oatmeal...yuck

Options
ok so dr told me to try oatmeal(plain) and had the nerve to say use water! haha! i put 1/2 cup 1% milk and 1/2 cup silk
sprinkled 1 small packet of splenda and yuck! def not something i could eat regularly! so sprnkled a little cinnamon, not too mcuh better
feel like im eating soggy cardboard! no flavor
ok so dont tell me to put fruit either b/c all i have is carrots in my apt(ate banana yesterday for lunch) then realized it had 13 grams of sugar! wow!
any ideas?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it. If you don't like it and know you will never like it, why try to force it down your throat.

Why did he suggest oatmeal? What is that in reference to?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why did he suggest oatmeal? What is that in reference to?

That's my question too. If it is the fiber aspect, there are many other things besides oatmeal that will do the trick.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I could ever eat oatmeal for years.. It just reminded me of paste.. I kind of like it now - I make mine not so thick.. I also add an apple , a little brown sugar & sometimes some walnuts.. But if you don't like it after tweaking it - and if it is for the fiber just find your fiber source in something else.. Good luck..
  • Julie_9
    Julie_9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have tried every kind of oatmeal~ instant, cook on the stove, plain every possible flavor and I think they all taste horrible. if you don't like it don't force yourself to eat it. I do however love cream of wheat, it may not have all the 'great things' drs tell you about oatmeal but it is still fairly good for you with low calories and fills you up. The plain (red box) is terrible though. Try the instant packets of cinnabon, maple brown sugar or strawberries and cream. The apple one is pretty good too.
  • acdchick
    Options
    I hate goatmeal! I never even made my kids eat it as babies. Don't let them trick you!
  • alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    b/c i was cereal and need to lower my cholesterol and blood sugar and she suggested it
  • 2wiceOver
    Options
    I can't stand oatmeal. Even the sweetened packages from Quaker taste like paste + cardboard.

Cream of Wheat?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    b/c i was cereal and need to lower my cholesterol and blood sugar and she suggested it

Look for high fiber foods then. It does not have to be oatmeal!
  • lilmiss_sunshine
    Options
    Splenda? = NO! Yuck....

There are some flavored sugar-free little sodium oatmeals out there that are pretty good.

Make sure you're not adding tooooo much water so it's soggy and when all else fails add nuts or fruit!!! I love oatmeal!

Steel cut oats?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Try toasting it in the oven prior to cooking to see if that improves the flavor. You can also make a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon to add to it. Also, at walmart in the coffee section they sell some flavored sugar-free cofee syrups that might be worth a try.

A second option is the flavored instant oatmeals. yeah, it's got some stuff added to it, There is a Quaker line of instant oatmeal called "weight control" that has added whey powder for some extra protein it. I bought some on BOGO and thought It wasn't too bad.

If all fails, the stuff in oatmeal that supposedly is good for your cholesterol is soluble fiber, you can get that from eating an apple or plain cheerios....
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I put peanut butter in mine
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    try either thick cut oats instead of the instant rolled oats or steel cut oats.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    Try REAL porridge

Much nicer!!!!

http://www.scottsporage.co.uk/home.php
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal with coconut milk and add blueberries. Cooked alone with coconut milk and a tiny bit of sugar is awesome.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try checking out Chocolatecoveredkatie.com

She has a lot of good oatmeal recipes! I hate plain oatmeal, but she gives a few tips to dress it up a bit.

Also, she's vegan, so that's a plus.

I'm not vegan, so I make a few adjustments to fit what I have in the house, but I love her recipes!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Also, I wouldn't worry about the sugars from fruit. You should try to cut down on the added sugars. Don't ever feel bad about sugar from raw food!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It took me years to like oatmeal and I only started eating it in my 30's. Of course I started w/ the sugar filled packets which probably helped me gain weight. Any who think about what fruit flavors you enjoy example I add blueberries and honey (frozen fruit), banana and walnuts or strawberries and honey, etc
  • tania1782
    Options
    I put peanut butter in mine

Yes! Peanut butter....extra crunchy is even better. Sometimes I put almonds and any fruit...add things to make it taste better.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal so much that I can't even fathom not liking it. Then again, I've been eating it my entire life -- with milk and sugar. Quality oats make a difference. I've tried the generic/store brands, and they're not nearly as nice. BUT, if you don't like them, there's not point in forcing yourself to eat them. Spend your calories on food you enjoy. I hear that Cheerios are a good alternative to oatmeal.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal because of the texture. Today I mixed it dry with yogurt and it wasn't too bad!