whey protein powder

Options
what are everyones thoughts on whey protein shakes. Is it a good way of increasing protein intake? Are there any disadvantages and has it made any differences to anyones weightloss after taking it.

Replies

• salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    what are everyones thoughts on whey protein shakes. Is it a good way of increasing protein intake? Are there any disadvantages and has it made any differences to anyones weightloss after taking it.

End of the day, its just another source of calories - so if you use them, you need to be burning it off or it will cause weight gain simply based on Calories in > calories out.
    You don't need protein drinks to lose weight specifically, and its healthier/cheaper to make sure you're getting adequate protein from your diet anyways.

Some people do like them as a 'snack' because they make you feel full... but definitely shouldn't be used as a meal replacement.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you can, it's better to get natural protein from food sources. That's what I read anyway. With that said, I drink Body Fortress Whey Protein after my workout each day. I only drink 8 oz. and mix it with water. I love it. It's tasty. I haven't gained weight from taking it and I have been losing consistently but I think that is a result of my workouts and eating better/within calorie range.

Definitely do not use it as a meal replacement.. IMO, I don't like meal replacements. Can't beat good food :)
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you can, it's better to get natural protein from food sources. That's what I read anyway. With that said, I drink Body Fortress Whey Protein after my workout each day. I only drink 8 oz. and mix it with water. I love it. It's tasty. I haven't gained weight from taking it and I have been losing consistently but I think that is a result of my workouts and eating better/within calorie range.

Definitely do not use it as a meal replacement.. IMO, I don't like meal replacements. Can't beat good food :)

Where do buy this stuff?
  • vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use PHD lean protein (just 1 scoop) on exercise days.... and i do think it's helped.... but if i had tried to up my protein naturally i think it would probably have been the same result (i am vegetarian and sometimes find it hard to get all the protein i need).... so use the protein shake as a boost.

V
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have used whey protien for years. I do much better on a high protein diet. I use the powder in my smoothies or just have a shake. I think they are better with skim than just with water but that is personal preference.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use it to keep my protein levels up, it really helps in keeping me full. The only meal I use it to replace is breakfast, otherwise it is a filler.
  • loischapman
    Options
    It is a great whey (play on words) to get protein. Most importantly if you are working out, It helps to keep muscle strong after each workout actually repairing muscle. also very important as we age for healthy bones.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Where do buy this stuff?

Wal-Mart carries Body Fortress last I knew. I think there are better protein powders out there. Do some looking on the internet. There are a ton of options out there. Good luck.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes all the time. I prefer GNC Total Lean 25 because you get 25 grams of protein per 2 scoops and 8 grams of fiber. I either mix it with water or unsweetened almond milk. I NEVER use dairy milk.

Unless I am fasting, I never do protein shakes for every meal, just one or two.

IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR REAL FOOD. However, it is an effective way to lose weight and you know EXACTLY what you caloric intake is. Also, it is portable and easy to take on the go.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes...good for repairing muscles after a workout.
    You can get it from food, but sometimes the food but protein shakes are i guess a faster way to get them etc
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I try to use plant based protein supplements, I've tried Vega and I'm now using Hemp Protein, I use them usually in the am after a hard workout or as a midmorning snack.

ETA: Watch for sugar in them, they sometimes add a lot of sugar to make them taste decent, especially the ready-made bottled drinks.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Where do buy this stuff?

Body Fortress is sold at Wal-Mart
  • linkage71
    Options
    I use whey protein daily. It helps me maitain muscle mass when trying to lose weight (fat). My brand of choice is Dymatize Chocolate Peanut Butter. A five pound bucket of the stuff only costs $45 which lasts me at least two months.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use some whey before I go to the gym because I am an AM exerciser. I don't like to go on an empty stomach and need to go before work.

I then take it after on days I also lift.

I don't use it to replace any meals but I do drink it about halfway between breakfast and lunch to give my body a boost of protein.

Cheap good whey can be found at Sams and Costco. Not the worlds best but good enough for a cheap whey supplement

My preference is Muscletech's 100% Premium Whey Protein Plus ($33 for a 5lb bag.) The new and improved flavor is amazing too.
  • 2Fabulous2BFat
    Options
    I drink Soy Protein Shakes w/Lactaid Fat Free Milk and enjoy it. I don't use it as a meal replacement just as a snack after my workout. It keeps me full as I'm whining down from my day and workout, till I'm able to prepare my dinner. I continue to lose weight and it has not had a negative effect against my goal.:smile:
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like eating something after a hard run I'll mix a scoop of Body Fortress -Vanilla with eight ounces of orange juice. It might not suite your taste, but I like it and you get some carbs to refuel and some protein to rebuild.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Syntrax Double Stuffed Cookie with Almond milk. I got a hold of the company because I wanted to try the Chocolate Truffle but did not want to get a full size to see that I did not like it. This is what they said:

"Nectar™ Variety Sampler containing 13 full serving packages for only $13.00! gives us a call at 866-333-7403 Ext. 803, and we will be more than happy to help you! Available only in the US"

. ... and it is in there! totally ordered it and the $13 included shipping!:bigsmile:
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    I drink whey protein is a good way to get the protein you need. Studies have shown that whey is more beneficial when losing weight than other protein supplements. Whey is a fast acting protein that can be used first thing in the morning, after a workout, or as snack to get some extra protein. You can even add it to recipes and cook it (pancakes, waffles, and other things). Casein Protein is a slow digesting protein that can be used at night to help your body repair the muscles.

My daily goal for protein is around 250 grams(roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight while in a calorie deficit to help maintain muscle). Its hard to get all of that from chicken, turkey, eggs, peanut butter and other sources without supplementing. Now there are a lot of junk protein powders out there with tons of artificial ingredients and loaded with sugar. You want to find one that is low on sugar. Read the labels and compare to find the best option for you.

The other product I love to use is Shakeology. The Chocolate is 140 calories with 17 grams of whey protein. It has 70 all natural ingredients and has tons of vitamins and other things that help to fill in the gaps of our nutrition.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I only use it on weight lifting days. To get as much protein from regular foods i would have to eat quite a bit more than I want. Most powders have the protein, some amino's that we need, a bit of sodium and the calories. Enough regular food to match the quantity of protein in the powders would come with all this, but it would also come with lots more stuff I don't want extra (stuff I want, just not extra of it) of like the fats, even more sodium etc. etc.. I don't use it for any meal replacement, just before and after weight training. I will take an extra scoup now and then if my diary shows too many calories still on the table at the end of the day.

Almost forgot. I have noticed a difference in the time needed after a workout for muscle repair. The extra protein helps to repair faster. So with the faster healing comes more workouts, with more workouts come more muscle and the more muscle we have the more calories our bodies burn in maintenance.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I add it to almost everything I eat.