Back pain/soreness and running??

Options
Okay, so I've been running my treadmill for quite some time now (generally 3+miles @ 6mph). I just started C25k outside, and my back is killing me!! It's usually the day after I run C25k. Any suggestions? I'm going to try and get an appointment with my chiro today, and I'm guessing it's due to the higher impact of running on the ground. Any suggestions? I'm really starting to enjoy my runs, and don't really want to give it up...

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you work out your core? If you strengthen that, it will help immensely. Also, running outside can be harder on the body than on a treadmill. The treadmill adds cushioning that a hard sidewalk doesn't. I stretch and do exercises to strengthen my core and it has helped.
  • rebeccazeno
    rebeccazeno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with your doctor to make sure you're not hurting yourself. One suggestion is, make sure you are wearing a good pair of shoes. That helps more than you would think...:-)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Good shoes and good form are important!

Also, do back stretches after your run. I have back issues and stretching the back afterwards helps immensely. Also ice too.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Core strengthening and good running shoes. I also do standing back bends as part of my post-run stretching.

I have had back problems for several years and the combination of the above has helped immensely. Definitely get yourself checked out but if everything else looks good those things should help.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When you are working "core" don't forget the glutes. Hip abduction, esp in a standing, closed-chain position can be very effective.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    When you are working "core" don't forget the glutes. Hip abduction, esp in a standing, closed-chain position can be very effective.

Definitely. Core means everything from your thighs to your chest.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've been running for four years now and every single time that I transition from indoor running to outdoor running I get lower back pain. It's probably more tightness than pain and it always goes away within a week. On a side note, seeing a doctor never hurts, just to be on the safe side.
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a great pair of running shoes that I was fitted for a few weeks ago. I think it's just the outside running that's getting me. I'm going to my chiropractor tomorrow who specializes in sport related stuff. Thanks for the core suggestions :smile:
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Good luck. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to it.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Upper? Lower? Muscle soreness? Specific muscles? Joint pain?

Could be your too tense. That happens to my shoulders every once in a while.
    Could be lack of stretching. That happens to me a lot, unfortunately.