Heart Rate Monitor Help

Options
mes1119
mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
Hi all! I'm very interested in buying a heart rate monitor to judge my calorie burn during workouts.

What do you recommend? I'm a student so cost friendly is important. Nothing crazy, just effective and cost efficient. I don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles but if it comes with that, I won't complain! Thanks :)

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4.. On Amazon for 60 dollars.

Most basic that you can get that is pretty cost friendly.
  • JenGrape
    JenGrape Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the thread here... anyone know of a waterproof one that can be used during swimming that they would recommend as well?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Polar FT40 is awesome!
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do believe that most Polars are resistant up to a certain depth. I know I wore mine in the shower with no problems.
  • ckenning
    Options
    bump
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 - i did a lot of research and thought this was the best buy - 60 bucks aint cheap in my world!
  • kattiek
    Options
    I have a Polar ft7 and it's waterproof up to 30ft or 30 meters, I forget which one. I do remember seeing a warning to not press the buttons on the watch underwater. I haven't used it for swimming, but I love it for running & weight training. It's very easy to set up and shows you your calorie burn. I think I spent about $70 on it from amazon.com. It's money well spent!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like the Polar FT4 also. Gets the job done and very affordable! It can be worn while swimming....
  • JenGrape
    JenGrape Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft7 and it's waterproof up to 30ft or 30 meters, I forget which one. I do remember seeing a warning to not press the buttons on the watch underwater. I haven't used it for swimming, but I love it for running & weight training. It's very easy to set up and shows you your calorie burn. I think I spent about $70 on it from amazon.com. It's money well spent!

Thank you!! I will check it out! I want it for lap swimming that I'll be doing this summer... a new workout for me. I would like to have a more accurate number on all of my burns in general.
  • jsunshine220
    Options
    Polar FT40 is awesome!

I love the FT40 as well. Not sure if it's in your price range but I love mine.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is awesome, about $100. But the Ft4 is the same as the FT7 but you are missing just a few bells and whistles that you probably won't miss.

The Ft4 is about $20 less than Ft7.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    I bought one at Wal-Mart for 27.00. It said I burned one cal a min. Regardless if I was running, walking, weight lifting or sitting in a chair. Also said I was burning one cal a min when I didn't even have it on. Took it back. Don't go too cheap :o)
  • JennyBB125
    Options
    I have the sportline 1010 but I dont recommend it. If youre not wearing your chest strap its hard to get a reading. Youre supposed to touch your finger to the metal part but it doesnt always read. It was 54 bucks at sports authority and works good otherwise. I would recommend something you can enter your sex, age, weight etc because the calories are more accurate. It works for be because I only use it at the gym wearing my chest strap anyways, i dont wear the watch day to day.
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like the Polar FT4 also. Gets the job done and very affordable! It can be worn while swimming....

I purchased mine from bodytronics.com using the code POPO. The final price was $58.
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I got a New Balance one at Costco for under $40 and it seems to work just fine.
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hated the way all the Polar HRM's looked and went with a Garmin instead and love it. A bit expensive but nice.
  • jninepug
    jninepug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Sigma PC9 and I love it! It is easy to work and it cost $69. I bought a Sportline 1010 first but I kept loosing the signal. When I tried to return it, ****'s Sporting Goods didn't want to take it back because it had come into contact with bodily fluids (sweat). After much fighting with them, they finally returned my money and I then went to a local bike shop and bought the Sigma for the same price. It's never lost signal.
  • TraToy
    TraToy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 for 100 bucks on Canadian amazon..
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a Sportline Solo 915. It was $60 bucks. I love it!