"Running Issues"

Options
When I step onto the treadmill for my workout, I know exactly what is gonna happen. Im gonna speed walk for an hour while everyone around me is running their tooshies off. In my head theres a constant battle. On one side, I know I need not focus on what everyone else is doing at the gym, I should just focus on myself and my workout. On the other side, I know I could lose so many more calories if Id just pick up the pace.

Also in my mind, is this image of myself. As soon as I even start to jog a little, I think I look like a total spazz, and I'm fairly certain its not just in my mind :)

Anyone else feel like they look like a spazz while running, or is that just me? How can I slowly build up my stamina so Im not worn out from running before I even really start?

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    First....forget about what those around you think. :) You are training for you...not for those around you.

I would recommend doing intervals. Speed walk to warm up then up the pace to a comfortable jog. When you feel you've reached your limit, lower the pace to your speed walk to recover. When you feel ready, up the pace again and repeat. You'll find that over time you will be able to maintain your run for longer periods! Good luck!
  • marmar8302
    Options
    Muchos Gracias!

Thats about the extent of any spanish I know...anyways, Ive heard about the intervals kind of workout...I might just have to try it.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    First....forget about what those around you think. :) You are training for you...not for those around you.

that's about it .. do it for you and your health .. good luck ... many people here can help you or motivate you ... this is a great system... enjoy ..
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have to agree intervals is a great way to train or workout. Google couch to 5k plans. You will be able to use it to do your intervals. There some for smart phones or you can use a timer or watch. People who are working out are NOT paying any attention to you. TRUST AND BELIEVE THAT!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Muchos Gracias!

Thats about the extent of any spanish I know...anyways, Ive heard about the intervals kind of workout...I might just have to try it.

Interval running has definitely worked for me. Also try speed walking at an incline to build up some of your leg muscles and in my case, your ankles. I have weak ankles and working those tendons (sp?) and muscles out by walking uphill really helps once you start jogging more and increasing your distance. I feel ya on the spazz running as well cuz my right leg does not bend properly when I extend it back, it actually bends out instead of straight back if that makes sense. Luckily there's a guy that runs in my gym who is a total "rockstar" on the tredmill. Seriously...he listens to some great music apparently cuz half the time he's doing air guitar and pumping his fists :laugh: so he get me through my run.
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    forget all those people running their tooshies off. you burn more calories faster on an incline. i am physically unable to run. i put the incline up pretty high and power walk and boy do i work up a sweat! and according to the machine i burn a lot of calories. i am also that person that looks at the machine of the person next to me to see what they are doing and the ones that are running on no incline are burning fewer calories than i am! it all depends on what you are doing it for. some people run to build endurance. i on the other hand am concerned with calorie burning at the gym and to do so i hike up the incline and power walk.
  • lannna17
    Options
    I have to agree intervals is a great way to train or workout. Google couch to 5k plans. You will be able to use it to do your intervals. There some for smart phones or you can use a timer or watch. People who are working out are NOT paying any attention to you. TRUST AND BELIEVE THAT!

So true!! and if they are, THEY'RE not doing it right!!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree, forget what you may think others think around you. I just started running about 3 weeks ago. I started out walking and the started speeding up. One day I just started running to see if I could do it. I can about run 2 miles non-stop. I have started reading the book Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons. She even makes a point about feeling silly when you run or what others may think about your running. Its a very good book so far. Also I think I look strange when I run and my husband said it too.:huh: But that is ok. I am not out to impress anyone but myself. :bigsmile:

Whether you start running or not, just remember to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Best wishes on your journey. Feel free to add me if you like. Namaste

=^_^=
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year and I think I still look like a complete spaz when I run!

Couch to 5k and programs like Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk method are great ways to start running if you want...or just incorporate incline into your walking program and you'll get a great workout that way too (and less impact on the body...as much as I love running, it is hard on my body). Good luck!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I agree, forget what you may think others think around you. I just started running about 3 weeks ago. I started out walking and the started speeding up. One day I just started running to see if I could do it. I can about run 2 miles non-stop. I have started reading the book Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons. She even makes a point about feeling silly when you run or what others may think about your running. Its a very good book so far.

