Whats scales do you use gym or home??

Options
Ok so I know that your weight fluctuates during the week and you should only weigh yourself once a week but... do you trust your scales at home?

So yesterday i weighed 143 (lost a pound yay!) at home :smile:

This morning I thought I'd compare my electronic home scales to the old fashion battery-free ones down the gym..... my home scales said I put a pound on since yesterday when I weight myself as soon as I got up - the gym ones at 1pm today....that I weighed 141lbs!!

So not so much about the difference in my weight between today and yesterday as I know the score - more that my home ones are saying i'm 3lb heavier than the gym ones? has anyone else found this?

Not sure what to trust now! I don't know whether to stick with my home ones as motivation because they are saying i'm heavier? i'm worried that if i'm not tracking my weight properly I'm going to mess up my allowances and my HRM wont be showing the right calories burn! :-/

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I always weigh at home at the same time of day, same day of the week and wearing, basically, the same thing.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find that every scale is slightly different, so I just make sure to always use the same scale. That way, I know if there has been progress. Also, my hope is that when I get to goal, 3 pounds won't be a big deal to me! I also always weigh myself first thing in the morning (again for consistency).
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Put a dumbell or something else you know the weight of on the scale and see which is more accurate:)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i weigh at home. However, my fitness instructor does my weight and measurements once a month. Its different than my at home weight, but i dont really pay any attention to that weight, other than to see month to month loss. I weigh less at home but also weigh in the am, barely dressed.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My official weight comes from a reliable scale at the weight loss facility. My measurements I use to understand how my body changes based on food and activity is a home scale that isn't that reliable however it gives me a ballpark estimate. I do weigh myself more often than once a week, but more to understand how I'm changing based on food and activity. It's interesting how my weight can swing quite a bit over a day or two but alot relates to hydration and quality of sleep for me.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    home, my "gym" doesnt have a scale.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I use both, but the weight I report for my weigh-in comes from the gym scale. The home scale is only accurate within 5 lbs. When the home scale looks like I've lost weight, I check-in at the gym (The scale is in a building I don't go to regularly) :P
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    Just be consistent. If you weigh at home first thing in the morning it wont matter if its a pound or 2 off. You dont need to be spot on accurate. If you lose 5 lbs it will still show up on your scale. If you start introducing weights from different scales then that will add to the different numbers and keep you second guessing things.
  • davekarie
    Options
    You think a 3 lb difference is frustrating..? Try this..
    My gym has 2 scales (both electronic) and they've show up to a 12 lb difference between them!

AND in just comparing each one to itself over the last week,
    1 shows I lost 5 lb - the other says 1 lb

YAY Frustration!!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Just pick a scale to go by and stick with it. I don't have a gym membership, so I use a home scale. The scale I started out using showed my weight about 3 lbs less than my new scale. When I switched scales, I just waited until my weight dropped enough so the new scale "caught up," and I continued logging weight from there. That just means I've lost about 40 lbs, rather than the 37 my ticker registers. That's not a problem for me. What's important is how I look and how my clothes fit.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The gym ones (old fashion doctor style one) Is the most accurate you can get. That being said I use both cuz Im addicted to weighing in :-)
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    Put a dumbell or something else you know the weight of on the scale and see which is more accurate:)

brilliant Idea!
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I use both scales and I weigh myself at pretty much the same time each Friday morning. The scale at home said 206.6, the scale at the gym said 206. So its pretty much the same.
  • my2boiz
    Options
    I weigh myself way to often as it is, but the one that i rely on is the one at home because thats the one I started with. :)
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!

I'm trying so hard so at the moment the difference means a lot i'm really struggling not to give up! I think I will chose a day and time and use the gym scales (maybe the home ones can be a detterant at the weekends!!)