Waist-whittling, Pilates, and the Transverse Abdominis

Options
Alright so I am a bit confused on muscle development etc. When you work a muscle and put it under strain, it gets bigger over time. Of course. Now if you ask people how to get a smaller waist, they would naturally say just work on your abs. But the more I think, the more it doesn't make sense. If I want a smaller waist, shouldn't I avoid working those muscles so that they don't get bigger? Alot of people ~say~ that Pilates can help you achieve a smaller waistline, yet I've noticed that like 90% of the exercises in pilates works the front abdominals, or the six-pack area, so people end up with a squared-off torso.
I also googled some famous pilates trainers and their waist-to-hip ratio isn't exactly much of a ratio at all lol.
Then I did further research and discovered that the Transverse Abdominis muscle acts like your bodies' internal corset. And that if you want a smaller waist, to focus on working this particular muscle.
Yet I'm thinking, wouldn't that make the muscle bigger? And thus pushing outward on the other outer abdominals so that your waist ends up looking ticker and more square? Or is this muscle special in that when it is worked it gets tighter and pulls in the waist somehow? :\
I have also heard that the key to a small waistline is to work the back muscles, especially directly behind the waist via deadlift etc.
I really don't know what to think here.

Replies

• beagle72
    beagle72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Although no expert, I think you are mixing up a lot of things here...

Yes a muscle will get bigger (actually wider is a better description) with a lot of strength training, but you are going to lose so much more in fat (assuming you have any) that the difference is noticeable. Also, strong active muscles hold you in a better shape because although their mass is more, they get wider and shorter- think of it this way:

Let yourself relax and 'flop' as much as possible. Now tense all your muscles and hold yourself in... see the difference - active strong muscles will do some of that for you because as they put on mass the get a bit shorter and fatter. (an analogy for that - think of a muscle as a plastic bag with some gel in it, stronger muscles = more gel = 'bigger' bag, but the two ends are closer together.

Back muscles also help a great deal as they improve posture - you will just naturally stand taller and straighter.

Ultimately a tape measure is only so good. Stand up, look in a mirror and you will look better (shape) with more muscle tone than without.

Hope my ramblings help a bit...