Anyone taking "Relora"

Options
I am a Dr. Oz watcher and have taken many of his ideas into consideration. There is no way I'm doing all of his suggestions because i would be taking 200 pills a day;) But, I recently ordered Relora. It is said to be a cortisol level stabilizer. Anyone tried this? I have had many stressful events throughout my years of weight gain. Surely not as rough as many, but enough to feel it affect my body. I would love to hear from anyone taking this!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am a Dr. Oz watcher and have taken many of his ideas into consideration. There is no way I'm doing all of his suggestions because i would be taking 200 pills a day;) But, I recently ordered Relora. It is said to be a cortisol level stabilizer. Anyone tried this? I have had many stressful events throughout my years of weight gain. Surely not as rough as many, but enough to feel it affect my body. I would love to hear from anyone taking this!

First I wouldn't say stop watching Dr Oz, since i'm sure it's a funny show with all the nonsense he spews, but always take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

Here is the study done by the patent holder, and it was actually done in humans which is unlike a lot of things Dr Oz suggests

Without seeing the full study, hard to say how they controlled for potential confounders

Effect of a proprietary Magnolia and Phellodendron extract on weight management: a pilot, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Altern Ther Health Med. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):50-4.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16454147

RESULTS:
    Twenty-eight subjects completed the study. Extracts of M officinalis and P amurense were well tolerated. There was a significant weight gain during the study for the placebo group (P < ,01), but no significant weight gain for the group receiving extracts of M officinalis and P amurense (P < .89). Paired t-tests comparing baseline to post-treatment weight showed an average gain of 1.5 kg in the placebo group and no change in the treatment group (P = .89). When groups were divided into gainers (ie, participants who gained at least 1 kg or more) and maintainers or losers, 75% of the control group were gainers versus 37% of the treatment group (P < .04). There was a nonsignificant trend for lowered average cortisol in the treatment group at the end of the study (group X time interaction, F = 1.1, P < .15). This difference was due to a treatment effect on evening cortisol. There was a marginally significant group X time interaction (P = .06), showing the treatment group tended to have lower levels of cortisol in the evening, whereas the control group tended to have higher levels of cortisol in the evening. Bedtime cortisol levels decreased in the treatment group and increased in the placebo group. Participants in both the treatment and placebo groups had improved scores on a number of psychological measures during the study. There was a correlation between perceived stress and weight change.

CONCLUSION:
    The results of this pilot clinical study indicate that obese subjects who eat in response to stress may benefit from taking a dietary supplement ingredient containing proprietary extracts of M officinalis and P amurense. The mechanism of action appears to be through reduction of cortisol levels and possibly perceived stress, thereby helping participants maintain body weight. The sample size was small, however, and there was higher attrition in the control group than in the treatment group.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    companies pay to have him tout their products. it's less about their efficacy than his paycheck.
  • nenar77
    nenar77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight! I am going to try it. I am aware too that my condition is not solely because of cortisol levels, but mostly due to my damaging diet choices. Its not realistic to take something and expect to take it forever. The whole purpose of living a healthier life is to naturally live. I would like to find something to help turn up the burner with my weight loss journey. I am not in the position where I can physically do hard cardio. I do alot of walking as a nurse and in so much soreness/pain on my days off. Right now I'm starting with swimming.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    no.
    hope you find something that works for you, but in my opinion, ordering something that Dr. Oz touts is just padding his (and the companies who make the products) pocketbook.