Low-cal bread that doesn't taste/feel like air!

Options
I have been eating a 40 cal per slice variety, but it is so fluffy and soft that a sandwich will fall apart before I am done with it! I would love to find something a little denser. Any suggestions, recipes??

Replies

• ryanallison
    Options
    I use the Sarah Lee low cal bread..its 45 cal per slice and it holds up well. I really like it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Flour is calorie dense by nature, so any low cal ones will be lighter and more airy. I know the Sara Lee bread uses enriched bleached flour as its primary grain, I don't know if that concerns you or not (it does me, but I'm an avid label reader).

If I need something low cal to put sandwich items on, I usually opt for sandwich thins (100 calories for the Whole Foods brand ones) or a flax wrap (made by Garden City, 90 calories).
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Lol. I know exactly what u mean. I use Healthy Light Whole wheat bread. 35/slice and holds together.
  • laurenrae83
    laurenrae83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also like Healthy Life wheat bread. Its 35 calories per slice and it actually tastes decent.
  • cbaughman07
    cbaughman07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i love healthy life bread and if I'm making it for the hubby (doesnt care for wheat) they also have white and Italian all with really low calories and pretty good fiber too
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Why not use regular bread and cut the extra 100 calories out somewhere else?
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread Light. It's amazing and dense! Mainly can only get it on the West Coast, unless you ordered it online.