Strength training, Heavy lifting & Dieting...New at this!

Options
Well I've been using MFP for about 3 weeks now and seeing some really great results, just from the calorie deficit. I'm 5'3.5", not quite 3 months postpartum. I've lost about 7lbs since the start of this month, it says 14lbs cause I joined when I was 5 months pg.
I've finally gotten over my plateau of 145lbs, I've been stuck at for probably 8 years (minus during pregnancies). I'm breast feeding now, so that could be contributing also. I really don't exercise much, maybe 10 minutes of strength training here and there on the Wii Fit. Well from reading a lot of topics on here, I'm finding that in order to get toned, I need to do heavy lifting. I'm all for it, if that's what it takes! I just have some questions.
- Are there some basic weights I can get for at home use, since I stay home with 2 kids during the day, or do I absolutely need to get a gym membership? Which weights should I invest in? My bf thinks the weights will break through the floor, but I know I wont be using that heavy of weights for a long time.
- Should I get some protein powder for when I start lifting? Does it matter what kind? Should I up my caloric intake?
- Is the strength training on the Wii fit helping me?
- Am I going to stop losing weight once I start lifting since I'll be putting on muscle?

I also need to talk to my cardiologist about lifting, I have some heart defects and recently had a stent placed. I'm sure he'll put me on a restriction :/

Thanks in advance! This is the story that made me really want to start lifting: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Replies

• FitBritt1
    Options
    Hi Dreamy885,

I have been on MFP for a few weeks now too and have also become interested in weight lifting. I read another post that recommend bodybuilding.com. I checked it out and it has great tips, videos and exercise plans. I hope this helps! Good luck : )
  • dreamy885
    Options
    bump
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    - Are there some basic weights I can get for at home use
    For your heavy lifting goal... not really, anything you buy will soon be too light. If you wanted you can look into sand bags, kettlebells, and adjustable dumbbells, but you are still limited.
    do I absolutely need to get a gym membership?
    This would be the best
    Which weights should I invest in?
    You are looking at spending around $300 to $500. If you want to check out elite fts, and bumper plates. Check craigslist, don't buy a bowflex
    - Should I get some protein powder for when I start lifting?
    Chicken, beef, pork, fish, shrimp, milk are all protein. You should have a higher protein intake for lifting though. How you get that protein into your body doesn't really matter
    Should I up my caloric intake?
    Depends on your goals. I would at least eat at maintenance for a few months, and adjust from there.
    yes, but very little compared to free weight
    - Am I going to stop losing weight once I start lifting since I'll be putting on muscle?
    Possibly, depends on diet. You can hope to gain about 10 pounds of muscle in a years worth of lifting.
    I also need to talk to my cardiologist about lifting, I have some heart defects and recently had a stent placed. I'm sure he'll put me on a restriction
    That would be very wise
  • dreamy885
    Options
    Wow thank you :)

My goal is to lower my body fat %, granted I haven't had mine checked but I'm sure its not so great. I want to look toned, now that I'm starting to lose some weight. I want to wear smaller jeans! I want to lose the muffin top and don't want my thighs to rub together anymore :P

Should I continue my "diet" and wait until I've lost more before I start lifting or does it matter?

I don't see my doctor for my follow up until Tuesday, but I'll see what he says. I know in the past he has told me not to exercise lifting more than 40lbs :/ I'm not sure what kind of results I can hope to see with that restriction...
  • illtemperedsebas
    Options
    Try body weight exercises , get a pull up bar( use a chair to assist when you start), push ups, etc. some small dumbells is all you need to get started. You can buy this stuff used on craigs list/kijiji. Bodyrock TV and crossfit are great sites to show you how to lift properly. just don't go nuts at first!!!
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If your doctor okays it, I wouldn't wait to start lifting. You can still lose fat while lifting; in fact heavy lifting helps to ensure that you lose mostly fat and not as much muscle.

When I started lifting, I changed to a minor caloric deficit (250) because strength training made me hungry and I wanted to eat enough to fuel those workouts.

My scale weight hasn't changed as much since I started lifting, but body composition continues to improve. Don't pay so much attention to the scale.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I would suggest avoiding "heavy lifting" unless I misunderstand what you are saying. My suggestion would be to go for a toning routine doing higher reps at lower weights. You'll build muscle, which promotes burning calories and fat. Something to look at is a program like P90X which has limited equipment requirements. in fact, you can use bands for a lot of the workouts. It's a real commitment, but with the correct diet, this plan can really get you started on the path to a new look.
  • BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Start weight training as soon as possible. You can do plenty with 40 pounds. Weight traning will help your diet more than anything and help to ensure you retain what muscle you may have as you loose fat.
  • dreamy885
    Options
    Thinking about getting some kettle bells, looks like it might be a good place to start.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    I would suggest avoiding "heavy lifting" unless I misunderstand what you are saying. My suggestion would be to go for a toning routine doing higher reps at lower weights.

This is complete BRO-Science, there is no truth what so ever to your statement. Please do more research before you start to post things like this, it is not beneficial to the MFP community.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    My goal is to lower my body fat %, granted I haven't had mine checked but I'm sure its not so great.
    Eat at a calorie deficit
    I want to look toned. I want to wear smaller jeans! I want to lose the muffin top and don't want my thighs to rub together anymore
    Weight Lift more than cardio, 80% Strength 20% Cardio
    Should I continue my "diet" and wait until I've lost more before I start lifting or does it matter?
    Eat at a deficit as long as you are trying to get your body weight in grams of protein. So if you weight 200pounds try to eat 200g of protein a day. (i know you don't weight 200lbs)
    I don't see my doctor for my follow up until Tuesday, but I'll see what he says. I know in the past he has told me not to exercise lifting more than 40lbs :/ I'm not sure what kind of results I can hope to see with that restriction...
    There are many ways to lift effectively with 40 pounds or less. Granted your progress may take longer, but you can get pretty far with 40 pounds.

Please don't listen to the people who advocate light weight high reps, as far as your goal goes it is very ineffective.
  • dreamy885
    Options
    Please don't listen to the people who advocate light weight high reps, as far as your goal goes it is very ineffective.

Thank you for all your help, I'm not listening to them, don't worry :) I've been doing enough reading on here to learn that heavy lifting is extremely beneficial for weight loss and toning :)
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    As an ex-heavy lifter, I ask that you be careful with your lifting! I've witnessed and had my own injury caused by heavy lifting. That was the point of my comment that others are telling you to disregard. I'm losing more weight and feel much better now that I've removed some of the weight.

I wish you all the best on reaching your goals!!!
  • bjlkt2
    bjlkt2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    HI! :) From another girl, who has been around the weight-lifting block, I understand these questions and can answer from experience. :)

Should I get some protein powder for when I start lifting? Does it matter what kind? Should I up my caloric intake?

Nope! You definitely do NOT need protein powder. I've been lifting about two years now and have never taken it. Honestly, protein powder is for guys who want to get really big. Not for girls, even if they do (and I do!) want to build muscle. We can get enough protein from our diet to not need a protein powder boost. I highly recommend skim milk. Delicious, fat free, good protein. Other lean protein like fish and turkey and such will help you round out your necessary amount. At 5'7", I aim for approx 75g of protein a day, and that's easy to get. Sometimes I go over without really trying :P

It's certainly not hurting, but honestly, I doubt it's doing much. It's better than nothing, though.

Not necessarily. I am both gaining muscle and losing fat, and while my "weight loss" is technically slower than it would be without weight-lifting (because I'm gaining weight from muscle), my weight is still dropping. Also, that extra muscle helps burn more fat, even when you're not working out. So even if the number on the scale doesn't go down, your body will be much healthier AND look leaner and more toned in the end...an athletic and healthy look rather than "skinny fat" (http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/skinny-fat-butt.jpg)
  • bjlkt2
    bjlkt2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Um...also, you do NOT need a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, like someone else said. That is WAAAAAAAAY overkill. My boyfriend is a heavy lifter, 205lbs, and HE doesn't eat more than 125-150g. And he's a male.

You can search for protein calculators online to find a good amount for you.