I'm really upset.

Options
Hi everybody,
My name is Shani and I moved here few months ago from Israel to get a degree in Biotechnology (that the reason my English is not so good so be nice:smile: ).
I used to be a professional swimmer for few years, I also compete in Orienteering and played tennis and many other types of sport.
I had to join the army back home so I stopped exercising and gained weight. Now I look good again and I'm on my way to look as I used to. But yesterday I went to a sports doctor after few days that my knees were killing me. Basically he said That I have to stop running for a while. I was doing really good I'm so upset now.

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    My name is Shani and I moved here few months ago from Israel to get a degree in Biotechnology (that the reason my English is not so good so be nice:smile: ).
    I used to be a professional swimmer for few years, I also compete in Orienteering and played tennis and many other types of sport.
    I had to join the army back home so I stopped exercising and gained weight. Now I look good again and I'm on my way to look as I used to. But yesterday I went to a sports doctor after few days that my knees were killing me. Basically he said That I have to stop running for a while. I was doing really good I'm so upset now.
    Well walk.
  • bcressy
    Options
    aww no that would be upsetting and after all your hard work ! but if having some time off means you can run in the future it will be worth it! maybe just have to jump on the bike or cross trainers :flowerforyou: good luck !
  • AntWrig
    Options
    aww no that would be upsetting and after all your hard work ! but if having some time off means you can run in the future it will be worth it! maybe just have to jump on the bike or cross trainers :flowerforyou: good luck !
    But yesterday I went to a sports doctor after few days that my knees were killing me.
    You suggest a bike or crosstrainer? is this real life?

Walking is very low impact and shouldn't do any damage.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Wtf, dude? Her suggestions were good, as was your suggestion to walk. All are easier on the joints then running.

Original poster, I have to agree that I'd be pretty disappointed, too, but there are so many low-impact ways to be active that there is no reason you can't keep yourself healthy and fit. And if you try some, you might find you like them as much as running. :)

(Editted to add that your english is fine! :flowerforyou: )
  • AntWrig
    Options

Wtf, dude? Her suggestions were good, as was your suggestion to walk. All are easier on the joints then running.

Original poster, I have to agree that I'd be pretty disappointed, too, but there are so many low-impact ways to be active that there is no reason you can't keep yourself healthy and fit. And if you try some, you might find you like them as much as running. :)
    I stand corrected.
  • bcressy
    Options
    Also swimming is really easy on the joints !
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees as well, and have found the elliptical is my new favorite machine.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I love to jog in the pool
  • shanilachish
    shanilachish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know but my body is so used to it so I don't burn so many calories ad I need and want. And I swim really fast and there is no big swimming pools in my area.
    I'm upset because The Dr said I pushed myself too much and now my knees are really bad. even just standing up hurts. It got really bad, I actually woke up last night in the middle of the night because of the pain. And on top of that, apparently I have a stress fracture of metatarsal bone.
    :frown:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

(Editted to add that your english is fine! :flowerforyou: )

Ditto this. Sorry OP that you have to deal with this but it's best to listen to your body and take care of it. I have been there, done that. Stationary bike is an excellent low impact cross training workout.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I know but my body is so used to it so I don't burn so many calories ad I need and want. And I swim really fast and there is no big swimming pools in my area.
    I'm upset because The Dr said I pushed myself too much and now my knees are really bad. even just standing up hurts. It got really bad, I actually woke up last night in the middle of the night because of the pain. And on top of that, apparently I have a stress fracture of metatarsal bone.
    :frown:

If you have a stress fracture that changes things. Consult your doctor before doing any other exercise.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but it sounds like you need to heal first. I have heard good things about people with bad knees, etc. using the Elliptical Trainer. When the time is right physically, maybe give that a try. Good luck.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you have access to a pool, you can also run in there. high knee sprints in the pool are a killer cardio wise
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    yeah, the elliptical is in your future. but right now, honestly, the pool sounds like the best and maybe only option if you want your body to heal.
  • shanilachish
    Options
    It's more than that.
    You know how you're about to start running, you put your headphones on, listening to music knowing that now it's only you, there is no one else in the world.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the bad news from the doctor! I'm sure you are very frustrated after all of your hard work. I hope you will heal quickly so you can return to the exercise you enjoy so much! Maybe you can do something with less impact, if your doctor approves, until you are able to return to doing what you prefer. Again, so sorry you are upset!
  • shanilachish
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the bad news from the doctor! I'm sure you are very frustrated after all of your hard work. I hope you will heal quickly so you can return to the exercise you enjoy so much! Maybe you can do something with less impact, if your doctor approves, until you are able to return to doing what you prefer. Again, so sorry you are upset!
    Thank you so much for your support!
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    It's more than that.
    You know how you're about to start running, you put your headphones on, listening to music knowing that now it's only you, there is no one else in the world.

now that I'm getting into the gym, yes, I get it. totally. maybe this just means finding a new love ... maybe, after you heal up, biking is something you could get into. like trail rides and whatnot.
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Shani...

I tuned in late but you may want to consider strength training. You'll get more benefits from anaerobic exercise than from high wear and tear aerobics. Muscle is the best metabolic investment you can make because it elevates the BMR and burns 50 cal per pound per day more calories every day of your life. It is also is a low impact and very safe form of exercise.

I would recommend you buy this book ---> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18 and watch this video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k&feature=related for a comprehensive understanding of why anaerobic exercise offers more benefits than the much over hyped aerobic form, how we all go it so wrong, and how to train safely with optimal benefit to the body in a minimum amount of time.

Here are just some of the benefits.

Only strength training offers all of the following benefits.
    • Stronger bones & increased mineral density
    • Stronger body & musculature
    • More robust organ and systemic fitness
    • Improved cardio-vascular function (better than "cardio")
    • Higher basal metabolic rate (50 cal/day/pound of muscle)
    • Healthier immune system
    • Easier fat loss
    • Increased energy and efficiency
    • Improved physical appearance
    • Better poise, posture, & comportment
    • Sleep better
    • Better athletic performance
    • Slows natural loss of muscle mass over age 30

(Note - BBS is not an easy read and contains some heady science. Also, strength training does not replace aerobics but it should be the foundation of all fitness training.)

Good luck and good health!!

• shanilachish
    Options
    I tuned in late but you may want to consider strength training. You'll get more benefits from anaerobic exercise than from high wear and tear aerobics. Muscle is the best metabolic investment you can make because it elevates the BMR and burns 50 cal per pound per day more calories every day of your life. It is also is a low impact and very safe form of exercise.

I would recommend you buy this book ---> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18 and watch this video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k&feature=related for a comprehensive understanding of why anaerobic exercise offers more benefits than the much over hyped aerobic form, how we all go it so wrong, and how to train safely with optimal benefit to the body in a minimum amount of time.

(Note - BBS is not an easy read and contains some heady science. Also, strength training does not replace aerobics but it should be the foundation of all fitness training.)

Good luck and good health!!

Hi, I combine strength training, 3-4 times a week.