Trouble area :-/

Options
just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to loose the dreadful belly bulge. I was thinking crunches but then I hear it would just build muscle under the fat?! So frustrated! I know regular cardio will help but anyone have ideas to speed the fat melt????? Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to loose the dreadful belly bulge. I was thinking crunches but then I hear it would just build muscle under the fat?! So frustrated! I know regular cardio will help but anyone have ideas to speed the fat melt????? Thank you in advance!!!
    Diet will help you not cardio.
  • KelseyPalmtree
    Options
    It's a combination of diet and exercise.

Cardio will help burn the fat away, and doing crunches and other strengthening exercises will help you have a higher at rest metabolism.

Make sure you drink enough water and get enough sleep too, that helps keep your body working at it's best.
  • KelseyPalmtree
    Options
    cardio is an important part of losing fat, not just diet.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    What you eat is important and so is exercise. Full body exercise such as the elliptical, running and swimming is great and also your strength training is important.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have to lose the fat that covers up the muslces (ie eating heathy and cutting calories). But I recommend doing Insanity by Beach Body. It's an all over interval work out for 60 days. I've just about lost all my belly fat with it and its a great intense workout. Even if your not in very good shape you can always work up to it. This program really works the core so its a whole lot more than just regular crunches.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Eating right and building muscle all over. Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry one part of the sponge if the rest of the sponge is still wet.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My mom-gut was my worst part and what cut it was very straight-forward......cut my calories, low carb, low sugar, high protein diet and I work out 5-6 days a week and I do about half cardio and half conditioning. Even doing conditioning (sit ups, ab work) raises your heart rate and burns fat so the whole idea that "you'll only build muscle under there" is kind of silly. ;)

I was honestly SHOCKED and how fast my gut went away after all these years. Just doing what we all know we HAVE to do and I was in a pants size smaller in 3 weeks and my muffin top is virtually gone!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Eat well, exercise (including strength training), drink water, and be patient.
  • nbarry2284
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that if you do strength training(crunches/sit-ups/weights) then follow it with cardio you will burn fat faster and easier...at least that's what Jillian Michael says on 30 day shred...which has several success stories on here and I am currently working on this workout. I have not been strict on doing it so I have only lost about 1 inch on my waist, but I am happy it's working for my belly...if you want to try it, it's at walmart for $10...also could look online for different types of crunches that you can make your own workout with and then add cardio...Good luck
  • RebeccaEveSic
    Options
    This is a common complaint! You can flatten that area with a proper balance of diet (paying special attention to your sugar, and carbohydrate intake), intense resistance training, and interval style cardio.

I am not sure what your current diet, and exercise program includes, but the one simplest changes you can make right away is to remove refined sugar. Stick to one dessert a week, and replace all sweetners with an alternative like stevia or xylitol. Eating large amounts of sugar will cause the body to store fat, and not burn it.

Also, do not worry about crunches making you bulky--it just won't happen! Unless you are crunching with a 25lb weight on your chest, then you have nothing to worry about.

I know these are very general recommendations, but I hope it helps.
  • mayaeberhard
    Options
    I think JM's 6pack abs is an awesome video workout as it is a great cardiovascular builder and abdominal challenge.
    No such thing as spot training, but a strong core is always a good start!

Plank, jump squats, burpee's are all great as they work large muscle groups and burn more....

Oh, and get lots of sleep and no stress to lower your cortisol in your blood (this tends to create abdominal fat that is hard to burn)....
  • nbarry2284
    Options
    Thank you again everyone!!!!! I'm going to start really watching my sugars and look
    Into that 30 day video!!! Thank you!!!