How long before you see results ?

Options
I started this journey on Feb 01st.. and have been working out and watching my diet, but I have gained 4 lbs. I see others loosing 1-2 lbs from the very first week.

Does the weight always go up a little before it starts to drop ?

Confused !!!

Replies

• GlendaLeeCage
    Options
    I have been advised that you are building muscles which is why the scale seems to go the other way; however, your clothes should fit differently because you are loosing inches. This worked for me. I only weighed maybe once every 2 weeks when I did this before. The scale will make you literally lose your mind not weight......
  • hopingslim
    hopingslim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks... maybe i should increase my water intake.

Anyone else ?
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 54 I think...and I've gone down 3 lbs. My bf swears I've lost inches...but I don't think I've even done that. My eating however leaves much room for improvement. There is quote I read that says something like it takes 4 weeks to see your body changing, 8 for your friends to see changes and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. /shrug

I know that I am better off for doing this...where would you be if you gave up just cause the scale didn't show weight loss? I'd probably be inching closer to 200lbs within 2 years. Never give up! Also I retained a ton of water when I first started.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I started this journey on Feb 01st.. and have been working out and watching my diet, but I have gained 4 lbs. I see others loosing 1-2 lbs from the very first week.

Does the weight always go up a little before it starts to drop ?

Confused !!!

men tend to start losing weight faster than women. Me, for instance, started losing immediately when I really started to pay attention to my eating. I lost 10 pounds in the first month. Women tend to start slower. Women also have more normal fluctuation on a day to day, week to week basis than men. My weight, when I'm not trying to lose, stayed the same, never up more than a pound or two, never down more than same amount. My wife's weight fluctuates 5 or 6 pounds up and down throughout the month.

Pay close attention to what you're really eating. Log EVERYTHIGN. A lot of people eat more without realizing it when they start exercising. Also, if you're actually drinking enough water, you could be gaining a little there. Many people (again, women more than men) are somewhat dehydrated normally so if/when they start drinking 8 cups of water or more a day, they hold more water weight.

30 days is not long in the weight loss arena, especially for women. Watch your calories, keep exercising and weigh yourself in 2 weeks. Good luck. You can do it.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Honestly the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing isn't scientifically valid for people like us trying to lose weight and it's more often just an excuse to make you feel better.

Like you'll see on my threads here, are you tracking food and do you have a calorie goal in mind? And are you burning what you put in?

I was like you too when I used to kind of half heartedly try to lose weight. At the beginning of this year I got serious about it and lost 11lb in the first 3 weeks......3lbs the first week alone. I'm a fat old mom, too. ;)

I would say that if you gained, you need to evaluate your diet and exercise plan and I would bet the culprit is in there. ;)
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 weeks of faithful exercise and eating better before I saw any kind of change in my body, outwardly. I am excited that the rolls (love handles) around my middle are almost gone and I look smoother. :) Please hang in there. As many people have said, we didn't gain weight overnight, so we can't expect to lose it overnight either. But it will happen!
  • hopingslim
    hopingslim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed a change in how my clothes fit... but just difficult to see the scale go up. I am going to stay away from it for next 2 weeks.

:)
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    "Honestly the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing isn't scientifically valid for people like us trying to lose weight and it's more often just an excuse to make you feel better."

EXACTLY---Glad others see that as well.