Calorie help! I need ideas.

Options
plussized
plussized Posts: 72 Member
I've recently moved my weight loss goal on MFP to 1.5 pounds a week. So far it's been kinda of.. different.. but do-able. Today is actually the first day, LOL. I went from 1,990 calories to 1,750. I know it's only a little over 200 calories, but it seems like a world of difference.

I'm wondering if any of you have around the same calorie count? If so, can you shine some light into what typcial days look like food wise? I'd really like some ideas as to what kind of foods to eat.

:flowerforyou: :heart:

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't deprive myself from any one thing, I just want to know what YOU eat during a normal day for YOU. It gives me ideas as to how to space out my calories.

Replies

• Teachmisskim
    Teachmisskim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My caloric intake is less than yours but here is what I did when I changed mine. I began at losing 1.5 a week, which gave me like 1690 calories a day plus all the workout calories I was getting. I only lost like half a pound my first week. So I upped it to 2 lbs a week and now I get 1300 calories a day. I was like OMG thats 300+less a day! So what I did was up my workouts a bit and then had more calories to play with. I try to stick to lots of fruits and veggies when it comes to snacky food. I do have the occasional 100 calorie bar when I need some chocolate (which is often lately lol) but for the most part I have apples, oranges, fat free milk, grapefruits, and such when I want to snack and keep my portions less with my other meals, which also cuts calories. Drink lots of water or ice tea and that can keep you filled too!

Good luck and I know you can do it! I'm still on my 2lbs calorie intake, so when I weigh in next Wed, I'll let ya know if it worked! :)
  • BigAnn
    BigAnn Posts: 38
    Options
    I really didn't change anything I eat, only the portion size. When you restrict yourself from eating a certain food you'll want it even more. So go ahead and have pasta, just be sure to measure it for ONE portion. And, take your time eating and savor the flavors.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I've recently moved my weight loss goal on MFP to 1.5 pounds a week. So far it's been kinda of.. different.. but do-able. Today is actually the first day, LOL. I went from 1,990 calories to 1,750. I know it's only a little over 200 calories, but it seems like a world of difference.

I'm wondering if any of you have around the same calorie count? If so, can you shine some light into what typcial days look like food wise? I'd really like some ideas as to what kind of foods to eat.

:flowerforyou: :heart:

Thanks.

Boy, wouldn't I LOVE to have THOSE numbers! I only get like 1320 a day! I have to exercise my butt off every day to up my numbers so that I can eat! :laugh: With the exercise, I get anywhere from 1500 to 1600 or so. I generally eat oatmeal with frozen blueberries for breakfast, then salad with no fat cheddar cheese and a low cal dressing for lunch, (or a 35 cal. piece of light oatmeal bread with 2 tbls. peanut butter and light chips, or left over chicken) for lunch, and then a supper of some sort of meat, veggies, and potatoes or rice. For snacks, I have fruit, Special K bars, and at night, if I still have enough numbers left (which I ALWAYS try to do!) I have Edy's slow churned, no sugar added cookie dough icecream. YUM! :love:
    Hope those give you some ideas! :smile:
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I also find buying lower calorie foods helpful. Like eating some kind of lean cuisine or Smart frozen meal for dinner, buying fat free cheese which was like 80 calories less per slice than I was using before. I buy egg substitute instead of real eggs, the packaged 100 calories snacks are helpful because it fulfills the craving but then stops you after 100 calories. I am allowed only 1200 calories which is hard so I have to work out. You can also look at what people eat by clicking on their name and then when their profile comes up click diary. Looking at other's succesful diaries may help.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I also find buying lower calorie foods helpful. Like eating some kind of lean cuisine or Smart frozen meal for dinner, buying fat free cheese which was like 80 calories less per slice than I was using before. I buy egg substitute instead of real eggs, the packaged 100 calories snacks are helpful because it fulfills the craving but then stops you after 100 calories. I am allowed only 1200 calories which is hard so I have to work out. You can also look at what people eat by clicking on their name and then when their profile comes up click diary. Looking at other's succesful diaries may help.

A lot of those prepared foods are really high in sodium, you might want to be careful of that, since it'll retain water and make it harder to lose weight. :smile:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Bren. It's all about portion size and being realistic about food. I measure my food now (haven't taken the weighing my food plunge yet :happy: ) and try to just have one serving. I eat as many veggies and fruits as I can, and more fiber. I got a huge bag of plain frozen veggies I can cook in the microwave in a few mins and I add sauces depending on what I'm having. Bulk your meals up with these things and that way you won't have to eat 2 cups of rice to get full, you can have 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of veggies.

Also, if you want a cheeseburger, have a cheeseburger. You aren't going to gain a pound just because you had a 400 calorie treat. One pound= 3,500 calories. This was a major realization for me!

Right now I'm at 1200 cals a day plus 500 if I exercise. I am at the point now where I am having a hard time eating all those calories. I am eating healthier foods, and I even had to incorporate several snacks during the day to get up to those cals. I seriously feel like I eat alot sometimes! My new fave treat is Greek yogurt....mmm!! I also agree that buying lower cal foods is good..I get light mayo and 2% cheese/milk, baked chips. I don't really buy too many "reduced fat" or "reduced calorie" labeled foods. I would rather get the real thing and just eat less of it.

