike with a buddy or a dog, try to find out the high use times for your trails, once you become more experienced, hiking alone is okay but while in novice status you might want someone to know if you go missing/ get injured.

Thats all i learned from my first time out. I hope to get to get out there again soon myself!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love hiking....ti's great exercise and gives you time to clear your head. I live in FLA now (flat) so I don't do it as often as I'd like. My husband and I hiked/climbed Kilamajaro for our wedding and we got back from Peru in late December (did the Inca Trail - 4 days of hiking) to Manchu Picchu.

Recommendations - get good hiking boots (light weight and weatherproof - Gortex or equvilant). need ankle support on uneven ground. Get good socks too (smart wool - ones that wick away moisture.)

Always have a backpack/camel back with you - water (especially in AZ)...you don't ever want to be without...I also always carry raingear - don't know if you need in AZ? (when we go on long hikes we have a water purfier too, in case we need to get additional water....I am terrified of being without water.) Depending on elevation climb, I'd say 2 Liters for a 3-4 hour hike (more H2O) if hot.

Also, in our packs, I have emergency blanket (thin and reflective) to keep heat in and a first aid kit. and a cell phone...nothing worse if you are an hour (or more in) and turn an ankle (or worse.)

I like to go at a good clip...I carry hiking poles for the down hill portion (but I have crap knees), I have a GPS on my watch, so that tells me my distance/pace, etc. If the routes you are going on frequently traveled, part of a park system, you could probably look them up for distance (or go to mapmyrun.com - I think they have trails on there too?)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Heyya neighbor! I'm in Albuquerque, I walk the pups along trails and hope to take them for a real hike at some point.
    Follow trails as much as possible. I always have a big bottle of water with me, along with mace, a knife, tissues, and I really need to add in a first aid kit and a granola bar or snacks.

Make sure to dress in layers, even if it's 70-80 degrees out you always prepare for the worst case scenarios. If you're going balls out, make sure to at least tell someone where you're off to, cell service here turns to crap in the foothills, it may be the same where you are.

As for monitoring calories, it can be tricky without an HRM to give you an idea of how hard you're working. Once you get your feet beneath you on the hiking, try tossing in some trail running intervals. To measure distance, you can get maps online to see how far you travel or if you have a smart phone, they have apps for "map my run" and things like that. I'm not sure how a pedometer would do with hiking as I don't have one.

A lot of this sounds like what my mother would tell me as a kid and I would roll my eyes. A girlfriend and I went up into the mountains one spring and I was smart enough to listen to my mother. My friend was wearing a sundress and sandals. My friend got her truck buried in mud. As I was the only one dressed in any sort of manner to be hiking, digging, etc. guess who dug out the truck while the other one sat there looking pristine and pretty and was freezing because she didn't have proper clothes on? I'd rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not have it.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the awesomeness of hiking :)

O, and I clicked on this because I had just finished reading a passage from Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific West Trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pacific-Crest-Trail/dp/0307592731/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330032670&sr=1-1
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone here is so helpful!!!

I will see about bringing my dog, but I dont want her getting injured going after a snake or something

My honey is taking me out TONIGHT to get new shoes so I told him about REI, thanks for the suggestion!

I have a some friends in PHX and I think i know which "peak" you are talking about haha

I dont have a heart rate monitor, but I just list it for an approximate low-ball as "Hiking," would that be about accurate?
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone here is so helpful!!!

I will see about bringing my dog, but I dont want her getting injured going after a snake or something

My honey is taking me out TONIGHT to get new shoes so I told him about REI, thanks for the suggestion!

I have a some friends in PHX and I think i know which "peak" you are talking about haha

I dont have a heart rate monitor, but I just list it for an approximate low-ball as "Hiking," would that be about accurate?

I just put it in on MFP, seems a touch high to me but again, my HRM is more trails with two dogs that have to stop every 5 seconds to smell this, pee on that, talk to this person/dog/cat/bird/bush. I think you'll be on the right track :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I wear trail runners. But, I do fast and light hiking - last 4th of July, I did 26 miles around Lake Tahoe, this June, I'm doing 75 miles in Yosemite in 4 days. You might want more ankle support, especially if your clumsy or have weak ankles.

Wear a hat! Even better, a wide brim floppy hat (or even a straw hat or a sombrero).
    Drink lots of water. There is a formula, but I don't remember it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I love hiking - and it's the main form of exercise I get. I think everyone's got it covered already, but my top tips are:

1. Drink plenty of water. Always carry more than you think you will need - I use a Platypus hydration pack that goes in my regular rucksack. It has a tube that you attach to the strap near your shoulder so you can have a slurp whenever you need it, without having to stop. Extra water may weigh more but - hey! - it's like weight lifting and will help you burn more calories!

2. Good healthy snacks such as bananas, wholewheat wraps with hummous and salad, nuts and seeds etc.

3. Be religious about timing your walks and log the route when you get back (Excel spreadsheet is fine). Next time you do it, see if you can beat your previous time.

4. We don't get much hot weather in England but when we do, sunscreen, a long-sleeved lightweight shirt, wide-brimmed hat and good sunglasses are a must (plus extra water!).

5. A good pair of hiking boots. I have Meindls for winter and Asolo for summer. It is the most I have ever spent on footwear but I've had the Meindls for seven years and they are still going strong (my last pair lasted for 15 years). If possible get them fitted at an outdoor shop as different makes suit different feet shapes. If you can't get to a shop then do your research first (e.g. generally Merrells are a wide fit, Asolo narrow etc). This review site is good: http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/left-hand-nav/Footwear/

Most importantly, have fun and be safe in the knowledge that the workout you are getting equals hitting the gym. Great cardiovascular workout and amazing bottom and leg toner!