sugar from fruit

Options

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    cupcakes are so disguisting. I wouldnt eat one for 10$. maybe for 20$ id eat one.

Those sweets cause too much diabetes in north america. I am surprised corporations still make sweet foods even they know it hurts alot of people.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

hostess cupcakes i rarely have...I was dogsitting and they were in the house so I thought I would try them....didn't even like them. As for borderline diabetic, I don't know my fasting glucose level...I am not home but my dr. told me it is borderline and if I don't change my diet and lose weight I will eventually get diabetes. I go every three months to be checked and she told me to watch carbs and sugar. And before I get another girl scout cookie lecture, it is once a year and it is not like i am binging on them, it is one serving.

Well, you should keep a journal of your fasting glucose levels. If possible, get all the numbers from your doctor and see how much they've gone up/down since you've been having them checked. Being told you're "borderline diabetic" is just silly if you don't know what the actual numbers are or if you're improving or not.

If you lose weight, it'll lessen the chances of type II diabetes just in itself. Watching "carbs and sugar" is just a simple way to tell you to watch what you eat. As I stated earlier, if you mix sugar with things that aren't carb based, it changes the insulin spike your body gets from it. That's what you need to worry about if you're worried about diabetes.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    cupcakes are so disguisting. I wouldnt eat one for 10$. maybe for 20$ id eat one.

Those sweets cause too much diabetes in north america. I am surprised corporations still make sweet foods even they know it hurts alot of people.

Eating too much sweets is not what causes diabetes. :)
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Sweets are fine. People sitting on their *kitten* all day watching Glee and American Idol isn't fine. Candy was common place all through the baby boomer generation growing up. The difference was that they were on their bikes or running all day long, playing outside, working in the garden, etc. Now it's sitting in a car in traffic, sitting in an office, sitting in a car in traffic again and then sitting in front of the tv watching crappy reality TV before bed.

Also, corporations make cupcakes because people buy them. People buy them because they taste good. Once in awhile I'll buy them and I'm very healthy. Hopefully, these corporations continue to make them so I can enjoy them from time to time.
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    If you are borderline diabetic and concerned about your diet PLEASE see a doctor and DO NOT take your advice from this site.

There is good information as well as bad on here and most people have the very best intentions, but the vast majority of them are NOT medical professionals and you stated you have medical issue which could be very serious.

Ask your doctor questions about fruit and other sources of sugar and get some help mapping out a meal plan that will help you manage your condition. At the very least track down websites for people managing diabetes and look for information about fruit and sugar consumption.

That being said, it is a good idea to avoid refined sugar (cookies, cupcakes etc.) in general for improved health, even without a medical reason to do so.

Good luck and please seek a professional opinion!
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So I am having a situation lately. I am going over my sugar for the day and that is one thing I try to keep in control because this past year I have been told by my doctor that I am borderline diabetic. Does anyone know about sugar from fruit? Is that ok? Is it a different kind of sugar? That is where a lot of my sugar is coming from. HELP! Thanks. :-)

What do you mean by borderline diabetic? What was your fasting glucose level? How often do you have it checked?

The concept of sugar spiking your insulin is changed when that sugar is ingested with fiber, protein and fat. Mixing some fruit in with other foods will change the insulin response you get from it.

As for hostess cupcakes....yeah, you should probably stay away from them.

hostess cupcakes i rarely have...I was dogsitting and they were in the house so I thought I would try them....didn't even like them. As for borderline diabetic, I don't know my fasting glucose level...I am not home but my dr. told me it is borderline and if I don't change my diet and lose weight I will eventually get diabetes. I go every three months to be checked and she told me to watch carbs and sugar. And before I get another girl scout cookie lecture, it is once a year and it is not like i am binging on them, it is one serving.

