Best shoes for home workouts like Insanity?

Options
Hi,
I'm just looking for suggestions on shoes for home workouts. I'm currently doing Insanity and plan to start Turbofire soon. The shoes I have now are awful and i'm looking to get a new pair, but i'm not sure what to get? Thought I'd start here! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but I did Insanity (3 times), P90X (twice) and Turbo Fire all bare foot. I'm sure someone on here will rake me over the coals for that.....BUT....I did them all without shoes because I didn't want to mess up the carpet in my basement. :laugh: Sorry I'm not much help!
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do all of my workouts at home barefoot as well.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I use a pair of walking-style shoes. Good support for all of the stretching, plyometric cardio, etc. and works extremely well when I am in the fetal position - recovering.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I use my fitted running shoes...
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hey! Glad to see you are doing Insanity that is one of my favorite workouts :) I wear my Nike Air Max shoes or I do it barefoot :)
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I recently go a pair of NIKE Free Fit and LOVE them! They are very light and flexible, but also provide good cushioning!
  • supermum123
    Options
    is it bad to do workouts barefoot?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I bought cross trainers for indoor workouts. Running shoes tend not to offer lateral support for sideways movements like jumping jacks.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Nike free tr fit for me. Except for power yoga, if I workout barefoot I get pain in my right calf.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes for sure. I'm wearing Puma H-Street for Crossfit.
  • MommyofTwinies31
    MommyofTwinies31 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do TurboFire and Chalene Johnson recommends using a sneaker with shock protection so that it's not so hard on your knees when you jump.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do TurboFire and Chalene Johnson recommends using a sneaker with shock protection so that it's not so hard on your knees when you jump.

Yeah TF can be tough on your joints. It's not the end of the world to do it without shoes, but I would guess it's a risk.

Also with TF, you've got to think about shoes that will let you pivot on the balls of your feet. I started in running shoes but found that the grip they had on carpet wouldn't let me pivot easily doing the "crosses" (you'll know what I mean when you become more familiar with it! Can't stress enough how important it is to pivot with that move because you can really tell your knees are feeling it afterwards if you haven't).

So I bought shoes designed for tennis - figured that's a sport with impact in the heel and also designed for mobility and pivoting. They worked great!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Shox. I second Berry's recommendation for cross trainers, I found that my Saucony running shoes do not offer the lateral support I like when doing Insanity.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Nike Shox, Reebok Zigs......and I always use myVibram Five Finger Komodos for Insanity workouts
  • imagin002
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wish I could do my workouts barefoot! I hate wearing sneakers, but I just don't feel like I get enough traction when I go barefoot! Thanks again for the suggestions!!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I dont do those dvds but i do jillian michaels, and i used to do em barefoot, but my husband bought me a nice pair of adidas running shoes, and now i use those and so much more effective! They r light and i can grasp the floor better when doing floor plank jacks and such!
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do all of my workouts at home barefoot as well.
    ditto!
  • vrtladept
    vrtladept Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    adidas adipure trainer :)
  • cabernetnic
    Options
    I AM ALSO DOING INSANITY AND SHOES KILL MY FEET SO I WORKOUT BAREFOOT.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Feet. Best part, they're FREE!