Ragu/Prego/premade pasta sauce

Options
Is this bad for you? I love red pasta sauce and it says on the bottle that its a serving of vegetables and its only 35 calories per 1/4 cup

I like having it on veggies and stuff that i normally dont like (for lunch i had it on cauliflower which i find gross but made it more tolerable)

Replies

• sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it would be bad for you?
  • darina23
    darina23 Posts: 114
    Options
    Tomato products actually help you lose weight.

If you love pasta sauce, try spaghetti squash. It's very low on carbs and when you dress it up with pasta sauce, it tastes like angel hair pasta! I love it.
  • maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    they just came out with a new sauce, its called Prego Light Smart. It has 50 calories for 1/2 cup of sauce. maybe worth trying
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not! I could literally eat pasta sauce with a spoon and I love it on veggies too! Some sauces are better than others though. Go for canned pasta sauces with low sodium and low sugar. I really like a brand called "Simply Natural" that I get at Costco, but lots of the grocery store brands are totally fine too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not! I could literally eat pasta sauce with a spoon and I love it on veggies too! Some sauces are better than others though. Go for canned pasta sauces with low sodium and low sugar. I really like a brand called "Simply Natural" that I get at Costco, but lots of the grocery store brands are totally fine too.

Canned tomato products are extremely high in BPA (as is canned tuna, canned soda and anything acidic that comes in a can). BPA is a chemical that is used in some plastics and the lining of cans. It causes reproductive problems and a number of other serious health problems.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. You just have to watch the sodium and sugar added. Just like anything else, ignore the front label, turn it around and read the nutrition label and ingredients.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The only thing really to watch for is HFCS and preservatives. Most canned sauces are preservative free, though, and many are made without sugar or HFCS. I say eat on! :)
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    they just came out with a new sauce, its called Prego Light Smart. It has 50 calories for 1/2 cup of sauce. maybe worth trying

I tried this one I think cause of the calories and sodium count, but found it bland. :sad:

I love my Rather Robusto Six Cheese sauce. I just work it into my day. It's just not worth it to eat something I don't enjoy. I want to make these changes to last a lifetime!!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Canned tomato products are extremely high in BPA (as is canned tuna, canned soda and anything acidic that comes in a can). BPA is a chemical that is used in some plastics and the lining of cans. It causes reproductive problems and a number of other serious health problems.

A majority of pasta sauces come in a jar, not a can.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The sodium is a little on the high side, but not too bad, other than that, I think it's a great alternative to oh let's say ranch for a veggie dip.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients carefully to check for sodium and added sugar. As long as there isn't any extra sugar and not too much sodium, it is a good pick.

But it really is easy to make your own as well.

If you take a can of crushed tomatoes with basil, diced tomatoes (no salt). Sautee some onions in a little bit of olive oil (around 1/2 an onion). Add 2 cloves of garlic when those are soft. Add about 2 teaspoons of dried italian seasoning. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, maybe some chili flakes or extra oregano or basil and cook it around 20 minutes on medium low you will have a tasty sauce. You can even add a splash of balsamic to round out the flavors. This is a perfect base for spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, and anything else. I like to mix in bell peppers, browned hot links, and extra lean ground beef. And then simmer those for another 15 minutes for the best spaghetti sauce.

I make my own all the time. Those ingredients are always in the cupboard.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options

By canned I meant jarred etc. Most cans in grocery stores are now BPA free, but I meant the jars of pasta sauce. :)