Ha! I would have eaten the cupcakes as well...and the girl scout cookie. Anyways- I am hypoglycemic which freaked me out. I am very light-120pounds and 5'7'' and I could eventually become prediabetic. Since I am allergic to glutton (but still ate it) and ate way too much sugar on top of that with no protein-because meet is gross- my body just kind of went haywire on me and I had to go to the ER. (I don't actually think I had to but my mom insisted since I have been fainting and shaky)

Anyways-that was a month ago and I have almost completely cut out sugar ! :) I still eat fruit but much less just so that my taste buds /cravings adjust to not need sugar.
    -My snacks- Sugar free yogurt-almonds-unsweetened almond milk (real milk has tons of sugar so watch out) -all natural peanutbutter-any thing else has sugar- and be careful about salad dressing or any condiment. I also eat dr.mcdougals box meal things because I hate cooking-no sugar and tons of protein!- beans- nuts and seeds of any sort- all the veggies- baby carrots- hummus- pop corn-

Giving up sugar and my fruit craze sucked! ...but only for a little....and now its more fun because I never used to eat any beans or nuts or seeds ect-and they are good. I suggest you cut back on the fruit for now and then slowly start eating it again-this way when you are hungry you will have to eat more protein or healthy foods and these foods will better balance your blood sugar levels.
    ----but I am not a doctor! I only play one on tv:)
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    2 & 5, two fruit and five veggies. That's what they say!
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said please discuss your diet concerns with your doctor. Diabetes is a very serious matter and care must be taken when at risk for becoming diabetic. For the record, fruit is sweet because it contains fructose, and does not contain sucrose (table sugar). Fructose is much lower on the glycemic index than sucrose, but has also been linked to diabetes.

For alternatives, you could look at sugar free jello and pudding. I had sugar free pistachio pudding today and thought it tasted very good and an entire box is only 280 calories (I still shared the pudding with my boyfriend, mind you!). Sugar free cookies are still made with flour and probably should not be consumed too often. Keep in mind that there are still artificial sweeteners in sugar free products. Some people believe that artificial sweeteners are harmful but studies show no effects on glucose levels and there hasn't been any evidence that consuming them is dangerous.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Eat as much fruit as your DAILY CARBS will allow. Don't even worry about the sugar in it. The benefits of the fruit FAR out weight the concern about its sugar content.

disagree. even fruit, as good as it is, must not be over done.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

even fruit, as good as it is, must not be over done.
    [/quote]
    agree!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Every thing in moderation... Personally, I agree with the 2 fruits a day approach (and from what I have had nutritionists tell me is that a serving size is the size of your fist (which sucks for me because I love fruit and my fists are small :ohwell:)).
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Every thing in moderation... Personally, I agree with the 2 fruits a day approach (and from what I have had nutritionists tell me is that a serving size is the size of your fist (which sucks for me because I love fruit and my fists are small :ohwell:)).

LOL!!!

When I was seeing my diabetic nutritionist way back in the day when I had diabetes she put me on no more then one banana, one apple or cup of blueberries or an apple every day... These are my fav fruits. If I eat more then two servings daily I get huge cravings.

Diabetes is a lot more complicated then saying eating sweets causes diabetes.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Since your doctor has asked you to watch your carbs, you might benefit from using a lower-carb eating strategy. Many people, myself included, metabolize fasts in a much healthier fashion than we do carbs. Your doctor can do a full metabolic panel to help you figure this out, but it sounds like you may have already had one done if your doctor is telling you to watch your carb intake.

"Low carb" does not mean "no carb", and it does not even necessarily mean you must completely avoid sweets. There are several strategies to choose from depending upon your individual needs. Six days per week, I eat no fruit, no refined grains, no sugar, and no potatoes, and I STRICTLY limit my intake of root veggies, sugary veggies (like peppers), and whole grains. One day a week I eat whatever I want in any quantity I want, including sweets and junk food. Doing this, I have cut my carbs down to less than 25% of my intake, my blood sugar is rock solid, I am no longer hungry, and I am losing weight.

My point is not that you should follow my plan - my point is that lowering you carb intake can be done in a variety of ways, and it need not feel like you are depriving yourself in the process. Good luck in making whatever lifestyle change you choose!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

Sweets are fine. People sitting on their *kitten* all day watching Glee and American Idol isn't fine. Candy was common place all through the baby boomer generation growing up. The difference was that they were on their bikes or running all day long, playing outside, working in the garden, etc. Now it's sitting in a car in traffic, sitting in an office, sitting in a car in traffic again and then sitting in front of the tv watching crappy reality TV before bed.

