poop

Options
odd question.. but im a little worried... why is my poop green................ am i missing something

Replies

• Dahavol
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but are you eating a lot of green veggies? Green ruffage (spinach, romaine, broccali, etc.) leads to green poop. There are of course other possible explanations, but this one seems to be the most obvious.
  • KanBrit
    KanBrit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? That could explain a lot
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Oh and I wouldn't worry too much on color unless it is blood red or dark and tar like, all of which could be signals of internal bleeding.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/otherdiseases/a/greenstool.htm

"After I went to the bathroom today I was surprised to discover my stool (poop) was green! What can cause this? Should I be worried? Should I call the doctor?"

If you have the occasional green stool -- don't panic! Most likely it is normal, and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Think about the foods you ate, any vitamins or supplements you took -- even if they're not green in color.

There can be many reasons why stool appears to be green. The first and most obvious reason is eating green foods. Green, leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll, which could be coloring the stool green. Foods with dark purple coloring like Kool-Aid, popsicles, and gelatin (Jell-O) can also result in rainbow-colored stools. Iron supplements or even foods that are rich in iron can also give stool a green tinge.

Stool can also appear green for physical reasons, and not just from what you've been eating. We think of a healthy stool as being brown. Bile that is secreted in the first part of the small intestine is actually green. As stool is digested and passed through the large intestine it is turned into a darker brown color.

If stool is still green by the time it is excreted, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast to be changed in color. This is often called "rapid transit" or "decreased colonic transit time", and diarrhea that is green in color could be the result.

In breast-fed infants, green stool is a normal occurrence, especially right after delivery. In older children, the reason could be food-related as described above, or even from non-food items. Eating or sucking on colored non-food items, such as crayons, might also turn stools different colors.

If green stool continues, or your bowel habits have changed in other ways, you may want to call your doctor. This is especially true if you are experiencing diarrhea, which can be an indication of other problems or could lead to dehydration.

Basically this ^^ If you get worried or start having other issues? See your doc.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking Kool aid or cystal light etc etc - that turns your poop green!
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    have you been eating green eggs and ham? :bigsmile: j/k... if you eat lots of green veggies your poo will be a lovely shade of green or curry! Think about the foods you have been eating and it might be an indicator of why your poop is the color it is.
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    no any the only thing i really ate green was spinich.. well my diary is open.. and ive had diarea
  • Bikini27
    Options
    Have you been taking any supplements/vitamins?
    If not, and your diet isn't full of greens, you need to talk to your doc or head over to urgent care.
  • Dahavol
    Options

If stool is still green by the time it is excreted, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast to be changed in color. This is often called "rapid transit" or "decreased colonic transit time", and diarrhea that is green in color could be the result.

Probably this especially with the other symptom. If it continues for an extended period of time, probably time to go talk to a doc. Otherwise it could just be something that didn't agree with you and the body shot it out. Good article by the way.
  • Bikini27
    Options

Probably this especially with the other symptom. If it continues for an extended period of time, probably time to go talk to a doc. Otherwise it could just be something that didn't agree with you and the body shot it out. Good article by the way.

:flowerforyou:
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Completely normal!
  • soomiles
    Options
    Spinach will make your poo and your wee green too but that perfectly normal and Spinach is SOOOO good for you too.

Keep up the good work xx
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 3-4 cups + of spinach every morning and mine is the same. (Yay for comparing poop on a Friday morning)
    My doc said it's normal :)