How do I track a saladnfor calories?

Options
So, I really just started to force myself to eat salad....at 45 yrs old, I don't really like fruit or veggies but I need to learn. So, today was day #2 of making a salad from the cafeteria at work, but how do I track it? I had maybe a 7" plate with spinach leaves, regular lettuce mix, red & green peppers, a little cheese, and maybe 15 small croutons with FF French dressing. Not the best variety but I'm focusing on just establishing a routine of eating greens/veggies. Any helpful hints or suggestions? Do You make them at home and bring to work? What is healthy on a salad?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Generally I estimate the amount of each ingredient and log them separately in my food log.

Also, don't be afraid to get crazy with salads - throw in whatever you like!
  • lucky312
    lucky312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just put in an estimated guess, usually higher than it probably was so that I can account for everything.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I log everything, and if unsure of the amount of calories i go with the higher of them. Or an average. Like if u dont know what brand dressing u ate but know its fat free french, type fat free. French and i would use the one with the most cals. Just be careful in knowing how much u used. Best to dip ur salads into dressings then to smear them on all over!
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tend to log whatever the Main ingrediants are and whatever I know is going to add to the count. example.

2 cup lettuce
    2 cup spinach
    1/4 cup cucumber
    0.5 regular carrot
    0.5 tomato
    1 serving (6) black olives.
    2oz dressing.

I might also have on there some celery, radish, and variation of many other things but then I just estimate in more of something I all ready have on there. unless its protein. That is always done on its own.

Once you do this once or twice everything should just be in your recent or most used section and you can just pick away every time you have one.

as for the dressing I used to bring it from home. measure out in a small container and then put that in a ziplock in whatever is going to work with me so as not to spill it everywhere. I have since stopped using the dressing.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Generally I estimate the amount of each ingredient and log them separately in my food log.

Also, don't be afraid to get crazy with salads - throw in whatever you like!
    I go to the recipes tab under food and put the ingrediants in and then save my recipe,especially if it is something I eat alot. That way you don't have to log so many items the next time you eat that salad.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    also once u have everything listed you can click on " quick tools " & then click on remember this as a meal so next time just go under "meals " and it will be there-- I do this with certain dinners I eat-- like tacos, speghetti, a chicken wrap i make cos i will eat the same amount when i make it again and is easier
  • bellanoelle
    bellanoelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help...I love the idea of saving meals!