Nursing and trying to lose 10 pounds

Options
Hi, everyone.

I am the mom of a 6 month old baby boy who is nursing for 99% of his nutritional needs (he has been boycotting baby food for the last week or so!). I never imagined that trying to lose baby weight would be this difficult while breastfeeding. It seems that when I lose a little weight my milk supply plummets and the more I nurse him the hungrier I become!

Anyway, I eat super healthy and try to get at least 1-2 hours of cardio in per week. Wish me luck!

Replies

• HipsLipsMama
    Options
    Hi Veronica!

I am a nursing mom too.. i was wondering how many calories are you eating? Maybe its not enough for your level of nursing (full time) and your exercise output.

Try not to worry about losing weight right now, just concentrate on keeping you and the little man fed and healthy :) it will come off in due time!

Good luck and enjoy that baby! :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've nursed 4 children and a lot of people say that nursing helped them lose weight (500cal/day) However, I never personally lost the weight until I stopped nursing because it made me so hungry. Enjoy your little one-those are precious moments that go by so fast!
  • veronicasosa1
    Options
    Hi, hipslipsmama.

According to this site I should be eating 1,540 calories per day but realistically I think its a little low for me. For example, yesterday I went over quite a bit. Today I worked out and am trying really hard to stay within the 1540 we'll see how I do...

How are you managing to lose while breastfeeding? any tips? FYI- I just started this plan yesterday so I haven't been at this too long yet!

Thanks for sharing.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so motivational, helpful, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • HipsLipsMama
    Options
    the first thing that helped me lose was calorie cycling... eating the same amount of calories per week but varying the amounts on a daily basis to trick the metabolism into continuously burning.

then i started eating only whole foods, fruits and veggies mostly, brown rice and fish everyday. but i eat as much as i want! dont even count calories at all. no butter, no dairy, no meat except fish. i do eat nuts (raw, about 1/4 cup a day) and oil to cook my food and sometimes to put on veggies, not a lot. after a while, it becomes totally normal and the things i used to love are unappealing to me now

with these two techniques i have lost about 15 lbs since jan/feb..

good luck!! it will come off, some people say all their weight comes off after breastfeeding, i think it just depends on your body!

xoxox:flowerforyou:
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I have always wanted to try cycling, but I am afraid of gaining weight instead of tricking my metabolism. I was thinking of cycling 1200 and 1600 cals every other day. That would still equal to what MFP recommends when added up for all 7 days of the week. Any advice?
  • FitFan
    FitFan Posts: 3
    Options
    I am so excited to hear you all talking about this!! My little girl is 4 and a half months old, nursing exclusively, and we (my husband and I) just joined a gym last week. We joined LifeTime Fitness which is very family oriented - and they told us about this website. I am very excited for both!

I, too, lost a few pounds one week and noticed my milk supply suffer. I'm focused on healthy habits so when I can really shed the weight, it will happen easier (I hope!) It's good to know we are all going through this together!

238911.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • wendymuse
    wendymuse Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi I to am nurnsing. I have a 4 month old and she is exclusively nursing. I am new to this site and I wanted to have a way to count calories. I do need to lose alot of weight as she is baby number 6. They say 1220 calories. I am just wondering if this is to few calories. I don't want my milk supply effected. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks