Do you believe

Options
I'm just curious as to if there's any proof or do you believe that you can eat whatever you want -- in the right portions-- and still lose weight? I really hate giving up food and I always need protein and especially calcium (for you ladies out there, I'm on Depo Provera and the calcium loss that it can cause can be very detrimental to your bones) so I drink a lot of milk (2-3 glasses a night) and eat a lot of cottage cheese as well as take calcium pills. So I was just wondering if this was true or not.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true. There was a guy who did an all-potato diet, and a guy who did an all-Twinkie diet, and they lost weight. It's not great for your health, but it would work for weight.

It's all about portions. You know that the more you eat, the more weight you will gain. So let's say you eat 12 cheeseburgers every day - you'd gain weight. If you ate only 10 cheeseburgers every day - you'd gain weight. But if you keep lowering that number, at some point you're eating less food than you need. If you eat 1 cheeseburger a day, or a 1/2 cheeseburger a day, you'd lose weight. because it's simply not enough food.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well, I want the weight gone but I want my health back up too. I'm a hypoglycemic, so I have to watch my intake of anything but lately i've been binging bad i think from the stress of a new school and i eat until I'm more than full just because it sounds good and that's horrible for me. I've never been this heavy and I want to lose weight but I dont want to cut out everything I like to eat, I'm a carnivore, I need my meat, I love chicken but I like to have some beef now and then too. I feel like the majority of my calories and carbs come from drinks though. I can easily fill up on drinks, pop and water and I've tried cutting the pop out completely which worked while I was sick and only drinking water and juice but after I got better I went back to pop because it was in the house and I wanted to get rid of it and even though it tasted horrid after not having it for 13 days, I drank it anyway. =/
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You CAN get by eating whatever you want in the right portions, but it's a lot easier for me to try to eat certain foods over others. For example, if I don't get enough fiber in the day, I don't digest well and the next day I'm backed up. Same with water. If I drink too much pop, coffee, etc, my stomach hurts from all the acid. If I eat too much processed food, I'm hungry and weak again shortly after eating.

I find that I function best when I eat lots of whole grains, protein, veggies and drink lots of water. Do I still eat junk? Absolutely. I love a good chocolate here and there, but I just can't eat crap all day every day.
  • Mvanx009
    Options
    I feel like the majority of my calories and carbs come from drinks though. I can easily fill up on drinks, pop and water and I've tried cutting the pop out completely which worked while I was sick and only drinking water and juice but after I got better I went back to pop because it was in the house and I wanted to get rid of it and even though it tasted horrid after not having it for 13 days, I drank it anyway. =/

If I could give everyone in this world 1 healthy eating tip it would be PLEASE STOP DRINKING SODAS.. all kinds, diet sodas too, are EXTREMELY bad for you. Ignore the calories, ignore the sugar, sodas have awful chemicals in them that should not be consumed... period. Do a little research and see what it is you are drinking... I will just say this there is a reason why Coke will eat the corrosion off a car battery and that's no exception for any other sodas. After I found out that Mountain Dew can liquify a dead animal.... I stopped drinking it and it was not a hard decision to make after knowing that.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. The science for weight loss is simple. Consume less calories than your body burns. Your body doesn't care if those calories come from cake or carrots. A calorie is a calorie.

I have not cut one item of my eating. Some I eat less of because I am trying to fit them into all my goals including restricting carbs and sodium. But if i want chips I eat them. Just one portion and not one bag. :-)
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    [ After I found out that Mountain Dew can liquify a dead animal.... [/quote]

I assume this works for people as well? Might be good to know..... :wink:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yup!!

<--- still eats junk food
    With healthy foods too of course :D
    Hit your macros and enjoy what you are eating
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think I could.

The problem being, when I have something I want and like, moderation goes out the window.

I believe that's the problem with most people.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

If I could give everyone in this world 1 healthy eating tip it would be PLEASE STOP DRINKING SODAS.. all kinds, diet sodas too, are EXTREMELY bad for you. Ignore the calories, ignore the sugar, sodas have awful chemicals in them that should not be consumed... period. Do a little research and see what it is you are drinking... I will just say this there is a reason why Coke will eat the corrosion off a car battery and that's no exception for any other sodas. After I found out that Mountain Dew can liquify a dead animal.... I stopped drinking it and it was not a hard decision to make after knowing that.

Sigh.....

Have you ever thrown up before? You know that burning feeling from your stomach acid? Yeah, that's in your body all the time. So if you think corrosive Coca-Cola is bad for a car battery, what do you think your stomach acid would do to it?

The body likes homeostasis. If you drink something acidic, it will adjust itself to get your body back to a more alkaline state. If you eat a massive amount of leafy vegetables and make your body too alkaline, it will adjust itself back to being more acidic. It has a very specific area it likes to sit. (around 7.4)

The fear mongering argument about the dangers of diet soda need to stop. If anything, it's bad for your teeth so that's reason enough not to drink it. Other than that, it helps people lose weight.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I feel like the majority of my calories and carbs come from drinks though. I can easily fill up on drinks, pop and water and I've tried cutting the pop out completely which worked while I was sick and only drinking water and juice but after I got better I went back to pop because it was in the house and I wanted to get rid of it and even though it tasted horrid after not having it for 13 days, I drank it anyway. =/

If you think that's bad, you should see what oxygen and water can do to iron. People should quit breathing and drinking IMMEDIATELY!!
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you can definitely lose weight by eating whatever you want as long as you keep a calorie deficit. as many will point out, it may not be the healthiest way, but you will lose weight.

that being said, i still incorporate things i love into my diet and just make sure to account for them accordingly. but i do find the longer i am keeping track of my calories and macros, the more i am beginning to make wise choices, and starting to want the "junk" less.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Google: twinkie diet

That should end all worries :smile:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You can truly eat whatever you want.

You're right about the calcium, keep drinking your milk!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    First off, yes, soda is bad for you, but a hell of a lot of things are worse. Not trying to get into an argument or a debate. Everyone knows soda is bad, but so is coffee and cocaine and people still do it. I'd rather put soda into my body for a temporary fix of energy than cocaine or hell even an energy drink. I do not drink coke or mountain dew. Usually a sprite or pepsi. Only dr pepper if I'm mixing it with rum (=

Second,
    What are these "macros" everyone speaks of?

Third, I don't want to cut out everything I love, but I have to find a way to balance what I eat with what I drink. As I said, I can fill up on milk alone as I drink probably 3 8oz glasses a day (1 sometimes 2% I was on whole because of the calcium that I need but it was making me sick as it always has)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Second,
    What are these "macros" everyone speaks of?

Macros is a slang term referring to your macronutrients meaning carbohydrates, protein, and fat. Micros are the micronutrients like potassium, vitamins, etc.

Depending on your goals, you may need to adjust how you hit your macros. For me, since I like to lift, I have a very high protein macro goal, while my carb and fat goals I really don't care about that much.

Oh, and drink your soda in moderation. You're totally fine.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yup. So long as your calories in are lower than your calories out, it doesn't matter what you eat. When I was in high school, and running cross-country, along with training for my first-degree black belt, I lived on a diet of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, donuts, Junior Mints, and pizza. I lost 15lbs that semester, easy, without trying at all.

Of course, that is NOT the healthiest way to do it. Your body uses calories for energy, plain and simple, but to keep up cellular processes and remain healthy, you need vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. You can go for a while on junk food and lose weight, but you won't be as healthy long-term as you would be if you were aiming for nutrient-rich food.

And there are other products that have more calcium than cow's milk or dairy products. Spinach, almond milk, salmon, tuna, nuts and beans are all high in calcium. We don't drink cow's milk in our house, so we make up for it by aiming for higher-calcium foods elsewhere.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Sigh.....

Have you ever thrown up before? You know that burning feeling from your stomach acid? Yeah, that's in your body all the time. So if you think corrosive Coca-Cola is bad for a car battery, what do you think your stomach acid would do to it?

The body likes homeostasis. If you drink something acidic, it will adjust itself to get your body back to a more alkaline state. If you eat a massive amount of leafy vegetables and make your body too alkaline, it will adjust itself back to being more acidic. It has a very specific area it likes to sit. (around 7.4)

The fear mongering argument about the dangers of diet soda need to stop. If anything, it's bad for your teeth so that's reason enough not to drink it. Other than that, it helps people lose weight.
    This. Quoted for truth.

And yes, you can eat whatever your want within your calorie limit. Some is healthier, that's the only difference. So long as you stay within your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. I wouldn't be very healthy if I ate nothing but 1200 calories worth of Kraft Mac & cheese everyday, but I'd probably lose weight.

That being said, I still eat crap food. I like it. Wouldn't want to live without it.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Google: twinkie diet

That should end all worries :smile:

i was just thinking about this one... this person certainly wouldn't be healthy over time, but your question was about losing weight. question answered.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    And there are other products that have more calcium than cow's milk or dairy products. Spinach, almond milk, salmon, tuna, nuts and beans are all high in calcium. We don't drink cow's milk in our house, so we make up for it by aiming for higher-calcium foods elsewhere.

I know, but I do NOT eat fish of any kind, well, I'll say I don't eat seafood period. I love milk, I've tried soy milk and I like it but not on my cereal and I don't have the money to buy both, so I stick to cow's milk. I like spinach, but only on sandwiches. I'm a very picky eater and I do eat nuts and beans but not daily.