0 cal sodas

Options
ranmca
ranmca Posts: 121 Member
i have a question for you all. I have never been a big soda pop drinker, but when in the grocery store i found the amazing flavour of strawberry lemonade in pop form.It said zero calories so i decided to pick it up, AND ITS DELICIOUS. so my question is how the heck can something so delicious be zero cals? i was looking at the ingredients and near the top is sugar... doesn't sugar have calories. i would love if someone can explain this to me, or even just give me an opinion. thanks :)

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    the flavor is artificial flavoring, which is just a string of chemicals that taste like whatever...

the sweet is artificial sweetener which isn't absorbed by the body, or adds less than 5 cals.
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Flavor does not necessarily equal calories. Think of black coffee. Love it or hate it, you certainly can't deny that it has a lot of flavor. It has essentially no calories. (I know 1-2 cal per 8oz depending on the study but that's hardly a rounding error in the results)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it has sugar it has calories... what brand is this?
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Yeah completely missed the sugar thing. Are you sure it didn't say something like sucralose (which unlike sucrose is an artificial sweetener and doesn't have calories.)
  • candice36
    Options
    SUGAR! We need calories- not sugar. Dont fall for that sort of stuff, look at the nutrition label and the ingredients.
  • ranmca
    Options
    hey everyone. here is the ingredients to the pop. carbonated water,citric acid,aspartame,natural flavor, potassium benzoate, gum acacia,sucrose, and others that dont really matter. so i guess im assuming the sucrose is the sugar?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    it has zero calories because it has artificial sweeteners in it. Very unhealthy and I do not trust things that were made in a chemical lab. They do not belong in your body.
  • ranmca
    Options
    Sucrose is a natural sugar, that's why I don't understand why the claim 0 cals?
  • Therdigh
    Therdigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, I wish it didn't give me migraines. I love crystal light lemonade but my head can't handle it.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Sucrose is a natural sugar, that's why I don't understand why the claim 0 cals?

They claim 0 cals because it's broken down by serving size. They do the same thing with partially hydrogenated oils. (trans fat) They say "ZERO GRAMS OF TRANS FAT" but it's actually zero grams PER SERVING because the serving size has less than the threshold number that they have to claim it. Calories are the same. If it's less than the threshold per serving, they don't have to list it. Pretty shady but that's the law.
  • ranmca
    Options
    That makes sense, how sneaky of those companies. It should be against the law.