Using My Fitness Pal while Pregnant

Options
Well I guess I should introduce myself first. My name is Kristin Vaillancourt and I have struggled with my weight all my life. I recently have lost 50lbs and then when I platued I discovered MyFitnessPal and began to loose again. Recently to my husband Tom and my great joy we have found out that I am pregnant. It is still very early, I am only 4 or 5 weeks. What I wanted to know is are there other pregnant woman that currently use my fitness pal? I know it says everywhere you are not supossed to diet while pregnant but I see my fitness pal as more of a lifestyle change. I am going to be asking my own doctor of course but I was just wondering if anyone else has any tips.

Thank You

Kristin

Replies

• missslyssa
    Options
    Hi, Kristin. Congrats on your weight loss and on your pregnancy!

I'm not pregnant .... YET. But keeping my fingers crossed. We've been trying for a long time. If/when it does happen, I plan to continue to use this as a monitor for calorie intake and weight gain. I'm overweight, and there will be a limit to how much I can gain so I think this will help. Also I've found that logging my food and exercise keeps me making better choices - a must for a growing baby. I would just make sure you talk to your doc about how many calories you should be taking in, and how much weight you should be gaining.

Much luck!!!
    Melissa
  • creoqueen1
    Options
    i recently had a baby she's 4 months and i didnt discover fitness pal until after but if i had iy it would have kept me from gainign so much weight in this pregnancy. i say you can use it ,your pregnant you wanna eat wholesoem foods like fruits and veggies and fish chicken brown rice so keep track of that and your carb, fats, protein, sugar and sodium level balance all that while pregnant you will have a smooth easy pregnancy and delivery. it will be best for you, and your baby. of course you may need more proteins and calories but intake the good one no junk start your baby and yourself off fresh and new. congragulations to you and your husband i know you'll do good
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Congrats :D

There is a group on here for pregnant ladies, that may be useful.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/124422-pregnancy-2010-october

I wish I had known about this site while I was pregnant, I used it as a time to eat too much and put on weight. It defo doesnt have to be like that though.
  • alexsmommy0412
    alexsmommy0412 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank You for the advice. I should have mentioned this is my second pregnancy. I am still overweight so I def do not want to gain alot of weight this time. I actually didn't with my son but I was also 50lbs heavier and gained more weight after he was born. I will be making an appointment with my doc and get some advice on how many calories I should be eating. I will def be using myfitnesspal so that I can keep track and make sure I am keeping to a balanced diet.

Kristin
  • SkinnyJess
    SkinnyJess Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hello and CONGRATS!!! I am hoping to be pregnant soon too. When I get pregnant I plan on changing my setting on here to maintain and not lose. I think that would give me the right amount of calories for being pregnant. I pray you have a great pregnancy and way to go on the weight loss!

Jessica :flowerforyou:
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Thank You for the advice. I should have mentioned this is my second pregnancy. I am still overweight so I def do not want to gain alot of weight this time. I actually didn't with my son but I was also 50lbs heavier and gained more weight after he was born. I will be making an appointment with my doc and get some advice on how many calories I should be eating. I will def be using myfitnesspal so that I can keep track and make sure I am keeping to a balanced diet.

Kristin

I put on lots of weight during pregnancy one (8 years ago) and never ever lost it. I got pregnant last year and came out the other side 6lb lighter than I started. I defo doesnt have to mean a big weight gain, in fact the fact I was having to eat healthy anyway was a great motivating factor. I'm sure you and baby are going to have a great healthy pregnancy and a little exercise during, means that you spring back better afterwards :D
  • alexsmommy0412
    alexsmommy0412 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have read many different things about exercising while pregnant. I didn't do much when I was pregnant with my son but now I have a daily gym routine in place and am curious just how hard I can push without hurting myself or my baby.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    Kristin -

First Congratulations! :O) I recently found out that I am pregnant as well. I am 9 weeks along :O) This is my second pregnancy (I have a 2 1/2 yr old son) and am going to the same midwives clinic that I did for my son. They have a nutritionist on staff that I talked to :o) What I was told is that logging your food intake is a great idea! :O) I am not monitoring my calories really, more making sure that I am eating healthy food and not overdoing it. :O) As for exercise... I was told that the American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society has said that 30 minutes of exercise a day is good. You do have to be careful that you don't raise your body temperature too high. What the nutritionist told me is that you could be sweaty (damp) but not have sweat running. I stopped my usual workout routine and started walking/riding the bike at the gym for 30 minutes instead.

Good luck!!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am not pregnant. I have a 14 month old though. :)

I admit, I ate complete crap while I was pregnant. Mostly fast food. So I may be no help in the "diet" zone. I do know they say not to diet, but you sure can eat healthy! Just don't do what I did and eat crap all day long and you'll be fine!
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! I just had my first son 2 months ago and gained almost 50 lbs!!! It would have been nice to have something to keep track of how many calories I was eating then so I didn't gain so much but I didn't find this site until recently. I think just writing everything you eat down helps make better choices, even if it's not dieting. Good luck!! And congrats again :)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have read many different things about exercising while pregnant. I didn't do much when I was pregnant with my son but now I have a daily gym routine in place and am curious just how hard I can push without hurting myself or my baby.

