Why you always gotta bust my balls?

Options
Why?

Because I know you really want to help and I want your help, just not your debates. They are confusing and annoying.

This is a very general statement and is directed at the "experts" on all threads.

I am always making bets with myself on which page you guys are going to start going back and forth with scientific explanations off topic. 4 pages later you guys figure out you have either lost interest, or you are on the same page and the debate was pointless.

Sound familiar?

You guys know a lot. I mean, you have done a lot of research and I think that is great, but do you think the best place to debate is on a thread requesting help about diet and exercise?

I think it is really great that you have taken the time to educate yourself on things that effect weight loss. One thing I would suggest is to move to a PM if you disagree with someone on a thread and it requires a scientific explanation. Not many people understand what you are talking about and why it is important. The other this is, if you want to go off subject then post your own thread.

Seeing you prove yourself right is not helping the situation. I am not going to believe that the best thing to do is to eat like a starving child in africa and turn into a cardio bunny. I am not stupid, I promise. If someone tells me to do something stupid I will simply ignore them and move on to the next post. Because I have common sense, and most people do.

I know you guys just want to help by sharing your knowledge, but for the OP and interested readers, lets stay on topic and make sure you are speaking at an entry level. Why, well because most of us are on here hoping that the guy who made this website is right and we aren't going to fail.

We need your help, we need your advice. You don't have to speak in jargon, or prove to us that you are smarter than the other guy.

If give advice and encouragement then you have done your job :-)

Thanks guys!!

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right.

We should just allow people to spout pseudo-scientific nonsense without disputing their claims with all of that confusing "science"
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Basically because this

duty_calls.png
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Fair point. However, some use of the real terms can help a person to gain a level of nutritional literacy. That helps for many reasons, not the least of which is that they are better equipped to evaluate the various info for themselves.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is the worst thing about the slimming community all over and it includes doctors and health professionals too. They all have different opinions and ideas as to what makes you loose weight. Some are on a similar track to eat other and some think they have the only right answer. I've found I loose weight easier if I do what. Think is right. It's too easy to read up on lots of different ideas and just get stuck.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Basically because this

duty_calls.png

I agree completely! someone is always out to argue, keep the peace man!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    So you are looking for platitudes, duly noted
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Did you bet on the 1st reply?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right.

We should just allow people to spout pseudo-scientific nonsense without disputing their claims with all of that confusing "science"

You can. Just think about what you are posting before you post it. I tell people they are wrong all the time. But when you start getting into a 3 page long debate and the OP's question is no longer the topic, then that is a problem.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

132968433179.jpg
  • nixirain
    Options
    So you are looking for platitudes, duly noted

No. I urge you to know your audience. Make sure they can understand what you are talking about and benefit from what you are saying.

It is pretty simple. I appreciate your reply. :-)I think it helped a few people.
  • nixirain
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I didn't! Damn! lol
  • kellybib
    Options
    Was lol to this post as i was reading. Soooooooooo true :laugh: :happy:
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Basically because this

duty_calls.png

oops that is totally me on the computer.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: i was thining last night ...where is the love on these forums:heart:

i think you are correct in saying that if 2 people get into a debate on a topic ...they should move to a private message
    it makes the forums tiring and full of clutter that others don't need/or want to see:huh:

there ...said my peace
  • nixirain
    Options
    Fair point. However, some use of the real terms can help a person to gain a level of nutritional literacy. That helps for many reasons, not the least of which is that they are better equipped to evaluate the various info for themselves.

I agree. But remember to answer the question first. Adding in a little knowledge is helpful, just make you aren't putting newbs on overload.

This all stems from how I reacted to the Forums when I started 2 months ago. OVERLOADED!!! And this was on simple topic post like: Why am I not losing weight? I had to do weeks of research to figure out what people were talking about. Also, scrolling through 3 pages just to get past the back and forth put me on overload.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

i think you are correct in saying that if 2 people get into a debate on a topic ...they should move to a private message
    it makes the forums tiring and full of clutter that others don't need/or want to see:huh:

there ...said my peace

Good point. That way nobody will ever be forced to challenge their misconceptions, and we'll have much more room for "Does this count as water" posts.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Basically because this

duty_calls.png

Awesome! lol
  • nixirain
    Options

there ...said my peace

Good point. That way nobody will ever be forced to challenge their misconceptions, and we'll have much more room for "Does this count as water" posts.

I post these things knowing that someone will get butt hurt about it and it will never change. I'm ok with this.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

there ...said my peace

I agree with this ^^ Stuff like that keeps the boards interesting :D If it wasn't for that I think everyone would still be spouting off "eat 6 meals a day to rev metabolism" and other BS xD

I think that if the argument starts on page 4 then the original question was answered, then the scientific battle starts! So more people can learn :D
  • kellybib
    Options
    [/quote]

Hang on every post is valid and no one should put ppl off of asking a question no matter how trivial it may seem to you. We are supposed to be supporting each other arnt we all in the same boat!