How long did it take you to get good at Zumba???

Options
2»

Replies

• yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to try zumba but just don't want to pay for classes. I was thinking of getting it for the xbox connect but a lot of reviews were bad when I looked online. What do u think? Is it worth the money? I am doing dance central here and there which picks up my moves great. But zumba is still in my mind...
  • ddamore
    ddamore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I took a Zumba class lastnight at my gym. First, is it normal for the instructor not to talk? She just did the next move and we all followed along (or fumbled along). i was so lost and when I couldn't see her i felt paniced because i wasn't sure if anyone around me knew what they were doing either. I was definately stiff and couldn't get my groove on. I wish I could understand the moves a little better then i think i'd go all out and really enjoy it. I definately think my stamina is up there unfortunately i don't think I burned a lot of calories last night because I was stumbling around so much.. but i did work up a sweat so I must have done something right. I hope it really gets better!

I might try another instructor next week to see if that makes a difference. But i definately like the class setting.. the music was pumping and there was energy in there with all the peeps!
  • rlwagner1985
    Options
    It's actually in the instructor training that we get told not to talk. We did an exercise where we were to verbally instruct our students to do the moves, and another exercise where the students mirror what we do (like in the games or DVDs), and the verbal instruction on average took 3 times longer to do than to physically show you what to do. Typically you want to give yourself at least 5 classes before you start to feel comfortable with the moves. I'm still a beginner and I fumble like crazy and am still moving stiff through the movements, but the point of Zumba is to dance and enjoy yourself :smile:
  • Jodi_Hiking4Fitness
    Options
    I just ordered the Zumba DVD set from Amazon. Today was my first day doing it. I played the instructional dvd so I could watch the course from behind. MEGA helpful! Good thinking to film it that way. Then I went on and "tried" the activate dvd. Fumbled all over the place, but more importantly, sweat up a storm.

I am also taking classes too. I just wanted to learn faster, so I don't keep bumping into other students.