General rule is you can keep doing anything you were doing before you got pregnant because your body is used to it. You should not start a rigorous routine while pregnant (but starting a gentle exercise routine is fine.) Ie, if you run marathons before, you can do that while pregnant as long as your body is feeling up to it. I'm 6 weeks and 2 months into P90X doubles, which I intend on finishing. I just will probably ask if there is a certain heart rate % I should stay under now, though honestly, at this point I'm so tired I have been having to work out at 60% or so not 80% like normal. Third trimester heart rate may be more key to watch, but you body will probably tell you.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I am pregnant. And have found major support from the ladies in the preggers thread. I have not been logging food and only workout 2 days a week. So I have had major weight gain.

I weighed 220 when I got pregnant and by the time I was at 230 my doctor said because I was already a plus size woman, I could really go the rest of my pregnancy without gaining any weight, if I tried. I think that was the nice way of saying watch what you eat.:bigsmile:

She also said exercise was fine as long as my heart rate stayed below 130 and my body temperature wasn't too high. Not to lift any weights over 20 lbs and not to lie on my back while doing weights. She said to stick with machines that keep your body in certain positions. She did say however that when you are pregnant your ligaments and joints move more and you are more likely to get injured that is why she recommended lower reps and less weight. Plus walking at least 3 days a week.

I think you should talk to your doctor when you see him/her.
  • Ladibug23
    Ladibug23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey! Everyone is right about your heart rate, 130 max. But did you know you can add "eating for pregnancy" into your food diary and it will give you 300 extra caleries a day (I add it in as a breakfast food and it shows as a -300) I'm 5 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and refuse to gain the 60 lbs I did with my first. I know I may loose some weight now that I've decided to eat healthy but I'm not dieting so it wont hurt the baby. Right now it's allowing me 1800 caleries a day with the added in 300. So although I may not loose weight, at least I won't go crazy because I'm tracking.
  • dmartinz3
    Options
    Thanks really interesting! Where do I add that? I'm not pregnant YET but God willing I will be very soon! I'd like to know how to add "eating for pregnancy" like you stated when the time comes. Thanks!
  • dmartinz3
    Options
    Nevermind! I figured it out! :) Thanks again for the info!
  • betz39
    Options
    Hello, these posts are kind of old, but super relevant to me, i'm about 6 wks along with a 2 1/2 year old, with whom i gained 60-70lbs with during pregnancy...a lot of water weight. And it's taken a while to even lose 30 lbs in addition to the birth weight lbs. So, ive been lazy about myfitnesspal for a while but i'm determined to keep a good shape and stay healthy. I'm a floor nurse, so when I work, I move BUT there are always treats hanging around and I am an indulger, not a restricter. There are no pregnancy settings and no real calorie counters out there for pregnant women, so, i guess i am going to add some extra calories (200-300) on my daily calorie goals and will just monitor my weight by scale. Ugh I'm getting married in June, and I hope I can shape my body nicely with a pregnancy pilates video I bought with my last pregnancy. Here's to motivation! PS, i want to see my 'pounds lost' for motivation when i post this :)
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hey! Everyone is right about your heart rate, 130 max. But did you know you can add "eating for pregnancy" into your food diary and it will give you 300 extra caleries a day (I add it in as a breakfast food and it shows as a -300) I'm 5 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and refuse to gain the 60 lbs I did with my first. I know I may loose some weight now that I've decided to eat healthy but I'm not dieting so it wont hurt the baby. Right now it's allowing me 1800 caleries a day with the added in 300. So although I may not loose weight, at least I won't go crazy because I'm tracking.

Thank you so much!! so glad you can add this as an option!!!!
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Question - do you set your profile to maintain current weight, lose weight, or gain weight? thanks so much!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Question - do you set your profile to maintain current weight, lose weight, or gain weight? thanks so much!

I set it to maintain around 10 weeks in. I didn't set to "gain" since I figured I'd be going a little over on calories anyway and my body would gain what it needed to, and if I needed to eat a little more, I would. I thought if I set to "gain" that I'd force a gain and go overboard. I ended up gaining 30 lbs with my pregnancy, which was probably about perfect. I didn't log at all with my first and I gained 50 that time!

PS - I also worked out a lot and ate those back too.
  • cpereira1221
    Options
    I'm not pregnant but I've tried the "eating for pregnancy" in my food diary to see if it would come up with something that said -300 so I could eat more without my diary showing a. -300 at the end of the day and nothing came up except for certain foods that subtract instead of add to your calorie count. The only alternative I could think of was changing my calorie goal under profile settings... Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know if things may have changed?!