How long did it take you to get good at Zumba???

Options
I've been doing Zumba 2 on the Wii for a couple weeks now and I just can't move as fast as the instructors,:noway: lol!!! Will I ever get fast enough to really be good at it?

Replies

• MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That depends. Can you fly or take drugs? If not, you'll probably never be good at it. LOL I've done it for about 4 months now, once a week, and I still suck. I've learned some routines, but I still fumble and seem to be a beat behind. If you weren't born with rythm, you'll probably always muck something up. haha Don't worry about it, just enjoy. That's what it's all about anyway!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    well I can't even get it to recognize that I've made a single move right. So you're ahead of me.

There is a reason I've never tried a Zumba class :wink: But seriously, on teaching mode going slow I KNOW I do some of the steps correctly....don't know why it won't accept it.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on Kinect since Christmas. Still tripping on my own feet! But I have fun and burn calories anyway and that's what counts.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yep... i looked drunk the first time i tried zumba. it took me a couple weeks before i felt like i was following well. mind you i am not a good dancer and my hips don't swing the way their do, but my feet are moving and grooving so who cares!
  • teresab46970
    teresab46970 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I cant keep up either, but when I get to that I just move and try. Some of the fancy footwork ....just NOT gonna happen for me....lol But it is alot of fun!!!!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I suck. I can somewhat dance in public, and I still suck. I dont think I will ever be able to move that fast!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dancing and so I would like to try Zumba but there is no way in heck I'd go to a class and I'm too cheap to buy a WII just for that.

*sighs*
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I bought the game and tried it twice I felt as thought I wasn't doing anything regular Zumba classes I hear are a lot better. Don't know I was really excited to about the wii game when I seen it but then I got it and I was so :cry: sad that I took it back where I bought it and i bought another game that I like a lot better.

Hope you figure it out soon good luck to you
  • angebrun
    angebrun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I go to class, I don't have it on wii, so I can only answer from that perspective. I can now saw (after 4 weeks, 3-4 times per week) that I'm no longer the worst :)
    There is a learning curve, of course- I might suggest, if you can, to take an in person class- if nothing else, at least you'll see how many others are tripping over their own feet :)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD's. I did them all once and never did them again. I'm pretty much the only person I've ever known that thinks Zumba is way to easy and find it very boring. =/ Wish I would have known that before I bought the DVD's.
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    I am a Zumba fanatic. I go to classes 3x per week and also do Zumba at home 3x per week. I do routines that I learned in class though. I would say after 2-3x of doing a song I have it memorized.
    I have the Zumba for the WII and absolutely hate it. I just can't get into it, can't learn the routines and I think it's absolutely terrible.

If I were you, I would go to a class. It is SO much better. You really can't judge Zumba by a DVD or a video game. I am obsessed with Zumba and I don't enjoy it, so, if you actually think it is fun that way you would be IN LOVE with a class! I promise, classes are easier because they are more exciting.
  • koka824
    koka824 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last responder who says you can't judge Zumba by the game or DVD. Class is soooo much more fun. It's like a party! I go to class 5 times a week. I have the wii zumba mostly to play with my kids...... but it's just completely different than class. It's the best when you can find and instructor that you like since they can all be a little different. I go to 24 Hour Fitness but follow the same instructor around town because she's a ton of fun, motivates me, and I like her music selection.

I feel like I catch on quickly with the choreography and memorize it well and that's why I love it so much. But there are lots of people I see very regularly in my classes who do their own thing and never get all the steps right and they are ok with it because it's just fun to move to the music. If you focus so much on the steps you might lose the fun of it. As long as you're dancing and moving, your working your body. You can modify anything in Zumba to fit you. When I first started there were lots of moves I couldn't do. Now I have a ton more stamina and have lost some weight and I improve every week. Just remember, in a class setting everyone is so busy looking at the instructor there's no time to look around at everyone else.

Try a live Zumba class at least 5 times with the same instructor (if you can) to try and get your groove. If I wasn't so shy, I'd be an instructor myself :)
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    Have you tried a class its much better than the wii one as you dont feel so much rushed i love it have you tried the new style Bokwa yet this is another good class
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba 2 on the Wii for a couple weeks now and I just can't move as fast as the instructors,:noway: lol!!! Will I ever get fast enough to really be good at it?

this is me...:bigsmile:
    i am afraid to try a live class:noway:
  • lisa28115
    Options
    I bought the game and tried it twice I felt as thought I wasn't doing anything regular Zumba classes I hear are a lot better. Don't know I was really excited to about the wii game when I seen it but then I got it and I was so :cry: sad that I took it back where I bought it and i bought another game that I like a lot better.

Hope you figure it out soon good luck to you

healthy4u

what game did you trade your zumba in for that you like better?
  • lisa28115
    Options
    it definitely makes me sweat!!!
    i have only been able to make it thru 3 songs so far
  • lyndsey0510
    Options
    it took me a few weeks at class but you do get better :-)
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD's. I did them all once and never did them again. I'm pretty much the only person I've ever known that thinks Zumba is way to easy and find it very boring. =/ Wish I would have known that before I bought the DVD's.

sell them on ebay? i brought mine on amazon - that's the only way i could afford it. love love love it - that's not saying im any good at it though lol
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love the wii game but am told first one sucks and Zumba 2 is the good one but from a Zumba 2 prespective I started doing the individual songs did each one once and now go back and do a combo of the ones I'm in a mood for that day I've done it maybe 20 times now and have 5 stars in 60% and my accuracy has gone up each time so keep at it! Ps I've done live classes too each to their own
  • DebsXmas40
    Options
    Zumba is all about having fun, dont worry about getting it 'right', everyone is different and has their own style. I have been going to classes for about 18 months now and have learnt to have the confidence to just do my own version if i cant keep up or get muddled. As long as your moving your burning calories its fine and im sure i burn calories just laughing at some of the moves i end up doing!!! I tried the wii version a few months ago and just couldnt do it at all... gave up and went back to class!