hangover food???

Options
Well, I over did it last night. 6 glasses of wine :blushing: and of course now I'm starving. Already had 1/2 cup of coffee, and my left over crab cake. I guess this is ONE reason it is so terrible to drink. BUT what are the best hangover foods that are not terribly bad for you???? Please don't judge :drinker: LOL Thanks.

Replies

• MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Have a banana, it has potassium in it which is meant to be good for a hangover. Hope you feel better soon.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that you should eat fruits and nuts when hungover, as that will ultimately make you feel better than what you are actually craving (foods high in fat and carbs). And drink LOADS of water.
  • Charleylololol
    Options
    i always crave cheese on toast when i'm hungover! you could make that more healthy by using wholemeal bread and only having a very thin layer of cheese :)
    fruit smoothies are also good, get your energy up with good sugar rather than bad sugar!
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    chicken soup always works for me :-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the banana, I would do a nice vanilla protein shake with a couple strawberries and a banana.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hair o' the dog that bit ya?
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me it has to be a cooked breakfast.
    I just had a scrambled medium egg- approx 100 kcal, 3 rashers bacon medallions (18kcal each) and 2 pieces toast (weightwatchers 50kcal each) and a big squirt of tomato ketchup. Perfect hangover food for only 250kcal.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Toast, V8 and a multivitamin. (normally I'd go for a bacon egg and cheese biscuit, but I don't think that fits your criteria. ;) )
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Banana, a vitamin water and just continue to drink water all day long. Whatever you do don't take asprin or anything like that because it completely ruins your liver after drinking
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any healthy hangover foods. The greasier the better always worked for me!
  • kellyh2
    Options
    tomato soup, filling and yummy at the same time :-) thats my plan for tomorrow after my wine tonight
  • JoKool
    Options
    I feel for you. This happened to me last Friday night. (Tequila) On Saturday and Sunday and I couldn't stop eating as I felt sooooooooo bad. When I weighed in, my food fiesta set me back 4 lbs. UGH!!!! Well today is Friday..one week later...and I am back on track. This week I just stayed diligent about eating healthy and staying within my calorie goal...stepped it up on excersise a bit...and got some good sleep.

I say "hang" in there. If you have to eat a little more to offset the "feel bads"...just try to eat something filling and low calorie...triscuits and cheddar cheese, yogurt, whole wheat bagel....LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER. Stay within your dietary guidelines so that you don't have a "carbohydrate and fat hangover" and then end up craving more of the bad stuff after your "wine hangover" is subsided.

Just don't beat yourself up about it. Treat it like you would having a forbidden dessert. Every once in a while we need and deserve to indulge. We just have to cut back back for the next few days to offset the difference. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Big Mac!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    McDonald's McMuffin. Under 300 calories and just enough grease to do the job.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hydrate. That always helps me. Water, powerade, gatorade....
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Coconut Water......has the potassium of over 10 bananas, and more electrolytes then Gatorade could even wish it had. All grocery stores sell it, usually Goya brand, and it is in a steel can. and very good!!
    or just buy a young coconut (not ripe), and drink the water out of it.

Google it, if you don't believe me. :-)
    here is one link: http://thehealthydrinker.com/2011/03/coconut-water-vs-gatorade-the-hangover-cure-battle/

Good Luck
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Big mac, fries and a large coke with an apple pie.
  • Handbanana06
    Handbanana06 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Banana, toast, V8 and a multivit! Water water water, alcohol dehydrates you and throws your body out of balance.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bacon, eggs and toast...Bacon's not too bad, you could use Egg Beaters and have whole wheat toast.

I feel your "pain"...I have given up alcohol quite a bit since I began my journey and now, when I do have a few, it doesn't take much!
  • Stinalynn121
    Stinalynn121 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hangover's are caused by dehydration of the liver (am in medical classes just learnt about this last term lol), when you drink it releases a specific hormone that acts as a diuretic causing you to pee more lol, best thing is to get rehydrated, try sports drinks like gatorade or something like that, they will rebalance your electrolytes and help with rehydration, also, orange juice seems to always help me a LOT when I have a hangover.