Gym HATER - Exercises in the home ? Help please

Options
Hello. I am Lisa I'm 31 and have lost 7lbs so far with MFP. I am trying to incorporate some exercise into my life now that I've got the food under control but I absolutely HATE the gym. I walk my dogs whenever possible but I would like some suggestions for anything I can do at home. Also feel free to friend me thanks x

Replies

• felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dont necessarily hate the gym but im really self conscious as well as poor, so I never go.

even though it isnt "at home" I started hiking which seems to me to be a good combination of cardio and strength training - and i usually dont notice that im exercising. I'll get huffy and sweat but I dont actually feel like im putting in "exercise" ... well until its over and i get in my car and realize what a hot sweaty mess I am haha

also its free.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you - I often think about 'hiking' to uni and back but I never give myself enough time in the morning.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Are you up for buying dumbells etc or are you looking for body weight only excersises? There are tons of different dvds out there using dumbells, rubberbands, bodyweight. If you tell us more about what you like or dont like, and what your goals are maybe its easier to point you in the right direction.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I do body weight exercises (pushups, lunges, planks, etc) and strength training with a variety of dumbbells. Walking and running are also good "home" choices.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I take three classes a week and workout at home. I have a jump rope, resistance bands, 5lb & 10lb weights and tons of apps on my iPhone. You can get a awesome workout without leaving your house.
  • JulieG1443
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/

100s of home workouts that can be done without equipment and some with very basic equipment such as chairs and an exercise ball. doing these circuits has changed my life!
  • Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I run three days, soon to be four days, a week. I also use this app on iphone called Nike Training Club. Has very good workouts and it's FREE!!
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fab thanks for the link x:happy:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you like walking you might like "Walk at Home" DVDs. These are basically no choregraphy aerobics. Leslie Sansone is the instructor her latest is Walk Slim 5 Really Big Miles ....... chaptered so you pick the number of miles you want to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related 5 Minute Walk

collagevideo.com has clips of workouts & lots of information.

Kelly Coffee Meyer 30 Minutes to Fitness is a series. Her Body Training DVD requires no equipment
  • iMatzy
    iMatzy Posts: 11
    Options
    I use the Nike Training Camp app too, I really love it ;)
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like to work out first thing in the morning, 6am but am a whimp and don't want to go out in the dark and cold. So I do a ton of exercise DVDs. I have weights, bands, a stepper, and just got Zumba for the Wii. I personally like alot of The Firm DVDs but check out Collage Video. You can preview the workouts and their staff rates which I find helpful. Good luck!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I bought a medicine ball, started with a 10 pound one. I do crunches, squats and arm extensions with it. I also do planks, wall holds and pilates as well as walking/jogging/biking a couple times a week. I've lost 15 pounds since I joined Mfp last month.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's DVDs. All you need is dumbbells. 30DS is very good, I also like 6Week6Pack. I have 5 of her DVDs and 2 new ones on the way. Haha you could say I LOVE them :)
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have one thing to say to this post: Bodyrock.tv. This is the best online free workout i've ever seen. You watch the workout on youtube. Then you do it at home at your pace. They now have beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts. I started Feb 6 and as of last friday I was already down 6lbs. They are amazing and helpful.
  • TriciaLB
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? They have a lot of workout video's that you can stream online for free.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i work out at home all the time. I use the 30 Day Shred DVD and Bob Harper DVD's. You just need a few hand weights.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Buy the bands and alternate upper and lower body. There is DVD's out there to go with them. Buy a bike and ride on the alternate days. Monday Wednesday Friday bike, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday use the bands alternating upper and lower body.

The bike you can hook up with groups which is a lot of fun to do while working out.
  • lashr
    lashr Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

I bought the ten minute trainer work out dvd. Its amazing! There are 6 ten minute work out sessions that you can do at home and combine them if you have the time. When I was doing it religiously I lost 5 pounds in one week. I just started doing the workouts again and I feel great. I will warn you that you will be sore for the first week but its convenient and you know that it works because you will feel it!

I hope this helps.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym at all...ever. If I have to go somewhere AND workout...nope...one or the other but I am too lazy for both.

So, I do HIIT someone before mentioned bodyrock.tv. That is where I started. Now I do Zuzka's workouts that she has been doing for the last 6 weeks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9qkSoucdg&feature=g-u-u&context=G27be333FUAAAAAAAAAA That was today's and that is what I did (though I did 12 minutes instead of 10).

I also do weights. I started with light ones from 5-15 pounds. Just dumbbells. Yesterday I ordered some heavier ones that will be here tomorrow...so I will have up to 105 pounds to work with. Weights are a great way to tone up. It is also very quick to do.

There is always DVDs too like Jillian's DVD's. They aren't my favorite as I am not a fan of her but they work well for a lot of people and most of them are short too which is nice if you are in a time crunch.

There is also always dancing. It burns a lot of calories. If you have a wii or a motion based game system you can get Just Dance (1, 2, or 3) and that is a great way to burn a bunch of cals in 20/30 minutes.

There are a TON of options for things to do at home!
  • kmbrleykay
    Options
    I am in a group challenge on Mfp and we have a different exercise challenge every week. this weeks challenge is a great workout & only takes about 20 mins. They named it the 100 Workout, as follows
    100 Jumping jacks
    90 crunches
    80 squats
    70 leg lifts
    60 wood choppers
    50 jumping jacks
    40 crunches
    30 squats
    20 leg lifts
    10 wood choppers
    Belive me you will know you have exercised.