Shirataki Noodles

Options
kryptonitekelly
kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
Anyone tried them?
They any good?

0 calories...surely it's taste is horrid?

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Used them and LOVE them. Had some last night as a matter of fact.

They STINK when you open the bag. This is normal and easy to get rid of. Boil them (with a bouillon cube) for a few minutes. The stink goes away. They have a weird consistency that's a little springy when you chew, but they're pretty good. :) I stir in some Sazon and a wedge of The Laughing Cow cheese. Sometimes I add dill instead of Sazon. Sometimes I throw in cracked pepper.
  • danbabcock
    Options
    Boil them twice... they work best in oriental and stir-fry. Don't try them like spagetti...
  • barleespringers
    Options
    I love them! I have heart disease so eating bad carbs isn't an option.

There is a few out in the market, so shop around online.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Oooh any one know recipes? will buy some and give it a bash!
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try them out, but can't find them in the grocery store!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried them?
    They any good?

0 calories...surely it's taste is horrid?

They aren't 0 calories. they are 20 calories per serving, so 40 calories per package.

Just make sure you rinse and dry the noodles well and cut them, cuz they are super long.

A recipe I like
    1 package Tofu Shirataki Noodles
    3 mini sweet bell peppers (I found this brand called Pero) if you can't find the mini then i sweet red bell pepper should work.
    3 pieces of sundried tomato
    1 clove garlic, minced/chopped
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Rinse and dry the noodles, put them in the microwave safe container and nuke them for 30 to 60 secs
    sauteed the garlic, peppers, sundried tomatoes over medium heat in the balsamic vinegar. approx 5 minutes
    add the noodles, mix and stir for a mix and it's ready to go

130 calories for the whole thing
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Can't get Tofu shirataki in the UK which is a shame :(
  • Chickie0999
    Options
    I LOVE Them!!!!! Really good... stating the obvious, but they taste like good 'ol noodles!
    They say to boil them 3 minutes.. I give them a good 8 minutes.

Had them with spaghetti sauce... the friend who introduced me to them as them plain with a bit of sea salt and olive oil.

Enjoy!!
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just started eating them and I love them. The smell is so bad, but after a really good rinse and 1min in the microwave they are good. Yesterday I mixed mine with some bean sprouts, 1oz of Tyson grillers chicken and some soy sauce. SO yummy...However, the soy sauce had a lot of sodium so I'm looking for other stuff to put in them.
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've always kind of wondered about them, but now I think I might have to try them.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I see I'm the only dissenter, but I thought they were disgusting. I used a Hungry Girl recipe, as I recall (it was over a year ago), and I kinda wanted to barf. Super mushy with a slightly fishy taste. (It may also be worth noting that I hate hate HATE fish... so the tuna smell turned me off as soon as I opened the package.)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think they are absolutely horrible. I don't like eating rubber bands especially when the smell like a nasty old minnow bucket. If you haven't tried them, try one bag first. Don't do what I did and buy a case and then have to find some unsuspecting schmucks to eat the other 11 bags after you gagged on the first one. And I love fish -- this is not regular fish smelling. It is rotten gross fish.
  • NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love them and use them in stri frys! Just give them a good rinse in cold water before you cook them!
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    i heard they get really tough to eat?

scuse the poor non capitalisation! keyboard broken :[
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 'I think they're horrible' bandwagon.
    I didn't mind the flavor so much but it was the texture that got me. kinda slimy and rubbery... yuck!!
  • harryandsally
    harryandsally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stepping into the "they taste nasty" line.

The smell was revolting and the "snappy" texture disconcerting.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hopping on the nasty train also. I found them to be horrible. Smelled awful, were slimy and mushy, I honestly couldn't gag down more then a few bites. I would much rather eat some wholesome whole grain pasta and work the calories into my daily goal then suffer through another meal of those.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    I prefer Miracle Noodles. They are no soy in it or calories. I like their recipes on the Facebook page.http://www.facebook.com/MiracleNoodle
  • angebrun
    angebrun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I like them fine. There is a smell- you need to blanch them. Also, the texture is odd, I don't mind it personally, but I can see how it could be very off-putting to some.
    Options
    The Wife & I eat them all the time. we add them to progresso low calorie soup for filler also add a 45 calorie ball park turkey hot dog.

Makes for a more filling lunch

We always rinse as directions state