New wanna-be runner need help

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Need some assistance from runners! I have been running/walking in my day to day shoes but I was told that having a seperate set of shoes just for running is ideal, even if they're mediocre kind of shoes. Any truth to that? or should I just continue using my regular shoes I use for day to day activity? Kinda poor so I would like to avoid the extra cost but at the same time I plan to run a 5k next month or start of april

Replies

• Workin4it
    Options
    Definatly go get a seperate pair for running/walking. goto a store where someone can help you get the right kind of shoe for your foot also, trust me it will make a BIG difference. I was using my regular shoe when I first started and once I got one just for running my run/ workout was so much better! Expecially if you are planning any kind of race. Make sure you use them a few time before the race also.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Definatly go get a seperate pair for running/walking. goto a store where someone can help you get the right kind of shoe for your foot also, trust me it will make a BIG difference. I was using my regular shoe when I first started and once I got one just for running my run/ workout was so much better! Expecially if you are planning any kind of race. Make sure you use them a few time before the race also.

I second that!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Well there's a half truth ... yes, you do need another pair of shoes just for running.

However .... don't let anyone ever tell you, "even if they're mediocre." You very much need the right shoes for your feet.

Go to a running store that specializes in measuring your feet and analyzing your gait. Reputable running stores will do this free of charge. From there they'll let you try on several pairs of shoes and let you run in them - either on their treadmill or in their parking lot. Finding the right shoe for your feet is one of the keys to running injury free. While you're there, get some good socks. They're worth their weight in gold, too.
  • dresser2000
    Options
    Dedicated running shoes from a running store--where they measure your foot, watch you run, etc, is an investment. I just barely started running, and was using my regular shoes, and then a "mediocre" dedicated pair, and I developed terrible foot pain. I was bruising my ligaments and probably even the small foot bones because I did not have proper shoes. My running shoes cost a little over $100 (I am poor and hate spending money, and this was torture for me initially). When I run in them, I don't even feel them. And I haven't had any foot pain at all--they are a dream. I personally believe you will save yourself a lot of pain (and money if you count dr's visits) by getting a GOOD pair of dedicated running shoes. I am running my first 5k in April too :) Good luck to you!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just bought shoes for running/walking - does this mean I shouldn't wear them for everyday - I wore them today at work just to try to break them in a bit more...

Should I save them only for walking/running?
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You need GOOD shoes. There's a pic on my profile of what mediocre shoes did for my poor feet. (and believe me they look much worse in real life)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you plan on running a lot, investing in a good pair of running shoes is a good idea. It really does make a big difference. I was running in convention, all purpose sneakers, then in old Nike running shoes that were broken, and I finally bit the bullet and got some real, brand new shoes, and it's much easier on my ankles and knees. See if there's an outlet store or something nearby. I live near a Nike Factory store, so I got $100 for $50, and they're great. It was definitely a worth while purchase.
  • sjtreely
    Options
    I just bought shoes for running/walking - does this mean I shouldn't wear them for everyday - I wore them today at work just to try to break them in a bit more...

Yep.
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Everyone mentions visiting a reputable store, any chain store in particular you could suggest?
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I have to pairs on sneakers just for the gym. Then I have another for other wear. I still trying to train for my first run.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

You shouldn't have to break in a pair of good running shoes. And yes, you should only use them for running.
  • sjtreely
    Options
    Everyone mentions visiting a reputable store, any chain store in particular you could suggest?

Reputable running stores aren't the ones usually found at the mall. Typically they are independently owned. Google them in your area and then call them. See if they analyze your gait, etc.
  • taunto
    Options
    Thankyou everybody for explaining the situation to me. I truly appreciate it.

Question: How bad would it be for you if you use your regular shoes? Spending even $50 is out of the question for me, maybe sometime in future I can. Right now I'm just jogging/walking mostly and not running and not considering running seriously. Living in Michigan running outside is kinda limited anyways and if I wanted to do indoor I'd much rather use a stationary bike (which I love using alot more)
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    well as you increase your volume of running you really are going to need a dedicated pair, running shoes in general are supposed to last around 350 miles of training, personally i keep them longer then that but i can always feel when its time for a new pair because my shins will start to get annoying..
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you run with good form you can greatly reduce the chance of injury or pain no matter what shoe you run in. Google "Good Form Running" and try to run like that. Not being able to afford expensive name brand shoes is no reason not to run if that's what you want to do.
  • taunto
    Options
    Thankyou. Yes, after reading the replies I was a bit discouraged but I think I'm gonna keep trying. Besides, as kids I used to run barefoot all the time and it was fun. Maybe i'll just do that :)
  • nikki0960
    Options
    I am a runner,, I have been running for about 5 years. You need a good pair of running shoes. All depends where you go, they can be costly . I go to the running room,, My shoes are about 200.00. However, my fiances shoes are only 128.00. They test you to see what shoes fit your statue. Tell them you are on a budget and they will fix you up. but don't buy walmart or cheap shoes,, your body and legs and feet will suffer badly,, you could end up with shin splints or stress fractures,
    If you need any type of running program ,, let me know ,,,
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options

You shouldn't have to break in a pair of good running shoes. And yes, you should only use them for running.

Thanks for the advice - now I feel bad. I wore my good shoes today because the are uber comfy. And you know what? Now that I think about it, I didn't have to break them in - I did a 2 mile walk a day after I got them and it was fine. I just wanted to wear them.

This is a good tip.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you cant afford a good pair of shoes then I would suggest the walking/biking as you mentioned. Really it is doing yourself a favor. Even with good shoes you need to ease into running and work slowly progressively for the best chance to avoid injury and common pain in the feet, knees and shins. Don't damage now something you want to use later. Get good shoes (when you can)- it's an investment cheaper than days missed from work due to pain or extra visits to the doctor/chiropractor.
    Stay safe and stay active! Keep up the good work of at least making an effort and getting off the couch...puts you miles ahead of many others :)