Having questions about insulin resistance HELP!

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
Does anyone know about this? Well, I think I may be insulin resistant and I got a book about it that I need to read. I think this is the reason I have so much trouble loosing weight. I am not looking for some excuse, I am looking for a reason so I can do what it takes to get weight off.

I am very proud of myself so far, when I eat out I get grilled chicken without the bun. I get burgers at Steak and shake sans bun! Now, I have not cut out all carbs or anyhing, I am trying to find a balance, What I am trying to do it cut out refined sugar. I feel like I am having withdrawals. It is a physical ...almost a pain coming from within....I want to tear at my hair and scream when I get hit with the urge for sugar. I can resist eating it, but I get this....it's not even a craving and I liken it to an addition a drug addict is trying to overcome. I feel as though I need to be in rehab! HELP!!

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you think you are insulin resistant, don't read a book. See a doctor. Its not something to self medicate.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    There are many different medical conditions that can make losing weight difficult. Insulin resistance, thyroid problems, etc. Check with your doctor if you're concerned an actual condition is affecting your weight loss.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    One way you can help yourself if you are insulin resistant is to improve insulin sensitivity. I took a quick look at your diary. If I were you I would go into goals/ change goals/custom and set my carbs to 20% and my fats and protein to 40% each. This will still give you somehwere between 70 and 100 gams of carbs so on the edge of ketogenic but not full bloqwn low carb. After a week or 2 on the mix, your insulin sensitivity should start to improve. If not, the advise to visit a Doctor may be in order as the issue may be thyroid or some other issue. Just FYI, the MFP default for settings is 55% carbs. Too high in general in my opinion but way too high if trying to increase insulin sensititiy. Also, be sure to eliminate all simple sugars and simple carbs. They work against you in increasing insulin sensitivity by causing insulin spikes.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of fad diets, but the South Beach diet can really help with sugar cravings. Its a tough first two weeks and with very low carbs and then they are slowly added back in. Ask your doctor about it. Except for the first two weeks it is a very healthy well balanced diet.

Oh and I do not work for them....
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Well, I talked to my doc, and she well...smiled and nodded at me. I can't switch, I'm stuck with her.

I was going to try switching up what I'm eating and try balancing carbs and protein and cut out refined sugars. There are several symptoms I have that lead me to believe I could be insulin resistance and the simplest thing I could do on my own is try switching up how I eat carbs . I've always lost weight slowly, but now it's sooooo sllllloooowwwww! I will have my thyroid checked if this doesn't work.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance is not something you need to go to a doctor for. It just means your body not handling carbs very well. Losing some weight will help and cutting out the refined carbs will definitely help. Also, a biggie is exercise - like strenght training - that will improve insulin sensitivity.
  • DanaNicolle
    DanaNicolle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor order a fasting blood glucose test. If your glucose levels are above 100, he or she may order a "blood glucose tolerance test". I had one of these done, and I was put on metformin. Since the diabetes scare, I have dropped 44 pounds, and had my blood work review yesterday. My levels are back down to normal :) Losing weight helps with everything...and the good news is....if you do have insulin resistance and higher blood sugar levels, the metformin can aid in your weight loss. Good luck with everything!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance is not something you need to go to a doctor for.
    It is if it's leading to diabetes (i.e., you are pre-diabetic) or if you need to be prescribe metformin.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of fad diets, but the South Beach diet can really help with sugar cravings. Its a tough first two weeks and with very low carbs and then they are slowly added back in. Ask your doctor about it. Except for the first two weeks it is a very healthy well balanced diet.

Oh and I do not work for them....
    The South Beach plan was first developed to help prevent diabetes and heart disease, and weight loss was a bonus. It should be an excellent plan for those who are insulin resistant. I follow it because I want to avoid developing diabetes. Some good carbs are allowed in phase one--lots of veggies and also beans, which are high in carbs. After following phase one I completely lost my sweet cravings--best thing about the plan. :)
  • robidy
    robidy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance thru a GI Dr. He ran some tests etc.
    I am on 2 medications - and do have a restricted diet.
    There are a lot of foods that have 'irritants' - tyamene(I believe) that actually causes my stomach to have little seizures.
    When I first was diagnosed a few years back - I dropped some weight pretty easily.
    Now though, it is very difficult for me to lose weight.
    I am working with my DR and right now and checking my glucose levels.
    I recommend going to see a GI Dr. to determine what is going on with you - if nothing else
    it will hopefully provide you with some information and relieve your frustration.
    I TOTALLY empathize with you and am, and have been here, for a few months.
    Just last week switched up diet, with my restrictions, and following Paleo.
    First weigh-in since the switch is tomorrow....:wink: