Stretch Marks

Options
Hey everyone, so I have a question about stretch marks... I have stretch marks all around my belly, and I know they don't go away, but they fade a little bit from that red new stretch mark to a white one. But when you lose weight, do they fade even more, or do they still stay that crappy shade of white that screams look at me. It would be a shame if I could never wear a bikini because of them :(

Replies

• BrittanyH8588
    BrittanyH8588 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question me and my friends were just discussing this today. From what I have read about stretch marks they say stretch marks never really disappear but the best thing to make them less noticeable is using self tanner. I would like to see what others say though... I also have horrible stretch marks on my stomach and my hips I used the Mederma stretch mark therapy and didn't really see a difference so I went and bought Vitamin E lotion and the gel capsules of vitamin E to rub on them so I will see if that helps reduce the appearance:)
  • reneeramirez4christ
    Options
    The only thing that really "removes" stretch marks is laser and that's super expensive and painful and doesn't completely remove them. I will tell you, I bought this gel from Avon, and i've been using it regularly and as I'm losing belly fat I'm noticing the stretchmarks are getting lighter, and I'm dark skin so they are really noticeable, but are definitely fading. I don't know if it's the gel I bought, but I'm seeing them get lighter. :)
  • toniachoi
    Options
    I JUST asked my dermatologists this last week when I went in for my annual check-up. She said that when stretch marks are still fairly new (still red), there is more that can be done to get rid of them. However, if they are older (white), there's really nothing you can do to completely get rid of them. You can use gels and creams and even laser treatments, but at the end of the day, they will still be there.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have them just about everywhere. :( I was not blessed with super-elastic skin, so I'm stuck with them. I have also read that using self-tanner helps hide them. The good news is that as I tone up- I don't zero in on them as much.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids so I look at them as battle scars, but they are unsightly at times. I have noticed them fading more so lately, since it seems most of the 13lbs I've lost has come from my midsection. But I have accepted them as just being there and will most likely never where a bikini at the beach, lol.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    23r8pbs.jpg
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    23r8pbs.jpg

Love this! Rawr!!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i like that pic/ statement too. i have 5 kids. my first did the so called "damage" to my skin. after that i never had another stretch mark form. i have a lot of them and i am hopeful that as my belly disappears i don't notice them quite as much.

i am definitely the "I am woman, hear me roar!" recently, people have taken to calling me " an animal," due to my striving to work hard to change my body. so, i welcome the statement, that i am a tiger that has earned her stripes! :-)
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are some old wives tales about using Vitamin E to rub on them to make them go away. I say flaunt them because you earned them like the picture suggests, OR Tattoo over them!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I always call them tiger stripes! I totally thought I came up with that :P Oh well. Own them, your body is beautiful. You are beautiful. They make you who you are! I have scars galore, wouldn't trade them for anything! I wouldn't be me without them.
  • JessicaHoskins
    Options
    I've heard that using Cocoa Butter makes stretch marks disappear.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost 120 lbs that was one of the most embarrassing things for me to deal with. Not only do the stretch marks not go away, they form creases in the excess skin. I'll be honest, it looks awful and I was completely ashamed. Idk of any treatment that actually works to get rid of or reduce the severity of stretch marks, but doing this a second time, at least I have the knowledge before hand that my body won't be pretty underneath the clothes.
  • rejs1170
    rejs1170 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Be a Tiger, and proud of your body. My wife has them and every time I notice them it reminds me of what she went through to have our four kids, and the love I have for her from that.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I have them just about everywhere. :( I was not blessed with super-elastic skin, so I'm stuck with them. I have also read that using self-tanner helps hide them. The good news is that as I tone up- I don't zero in on them as much.

SElf tanner that's brilliant!!! I was worried about when I go on vacation and I tan. The darker I get the stretch marks stay the same and they end up looking lighter in contrast to my tan!!!! URgh

I have had these wrinkly stinkers for years and they won't go away!!!!
  • lee3978
    Options
    Be a Tiger, and proud of your body. My wife has them and every time I notice them it reminds me of what she went through to have our four kids, and the love I have for her from that.

Idon't want to be a tiger. I don't have any kids.
  • lee3978
    Options
    There are some old wives tales about using Vitamin E to rub on them to make them go away. I say flaunt them because you earned them like the picture suggests, OR Tattoo over them!

Funny you should suggest that. That's how I started my tattoo journey. LOL. OMG Ihad no clue the pain is twice as worse as anywhere else because the skin is sooooo thin. IT BURNSSSSS ;(
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do to "get rid" of stretch marks on your belly is to have a tummy tuck. Sorry to disappoint you but the rest are there for life, I have em myself still and my kids are 23 and 21. Creams, lotions, lasers, all a waste of money.......
  • cutezombiedoll
    Options
    Everyone in my family gets bad stretch marks. It's just the way our skin is (too many elastic fibers or something). All I can say is that they fade. Slowly, but they do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, so I have a question about stretch marks... I have stretch marks all around my belly, and I know they don't go away, but they fade a little bit from that red new stretch mark to a white one. But when you lose weight, do they fade even more, or do they still stay that crappy shade of white that screams look at me. It would be a shame if I could never wear a bikini because of them :(
    Stretch marks are scars. They NEVER go away, but you can reduce the visual appearance of them temporarily with some creams.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have them, but mine are all below my belly button and I guess they don't bother me that much. I do not have any desire to wear a bikini and my husband is the only person who sees them, and he thinks I am beautiful, stretch marks and all, because they are there because of his beautiful little girls.