Pigging out one day a week

Options
I am curious, I had a personal trainer tell me once that as long as I work out regularly every day and watch my calorie intake 6 days a week, that one day a week I can eat whatever I want and not hurt my weight loss.
What do you guys think about this, and has anyone actually done it?

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Commonly refered to as a cheat day or cheat meal if its only one, it really depends on your goals, one day of really bad eating can definitley slow or hault your progress, an idea if you want to have one day where you can ease up on the healthy eating is look at calories per week instead of per day, so say you want to eat a cheat meal friday night (one meal is better than a whole cheat day) then thursday and saturday take that into account and scale back calories there to compensate. this is loosely how intermitent fasting is set up..
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think a cheat day is ok as long as it's not a free for all that ruins your week.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go check out the Spike diet group - Great results with that, as long as you still have a calorie deficit over the 7 day period...
    Works great and it keeps me at eating well for 6 days if I know I can eat my cravings on the seventh day!
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It has worked for me. Monday through Friday I stick to my 1200 calories and exercise but between Friday night til Sunday night I eat and drink what I want. I have now lost 33 pounds since last August. Sure I could have done it sooner, but why deprive myself.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I used to do this and it slowed my progress. If you have the ability to put down as much food as I can, periods of uncontrolled eating can be a dangerous thing.

Taking a perodic break from your diet is a good thing. However, imo, they should be well thought out and planned to further your goals, not detract from them. How often, how long, and what type of break you should take from your diet depends on many factors.

While were on the subject, I'm sure some will chime in with the benefit of a weekly "spike day". I disagree with this a concept for most people, the rise you supposedly get in leptin is very temporary, and leptin will go right back down as soon as you reestablish a deficit.
  • I don't know if I eat really badly for a whole day then it throws off a lot of my progress. Water weight piles on and real pounds creep back on. So sometimes I allow a cheat meal or a dessert but for the most part I try to stick with my routine and eat the way I should. OVerall, I feel better and act better when I eat the way that i should.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to think like this but it was a manifestation of my mentality. I was always on "a diet" or "cutting back" and as soon as I lost the weight I would gain it back. Right now- I'm trying to master a healthy lifestyle.

Which means NEVER feeling like I can't have something. NEVER feeling like I'm on a "cheat day." But instead indulging my cravings (moderately.) And trying to change the pattern of what satisfies me.

I know cheat days are common practice for some people but for me it shows that one isn't really focused on lifelong health but rather temporary weight loss goals. Good luck with whatever you choose to do :flowerforyou:
  • lutkica01
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what you do for exercise?
  • lutkica01
    Options
    It has worked for me. Monday through Friday I stick to my 1200 calories and exercise but between Friday night til Sunday night I eat and drink what I want. I have now lost 33 pounds since last August. Sure I could have done it sooner, but why deprive myself.

Do you mind me asking what you do for exercise?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I read this title as "Pimping out" and was then disappointed.

*puts leopard coat and cane back in the closet*
  • Reefer_bob
    Options
    I'm currently at the 1500 cal/day mark.

I do have a day where I eat stuff that's not so good for me, but I still keep it with in reason. I don't go and triple my caloric intake, but if I'm up at 2500, I don't worry about. A burger and a couple beers for example.

I'm down 22 lbs in about 2 months so I guess something is working.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i think having 2 cheat meals a week (speed out) is more efficient at least for myself.
    if i give myself a whole day i end up over indulging ALL DAY. go figure. and i can really rack up the calories.
    having just one cheat meal usually keeps my daily intake around my TDEE so i don't have to worry about it effecting my deficit for the week as much. :3 plus i can eat healthy all day working up to my cheat meal so i don't go completely over board.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to think like this but it was a manifestation of my mentality. I was always on "a diet" or "cutting back" and as soon as I lost the weight I would gain it back. Right now- I'm trying to master a healthy lifestyle.

Which means NEVER feeling like I can't have something. NEVER feeling like I'm on a "cheat day." But instead indulging my cravings (moderately.) And trying to change the pattern of what satisfies me.

I know cheat days are common practice for some people but for me it shows that one isn't really focused on lifelong health but rather temporary weight loss goals. Good luck with whatever you choose to do :flowerforyou:
    What she said !
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    If it really is pigging out, it probably hurts your progress. I happen to be in a bad habit of this; I have a Saturday get-together with friends every single week where we have a little potluck, usually involving a ton of food like pizza, pasta, chips, and cookies, pie etc. I probably eat 150%-200% of my calorie goal on Saturdays. Even when I am on track all week long, I think this is the reason I am not seeing the results I expect, so I am trying to have some restraint even on my cheat day now, apparently a real free-for-all is too damaging. :ohwell:
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I'm with ya word for word on this one. I consider my new way of eating a new lifestyle--fully internalized--not a diet so to speak. So I haven't had the urge to have a "cheat" day.

But I do have a interesting example for you to consider: Recently, I had a day where I was more relaxed about my eating principles because of certain social occasion I was in. For the first time in two months my whole day was filled with things I don't normally eat (empty carbs, sugary pastries, not enough veggies and too much meat.) I was under my calorie goal but the foods were all "bad." The next few days after that my hunger and cravings were out of control! It was so hard to eat well, everything was a mental struggle and my willpower was being tested hardcore. The conclusion for me was that those "bad" things I had eaten totally messed with my system--my body started to crave more "bad" foods and it sent me into a craving tailspin. Had nothing to do with calories. So i guess if you had to have a cheat day my advice would be to not stress too much about going over calories as long as it was with nutrient rich, clean good for you foods.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's better to have a cheat MEAL once a week, rather a whole day.

But every now & then, having a whole "not so great" food day is alright!
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a good, full meal instead of a cheat day because I hate the whole I'm-cheating-thing. I usually eat around 1500 net calories while losing but on a Saturday I might eat normally during the day but go out for steak or a burger and some really good beers ending up around 2300.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'll often have a day a week where I eat my maintenance calories rather than my calorie goal with the deficit. Personally I don't think there is a problem with that. I don't consider it a binge day or a day off, just a day thats slightly more relaxed. Once I reach my goal everyday will be like that anyway!
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's my experience that most personal trainers have no freaking clue what they are talking about when it comes to nutrition. Cheat if you like, but that's exactly what it is. Your definitely not going to feel very good afterwards. In my opinion its much better to find foods that you like and fit them into your set goals. It's going to keep you much more sane and won't haul or slow your progress at all.

Having that one day where you cheat or that one meal can be catastrophic. Depending on how your relationship with food is it may be like telling a recovering addict they can have one more hit of crack....

Rationalizing that one meal or one day could very well lead to an extrapolation of extra rationalizations.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I don't understand cheat days or spike days, at all. I don't think anyone could explain it so it makes sense to me.

One meal? Whatever...that's normal, that's life. A day? An entire day? Why?