Wheelchair user unable to exercise

Options
Hi I'm Kerry and have been using this site for 5 days now. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy and use a powered wheelchair full time. Losing weight is very difficult for me because I have very little strength so am trying to shed the lbs by controlling my calorie intake alone.

I would love to hear from anyone in the same situation as myself or anyone who has any tips on possible exercises I might be able to do.

Many thanks :smile:

Replies

• KathieSwenson
    Options
    Hey welcome. It is a firm belief of mine that even you can loose weight. First of all just managing your wheelchair can be logged as exercise, so don't forget to log it. I would get a heart rate monitor or calorie monitor that will help you determine the amount of calories you use when your moving. Secondly. Any upper body strength activities you can do? Like light weights hammer curls ect could help. When I say light I mean 2lb weights ect. Even something as light as that can help build lean muscle mass which helps burn calories. Do you go to any physical thearapy for your spinal muscular atrophy? If so ask your physical therapist to help you out by assigning physical therapy exercises that can help with your weight loss. Also first and foremost consult your dr before doing anything drastic. I can not say I know the problems you are going through because I don't but I commend you for trying and wanting to work at it and be healthy.
  • vanessagardner01
    Options
    Get Leanne Grose Wheelchair Workout, its available on Amazon and is especially for people like you. :smile:
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've seen news pieces on exercise classes for senior citizens, they have a lot of things they do while seated. Maybe you could ask someone who runs one of those classes for exercises?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome. It is a firm belief of mine that even you can loose weight. First of all just managing your wheelchair can be logged as exercise, so don't forget to log it. I would get a heart rate monitor or calorie monitor that will help you determine the amount of calories you use when your moving. Secondly. Any upper body strength activities you can do? Like light weights hammer curls ect could help. When I say light I mean 2lb weights ect. Even something as light as that can help build lean muscle mass which helps burn calories. Do you go to any physical thearapy for your spinal muscular atrophy? If so ask your physical therapist to help you out by assigning physical therapy exercises that can help with your weight loss. Also first and foremost consult your dr before doing anything drastic. I can not say I know the problems you are going through because I don't but I commend you for trying and wanting to work at it and be healthy.

She said in her post that she uses a power wheelchair, so just getting around can't be counted.

OP, is it possible for you to use a manual wheelchair for exercise purposes? You'd probably need to build up to it so using one exclusively to get around probably wouldn't work at first, but if you can I would suggest using a manual one for exercise.....perhaps find a gym where you would be able to wheel around an indoor track or something? Good luck to you!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Could try aquatic therapy at a health clinic? I know that the YMCA I go to has an annex for a rehab center, and so there is this special smaller heated pool that is used for arthritis patients, or patients returning after surgery etc. It is a warm water class and there is one gentleman in the class who is in a wheelchair and he gets in the class using a chair designed so that he can get in safely, and workout while still staying seated on a bench.

Not sure if there might be something like this in your area, but worth a shot! :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    The trick to every good weight loss plan is simple...eat less calories then you expend. It isn't about low carb, low fat, high protein, etc. It just comes down to eating less and eating everytihng in moderation. :)

Also, I am not sure exactly how much you can move around in your chair, but ther are wheelchair workouts. Search google and see what you can come up with. :)

So I know you can do it! :) Really focus on what you are eating and you will achieve your goals. :)
  • Julie_9
    Julie_9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with kathie, adding in some upper strength might be the best way to go. Of course double check everything with your dr first. Weight training no matter how light the weights are you can still add muscle by doing it. Weight training also burns calories long after you have finished ( so I have been taught.) If your dr ok's the light weight training start out with 2lbs and work your way up to 3's or 4's with time. There are lots of arm exercises you can do sitting down with your arms. I am not that educated on Spinal Muscular Atrophy so I am not sure how helpful my information will be but I wish you the best of luck! Please keep us posted on your achievements. You can do anything you put your mind too.
  • Geehaachgee
    Options
    hi, me too, sma, very, very weak - do you want to chat somehow about this? i am trying to remain under 800kcal a day, as that's how much you burn sleeping. be careful re exercises - can and will make us weaker faster!
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am partially handicapped. I had a severed foot, so walking, or running or many exercises are impossible for me. I am very glad to hear there are alternatives. I have been trying to compare my amount of energy expended to what it used to take to do different activities. For example, I need to figure out what a flight of stairs burns for me. It takes me a very long time to walk the stairs and is very painful. (I use 2 canes, a walker or a wheelchair depending on the activity. I am excited to hear there is something to measure calorie use. Time to go research that. I have also been doing exercises in my bed and dividing steps into 10 minute (my restriction on walking (hobbling).) Hang in there! Feel free to add me...I do understand even though my handicap is different than yours, I understand the frustration of losing slowly and having to work harder to reach our goals! :happy:
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    Providing it's not painful, you can do air punches to boost your heart rate for cardio.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! My partner has a physical disability. It's about finding what works for you. Little bits of exercise are better than nothing, and will help you build up to bigger and different things. I know for my spouse he does lots of upper body. And has had some adaptations for him (ie: wrist hooks). Perhaps you could get some input from a physio or OT?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi :D

First thing I would do is see if there is a rehab gym in your area- they'll have equipment that is much more adaptable. The people working there will have a much better idea of exercises too - I would ask your doctor because these gyms aren't usually listed in the phone book. :)

When I was in my chair full time and wasn't strong enough to roll and get up to a heart rate that would burn anything- I rolled back and forth in bed. I would lay flat and rock till my heart rate climbed- took a while but it was about being able to move at all- y'know? Sounds silly now that I typed it out and am not saying it would work for you- just an example of viewing things differently that can help. Was great too because I couldn't keep my balance standing so knew I was safe lying down.

For exercise I used bands with handles. I could put the strap around a door and use the hole in the handle to put my hand through. Then I would move as was able- and since it's a band I didn't have to worry about dropping it :) Also- did not tax the weight limit of my chair. I would hold a book or 2 liter in a bear hug and bend forward to work out my core. Having my Hubbs spot me was very very important for that- I could fall forward so easy at first.

I never got to try a pool but some of my friends have and they loved it- they have a harness that you sit in and move as you are able- they said it was great weighing less and freedom of movement because the harness held them up.
  • Hotwheelslou
    Hotwheelslou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in a wheelchair and I found a program that has helped me lose weight. I've lost 50 pounds since August of 2012. I also have a friend that has partial paralysis and she lost 80 pounds. It can be done with the right nutrition. If you are interested, please contact me through my website and we can talk. Everything about me and my journey is there. Here is the link.
    http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/torinolou