THE UNDEAD ARE AFTER ME!!!! Anyone want to join the fight?

So, I needed some motivation to work out. The treadmill I was using had a belt that always slipped to the sides so it was difficult to run on. The gazelle worked fine, but I was never sure what I was actually burning, so I got a recumbent bike. It has the timer, the calories burned (which is far less than the MFP counter, but I always figure that in when I do my calories), speed, and distance.

So to motivate myself and to stop myself from looking at the timer, I've done two things. I read zombie books and other zombie related things while I bike, and I always create, in my mind, a distance that I want to reach to get to my next 'safe zone' away from the zombies. Yes, yes; I am a huge zombie nerd, but for me it's fun and it's motivating me a lot. I wish I could find some sort of an online application which could track how far I'm going, like if I wanted to get from my home to one coast or the other or head up north to avoid the zed threat. (If anyone knows a way that I can track distance on a map online which I can save, please let me know)

Reading has helped a lot while on the bike because I really don't pay attention to the time like I would if I was watching tv. If I was watching tv I would start getting antsy when commercials are on and I would want to stop and really have to force myself to go on, but now I can go for fifteen minute stretches without noticing. I'm actually going faster too, but that could be because I'm getting used to the bike... only time will tell as will added resistance).

Anyway, the undead are after me, so I need to try to stay ahead of them-- about 15-20 miles a day. Anyone want to try to outrun (bike) them with me?

Replies

• mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    I think this is a great idea!! LOL I am also a zombie nerd and love the idea of having a distance goal. I dont have a stationary bike but I did just get a mountain bike, and I am hopeful that on monday the weather will be warm enough for me to get out there and cycle away. Thanks for the entertaining idea, atleast now the work wont seem so much like work and it will be a little more fun.
  • Rogns008
    Rogns008 Posts: 51 Member
    Sweet! I hope the weather's good for you to bug out away from the zed threat!
  • Rogns008
    Self bump? haha
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    I'm reading The Total Money Makeover while I elliptical .. Reading rock, especially reading about Zombies... Keep it up!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Have you heard of this?

http://runforyourlives.com/

You can be chased by zombies while you run for reals!
  • Ddmck1
    Ddmck1 Posts: 89 Member
    I've heard there was an App for the phone like this. It was like the Couch to 5k App ... only with zombies. I'll figure it out :tongue:
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    lol that's a good idea. Definitely something new to make the time go by quicker!
  • Rogns008
    Have you heard of this?

http://runforyourlives.com/

You can be chased by zombies while you run for reals!

I think you just broke my jaw with how far it dropped! This is awesome!!!
  • Some friends and I just signed up for this

http://runforyourlives.com/registration-st-louis-mo/

I actually thought that's what this topic was about! :laugh:

Oops, someone beat me to it!
  • Rogns008
    I've heard there was an App for the phone like this. It was like the Couch to 5k App ... only with zombies. I'll figure it out :tongue:

Sweet!
  • Hilarious! Also, a great idea! Personally, I'm most afraid of Chicombies (Chinese Communist Zombies). I would bike 100 miles a week to stay ahead of those nasties! Haha
  • Rogns008
    I'm reading The Total Money Makeover while I elliptical .. Reading rock, especially reading about Zombies... Keep it up!

I'll have to look into it, especially if I can get it on Kindle. I try to soak up everything that I can.
  • Rogns008
    lol that's a good idea. Definitely something new to make the time go by quicker!

Haha, word. Anything with the undead trailing you will make you go faster and further, haha.
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    OMG zombie race/obstacle course =awesome I so wish I lived closer to one of the locations!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    you should look up runforyourlives.com It's basically a 5k obstacle course mixed with flag football mixed with zombies. You get a certain number of flags on a belt and basically have to make it to the finish line with at least one flag. There are zombies out trying to get you!! I've signed up for the one in Baltimore. The first one starts in March and they go throughout the year in various states.
  • Rogns008
    Some friends and I just signed up for this

http://runforyourlives.com/registration-st-louis-mo/

I actually thought that's what this topic was about! :laugh:

Oops, someone beat me to it!

This seriously is so awesome, I'm going to have to find one close by.
  • Rogns008
    Hilarious! Also, a great idea! Personally, I'm most afraid of Chicombies (Chinese Communist Zombies). I would bike 100 miles a week to stay ahead of those nasties! Haha

Haha, and World War Z is my next reread as I ride, so I will so be riding away from the ChiComZoms.
  • R_Pup1976
    R_Pup1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Rule #1 Cardio.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    . (If anyone knows a way that I can track distance on a map online which I can save, please let me know)

Google maps.

Zombieland was not a very great movie as zombie movies go.