Also, be wary of reading some ppl's food diaries...sometimes they lack the fruits and veggies that you need...I wonder how they get all their vitamins! :) Focus on cooking with healthier ingredients, and you should have no problem!
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you certain those are the right calorie numbers for you? You must be very active. Most of us don't get to eat nearly so many...legally, any way.:laugh:
  • plussized
    Options
    Are you certain those are the right calorie numbers for you? You must be very active. Most of us don't get to eat nearly so many...legally, any way.:laugh:

Yes, those are the right amount of calories. I am obese, and started this program eating 2170 calories a day. I'm not very active in my job, but I do try to get in at least 3 one hour workouts a week.
  • plussized
    Options

I'm not seeing the "diary" link. Can you help?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You have to find someone willing to share their diary. If you look at someone's profile, the "view diary" will be one of the green buttons beside their name. I haven't found too many people that share their diary...including me! :blushing:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at mine:wink:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

Yes, those are the right amount of calories. I am obese, and started this program eating 2170 calories a day. I'm not very active in my job, but I do try to get in at least 3 one hour workouts a week.

My allotment is 1730 cals/day (yay being tall) but I'm only trying to lose 1/2lb a week from deficit and the rest through exercise.

I eat a ton of fruit and vegatables. By breakfast is generally a serving of oatmeal with 1/4c non-fat plain yogurt, 4-5 strawberries and cinnimon mixed in. Then I have 2-3 servings of fruit for my morning snacks (get up at 430 so it is a long time between breakfast and lunch), I usually have leftovers from the night before and 1-2 servings of vegatables for lunch (about 400 cals), two small servings of nuts in the afternoon ( about 300 cals), and I generally have 400ish calories left over for dinner.

The best way to get used to eating less calories is to bulk entrees up with vegatables. An example is spaghetti. If you add cauliflower in with the meat, noodles, and sauce it add a lot of mass with very little calories and you can't really taste it because cauliflower is so bland. If you want to cut the calories even more, leave out the meat and replace it with chunks of portabello mushrooms which can have a similar texture.
  • caroly
    caroly Posts: 8
    Options
    My calorie intake is 1200/day and I'm walking everyday for at least 40 min to increase my calorie intake.

Some things I've done to help are:
    1) Eat on a smaller plate so it looks fuller with smaller portions

2) I've switched to healthier varieties of food: more fiber, less sugar, less calories: for exp I switched to Minute Maid Light OJ which has only 50 cal and 10 grs of sugar plus a good source of calcium & Vt D

3) I eat Thomas Better Start Light Multigrain English Muffin which only has 100 calories plus 8 grs of Fiber/muffin and it tastes great. I prefer this over my high fiber sandwich bread because one slice of sandwich bread has 100 calories and 4 grs of fiber - so I get 1/2 the calories with the english muffin and it works great for ham and cheese sandwiches.

4) I've been buying Walmart brand (Great Value) 97% fat free Sliced Turkey = 20 cal/slice and the slices are a decent size for a sandwich. I've also been buying the GV Sliced low moisture part skim mozarella cheese = 50 cal/slice.
    I put a slice of turkey and a slice of mozarella in an english muffin and toast it open face so the cheese melts and it's very tasty and satisfying and it's only 170 cal/sandwich. You can also add sliced tomatoes for a pizza flavor effect (and you're eating some veggies). With sucha a low cal/ good tasting sandwich you can afford ot eat more than one :)

5) I've consciously increased my fruit intake specially for breakfast and have bought fruits that I normally don't buy like blueberries, blackberries...- and it's been great because my oldest son has followed me in this without me asking. For exp he saw me cutting up some fruit for breakfast today and he asked me to slice up some fruit for him as well(if only I could convince my youngest one to do the same)

6) I've been eating more salads and have tried to eat less carbs: rice, potatoes, pasta. However I must say that I have not deprived myself of ANYTHING! We go out to eat at least twice a week and I've eaten healthier dishes but I've also allowed myself to eat things that I really like - like pasta dishes but I've been bringing home 1/2 of what they serve.

7) I drink A LOT of water through out the day and I do not drink sodas - I don't want to drink my calories y prefer to chew them :tongue:

8) I tend to have Light yogurts for snack = 100 cal. The Laughing cow Cheese wedges are also great for a snack = = 50 cal/wedge and with one wedge I have enough to spread on 5 ritz crackers = 80 cal. I love the Nabisco Triscuit (low Sodium) = 120 cal in 6 crackers (I don't remember the amount of fiber)
    The 100 calories snack bags are also great for when you crave cookies or chips

I know it's not easy - it's a big effort to make changes but you can do it. I've been surprised how making small changes has helped me loose weight . So far I've lost about 1 lb/week - and the 2 weeks I was on vacation I didn't loose any weight because I wasn't depriving myself of eating anything but I didn't gain any weight either and I think it was mainly because I was careful about portion sizes and I tried to walk when possible.

I hope this helps :happy:
  • Teachmisskim
    Teachmisskim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My food tracker is open to friends, so if you'd like to see please feel free! I try to get in my veggies, milk, and water every day. I also like to jot down my thoughts for the day or my worries. This site has really helped a lot!
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    I up'ed my amount of exercise!

I have mine set to 2 pounds per week, and my count is about 1250 a day.

I found if I bike for an hour and go for a walk and throw in some strength training, it gives me plenty of wiggle room.
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My calories are about the same as yours (I guess that is one good part of being overweight LOL). If I make good choices all day, I'm hard pressed to eat them all.

Some favorite meals include:

- a generous serving of plain greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and a teaspoon or two of granola.
    - a low carb tortilla with a wedge of laughing cow, spinach, red pepper, onions & tomatoes, popped in a pan or the toaster oven.
    - a sandwich on an Arnolds Sandwich thin or light bread with the same stuff. Sometimes I add a few slices of shaved turkey or 2% american cheese for more protein and calcium.
    -cottage cheese with a chopped up green apple and about a tablespoon of finely chopped almonds

Happy losing!