Also, corporations make cupcakes because people buy them. People buy them because they taste good. Once in awhile I'll buy them and I'm very healthy. Hopefully, these corporations continue to make them so I can enjoy them from time to time.

haha priceless!! :drinker:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    According to a recent article in Parent's magazine, sugar from fruit is definitely better than sweets. There are other chemicals that occur naturally in the fruit that signal your body to know what to do with them, so in general they have less impact on blood sugar.

However, being borederline diabetic can throw that all off. Your body is forgetting what to do with the insulin carrying the sugars, so it stays in your blood rather than being absorbed into cells. So you want to get the majority of the sugar you do get from fruit and vegetables. You're going to really have to cut out sweets: cookies, candy, chocolate, cakes, ice cream, etc -- at least most of the time. Also make ALL your carbs count. Go for whole grains instead of refined - no more white bread, pasta or rice (go for wheat bread and pasta, and brown rice) and avoid white potatoes, including fries and chips. I have a relative who has type II diabetes and ignores this advise as much as she can get away with, and it is not a good situation for her. If you start the habits now, you might be able to avoid full diabetes, insulin shots, and all the other not-fun stuff that go with it.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it doesn't look like you eat alot of fruit, looks like you're having one or two fruit a day so I would suggest to cut down your sugar in maybe bread/pastry type of items you are eating.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Natrual sugars in fruit and vegetable, and other sources of foods are fine. Its important to read the ingredients and nutritional facts. Most products will say if there is sugar added or under the nutritional facts will say if its natural sugars.

I try and eat foods low in added sugars, but I do treat myself when I crave something.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    omg @ the responses to her in this thread.

Get off of her butt. She ate cookies and a cupcake one day. OMG LET'S ALL GIVE HER CRAP FOR IT NOW!!!!!! OMG AND SHE'S EATING FRUIT?! Oh no... you're going to have to stop eating fruit. Fruit is so bad for you because it contains natural sugar. Just never eat fruit again. You're only allowed to have kale chips with almonds and water from now until forever.

*rolls eyes*

Please.

Honestly, even if I go the entire day without eating fruits, I pretty much always go over my allotted sugar. It's difficult to not go over your sugar unless you're on a low-carb diet... and you're not drinking milk.

I would love to see what some people say about not drinking milk because it has sugar in it. Especially when they say to eat cheese, which has basically the same amount of calories as an apple, but it has fat (apples don't,) high sodium (apples don't,) and cholesterol (apples don't.) I'll take the fiber, good carbs, fiber, and Vitamin C I get from the apple, rather than a piece of cheese.

God. These forums are so ridiculous sometimes. "I would never eat a cupcake," seriously? SMDH
  • Rhea30
    Options
    omg @ the responses to her in this thread.

Get off of her butt. She ate cookies and a cupcake one day. OMG LET'S ALL GIVE HER CRAP FOR IT NOW!!!!!! OMG AND SHE'S EATING FRUIT?! Oh no... you're going to have to stop eating fruit. Fruit is so bad for you because it contains natural sugar. Just never eat fruit again. You're only allowed to have kale chips with almonds and water from now until forever.

*rolls eyes*

Please.

Honestly, even if I go the entire day without eating fruits, I pretty much always go over my allotted sugar. It's difficult to not go over your sugar unless you're on a low-carb diet... and you're not drinking milk.

I would love to see what some people say about not drinking milk because it has sugar in it. Especially when they say to eat cheese, which has basically the same amount of calories as an apple, but it has fat (apples don't,) high sodium (apples don't,) and cholesterol (apples don't.) I'll take the fiber, good carbs, fiber, and Vitamin C I get from the apple, rather than a piece of cheese.

God. These forums are so ridiculous sometimes. "I would never eat a cupcake," seriously? SMDH

You must not had read her question or looked at her food diary. If you check out her diary of recent it is more then one day, which is fine none of us our perfect and she only eats fruit once or twice a day it appears, and her question was directed to 'recent'. Everyone has given sound advice for her situation and question.
  • Rhea30
    Options
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/pre-diabetes/?loc=DropDownDB-prediabetes

That has some good info Jeannie if you haven't checked it out.