Meatless Recipes (Not Vegan but Catholic!)

Options
laineylynnfit
laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
So, I need some recipes (can be lunch or dinner) that have no meat in it. I LOVE meat but I try to refrain on Friday's during Lent. Anyone have some yummy recipes to share?

Replies

• sparkly96
    Options
    Spinach Pie

1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
    1 medium chopped red onion (about ½ cup)
    1 medium chopped red bell pepper (about 1 cup)
    2 clove garlic, chopped
    2 packages (9 or 10 oz each) frozen chopped spinach
    (thaw it and drain it, also squeeze out excess water)
    1 8 oz package reduced fat cream cheese, softened
    ½ cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
    2 large eggs (or egg beaters)
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed (about 18 x 14 inches)
    2-3 tablespoons melted butter (to use on phyllo sheets)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of a pie plate with some butter.
    Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, red bell pepper, and garlic in oil. Cook until tender but not browned and remove from heat.

Stir in spinach and you can put the pan back on a low heat to evaporate any water from the spinach if there is a lot. Remove from heat if you had it on there and add cream cheese, feta, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well and set to the side.

Layer a few sheets of phyllo (about 4 should be good but you can do more, sometimes I use more for the bottom but make sure you butter the layers) in pie plate and brush with butter. Let the sides overlap over the pie plate. Gently press the dough into the bottom of the pie plate.
    Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the phyllo dough. Fold ends up over filling so the corners are on the top. Layer another 4 sheets over the pie and brush with butter, sometimes I butter all layers a little bit. The corners will drape over the edge. Tuck in any dough draping over the sides. Make a few small slits in the dough to allow steam to escape.
    Bake about 35 to 45 min. or until crust is golden brown and filling is hot. Let cool for about 10 min before serving.

*phyllo dough dries out pretty quick once you open the package so you can keep a damp wash cloth and some wax paper over the phyllo dough. Don’t open the package until you’re ready to use it.
    Serves 8

Per Serving: 209 calories, 10 grams carbs, 14 grams fat, 8 grams protein 2 grams fiber 13 grams calcium

To lower the fat content i wanted to try butter spray instead and fat free cheeses but havent gotten to that yet.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laineylynnfit
    Options
    bump!
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    This one freezes well and my meat loving husband LOVES it!!! I substitute the crushed tomatoes with 3 cans of diced tomatoes and if you like a little heat use 2 of those cans diced tomatoes with chilis!!! Tastes even better the second day!!!

Easy Vegetarian Chili

January 7, 2007 by 3FC · 2 Comments

recipe ingredients
    4 sweet red bell peppers (or 2 red and 2 yellow), diced
    2 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia), diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 can (15 oz) vegetable broth
    2 large cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes
    2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained
    2 cans (15 oz each) kidney beans, drained
    1 can (15 oz) fat free spicy refried beans (can substitute regular)
    chili powder to taste (1 tsp to 2 Tbsp or more)

recipe directions
    In a stockpot or dutch oven, heat oil and add onions, peppers, and garlic. Stir until soft and onions are translucent. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Add chili powder gradually until desired heat is achieved. Remove from heat and serve. If desired, top each serving with shredded low fat cheddar cheese and fresh diced onions.

Tastes better the second day, and it freezes well. Variation: add minced chipotle pepper or dried chipotle powder for smoky flavor.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/index.php?s=easy+vegetarian+chili (love the 3fatchicks website!!!)
  • MaryMary11
    MaryMary11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to try this, but I don't know if my kids will go for it. I may make it for myself :) just

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/light-swiss-chard-frittata.html#more

Check out the rest of the site. There is a section of wonderful recipes for lent, and they already calculated the calories
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but veggie lasagna is fantastic!
  • mandiemahoney
    mandiemahoney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why not vegan? Vegan recipes are always meatless, and usually delicious.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If it is meatless Fridays for Lent, then fish is allowed. Have a good old fashioned fish fry! Get some nice halibut fillets and dredge them in flour (lightly seasoned), beaten egg, and then the flour again. Let them sit for 15 minutes on a plate before shallow frying so the breading sticks better. I like to use garbanzo flour, since it is higher in protein and gives a really nice depth of flavor to the coating.

Frying in oil does not need to add a ton of calories to your food. Shallow fry the food at a higher temp. You want the fish to sizzle as soon as it hits the pan and not stop until you remove it.

During meatier times of the year, you can use the same technique for frying pork cutlets. Top them with a curry sauce and serve with rice for Katsu Curry - a Japanese dish.
  • laineylynnfit
    Options
    Why not vegan? Vegan recipes are always meatless, and usually delicious.

Oh, I was just stating that I'm not Vegan, I love meat ... I just don't eat it on Friday's during Lenten season :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heathermarie517
    Options
    Great question! Bump....

My daughter thought we should do a "family" choice to give up, and decided it will be desserts! Oh, how I love having a wonderful contributor to my weight loss efforts! :-)
  • chiltonenator
    chiltonenator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So, I need some recipes (can be lunch or dinner) that have no meat in it. I LOVE meat but I try to refrain on Friday's during Lent. Anyone have some yummy recipes to share?

Here are some I tried last year from NY Times. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/going-vegan-for-lent/

Here is index of all the Recipes for Health from NY Times. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

Also, this Jillian Michaels meal plan has some good recipes. I tried the Shrimp Veracruzano last Friday and it was good.
    http://images.agoramedia.com/jillianmichaels/cms/jillian-michaels-ripped-in-30-meal-plan-v.pdf