Whether you start running or not, just remember to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Best wishes on your journey. Feel free to add me if you like. Namaste

=^_^=

Kara Goucher's book is awesome!
  • Kougra
    Options
    I agree, forget what you may think others think around you. I just started running about 3 weeks ago. I started out walking and the started speeding up. One day I just started running to see if I could do it. I can about run 2 miles non-stop. I have started reading the book Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons. She even makes a point about feeling silly when you run or what others may think about your running. Its a very good book so far.

=^_^=

Kara Goucher's book is awesome!

It is an extremely AWESOME book. I love that it doesn't ramble on and on. Since starting this book, I am actually starting to enjoy running....not loving it yet. But I have a feeling I will come to love it!
  • marmar8302
    Options
    I might also add that not only do I run spaz-like...but since tonight marked my third night this week at the gym, Im still fairly out of shape :( So Im huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf, sweating buckets and spazzing out! I think the intervals workout will help with all that in due time! Thanks for all the great feedback!

Add me as a friend if you would like. Id like to think that not only do I offer positive support, but I can give you a laugh or two...and laughing burns calories too you know!
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm over 300lb .. I imagine that this is not a pretty sight when jogging. I let that stop me for YEARS. I've started to do intervals and you just have to do it. This is for you, not anyone else. If people don't like looking at you, they don't have to look. I'm doing 2 minutes of walking, 30 seconds of jogging right now and going to slowly add more time to the jogging as I go. Couch to 5k seems like a great program to get yourself into a jogging habit. I just have to start a bit slower than they start you.

Good luck!
  • Kougra
    Options
    I might also add that not only do I run spaz-like...but since tonight marked my third night this week at the gym, Im still fairly out of shape :( So Im huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf, sweating buckets and spazzing out! I think the intervals workout will help with all that in due time! Thanks for all the great feedback!

Add me as a friend if you would like. Id like to think that not only do I offer positive support, but I can give you a laugh or two...and laughing burns calories too you know!

That is ok! You have to start some where. It gets easier over time. C25K is a great tool. =^_^=
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    there's a great meme going around about that exact fact with running as of late, really just do it at your pace and just for a little bit and you'll get there, plus you'll burn more calories in less time yay! so you can get out of there faster and enjoy life :)

http://theyellowcottage.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/when-i-run.jpg

we all have this thought so just go do it!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Google "Elephant on a treadmil" there is a perfect picture on there of how i felt like i sounded when i run. I am a small 5'0 however i've never been light on my feet. I refused to run around people for the longest time, now i just turn up my iphone and jam to my music. i could careless what i sound like because i see people twice my size killing it on the machines. If they can do it, so can i and we shouldn't care what we sound or look like.
  • marmar8302
    Options
    Google "Elephant on a treadmil" there is a perfect picture on there of how i felt like i sounded when i run. I am a small 5'0 however i've never been light on my feet. I refused to run around people for the longest time, now i just turn up my iphone and jam to my music. i could careless what i sound like because i see people twice my size killing it on the machines. If they can do it, so can i and we shouldn't care what we sound or look like.

Whod have known that a pic like that would be exactly what I needed tonight! LOL! Thanks for the encouraging words...I'll just have to learn to shut off my brain, care less about the others around me, and pump up the jam!
  • jennafluff
    Options
    My husband looks a toal spazz when he runs. His knees sort of jack-knife out at 90 degrees if you get the picture. I hassle him, his friends hassle him (we know he can take it) and he JUST DOESN'T CARE. My point is that it's what he does, who he is and ammed if anyone is going to stop him.
    By the way, I can't run. I could walk all day, can do 8 hour tramps in five hours, when everyone else says lets stop for a rest, I wonder what their problem is. But get me to run...................... I can last about 10 minutes!!!!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Run outside or on an indoor track.

Treadmills make everyone look like a spazz. Then there is the thunderous thud thud thud when you land on the treadmill. Makes me think everyone is looking. I trained for, ran and finished a full marathon in 2007. Even in the middle of winter when it was super icy I didn't run on a treadmill. I tried running outside when it was icy slipped and fell on my butt. Everyone laughed at the stupid girl from L.A. trying to run on ice (after they asked if I was okay or if they needed to call the ambulance and then told me that I needed to get checked out by a doctor in case I have a cracked tail bone - wow). I went to the indoor track or did speed drills until the ice melted.
  • LisaMarieMcFIT
    Options
    I've always disliked running, but tried the couch to 5k program a couple times and it's great at easing you into it.