My body is betraying me!

Options
CaGinger
CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
I am craving grease, fat, and all those things that I haven't eaten in a bit. How do you get through your body telling you to stuff your face with Pizza chips and fries? :grumble:

Anyone have some good tips? I just ate my snack of an apple and fat free yogurt so I am NOT hungry whatsoever... :noway:

Replies

• CMS1130
    CMS1130 Posts: 9
    Options
    try chewing gum, it keeps your mouth busy. It helps me when I am fighting cravings.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Why are you craving poisons for your body? Break down the components of what you are craving and ask yourself honestly if it will benefit your weight loss in any way. Drink lots of water and get busy with something else in your life so you aren't worried about eating crap.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Typically cravings are the body's way of telling you it needs something. It might not need pizza and such, but you may not be giving it enough fat (good fat).

Something to consider...fat free diets are not healthy. Try eating some healthy fats (peanut butter, salmon, etc..)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Typically cravings are the body's way of telling you it needs something. It might not need pizza and such, but you may not be giving it enough fat (good fat).

Something to consider...fat free diets are not healthy. Try eating some healthy fats (peanut butter, salmon, etc..)

true.......I was DYING For fattening things when I was on veggies and chicken......added some olive oil to my day and BAM craving gone!!

:drinker:
  • CaGinger
    Options
    I eat the recommended amount of fat a day so I don't know if I should add a bit more... I get my fat from peanut butter, salmon, and a bit of EVOO when I cook. I wonder if its mental over a need? :grumble:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Well then, if it's not a need its probably a mental thing.

Quick story, I was out to dinner with my wife and kid. I eat pretty super healthy now, but I used to not so much. I sat next to my 2 year old son and we ordered him a kids pizza while I had grilled salmon and vegetables. When I saw that pizza it looked SOOOO good. I was craving it the whole time I was eating my nice healthy dinner.

What did I do? I had a tiny tiny tiny piece (like thumb nail size) of pizza, got the flavor in, then thought about what eating that whole thing would do for my body (not a lot, except grow it)

My brain got the taste it was looking for, and my body didn't suffer from it.

Remember that most overweight people that got that way from eating get massive amounts of food get pleasure from eating. The area of the brain that perceives pleasure will continue to seek the stimuli that activate it. Give that pleasure zone some activity every so often until you get it replaced with different pleasure generating stimuli and you will be okay.

I hope that made at least some sense. Sometimes things don't come out as clear as they seem in the mind.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I certainly think that you should eat healthy fats in your diet. This may mean peanut butter as said earlier, or avacados are a great source of health fat. They are tasty too! Just substitute the chip/burger/fries cravings with healthier cheese/avacado/milk type fats:) It's not easy to change your habits but totally worth it when you do! As long as you keep within your daily calorie/fat/protein goals you should be fine! Fight the urge to eat that nasty bad food though! You can do it!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • skearns
    skearns Posts: 16
    Options
    I find this approach works for me. When we go out, my hubby will order fries and if I just have one or maybe two, I'm a happy camper and am perfectly satisfied with my salad.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    have some sort of goal before you....if you can visualize it, it helps....Like maybe some smaller sized clothes or something.... That helps me.... I seem to do that on Fridays....SEriously, I know how strange that sounds, but when Friday rolls around, I want to just pig out on junk. I have to stop myself and say, "NO!!, I have a goal. I will never reach it if I pig out on this junk." Jillian gave this advice this morning....when you reach for food, ask yourself why....are you hungry? This will help you identify your reason for eating.... If your mind just really wants to win ....take yourself out of the situation and go for a walk or something....
    You can do it!!! I know you can, because I am making little steps to success. AND believe me...IF I CAN DO IT....ANYONE CAN!!!! :drinker:
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I probably have an unpopular opionion but If you are eating well the rest of the time, why not have a little something?
    I KNOW that every month 2 days before my period starts i'm going to want greasy food, I used to try and have other things but it didn't work, I ended up eating the healthy alternative AND whatever it is I was craving so badly. This happened to me a couple of days ago, I wanted crap really bad, so I ate crap, enjoyed it, my period came 2 days later and I don't have any interest in junk anymore. Of course this wouldn't work if you want junk all the time, but if you have an occasional craving, it wouldn't hurt to satisfy it. (btw after my junk fest, I'm still down a bit for the week)
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    Baked french fries!!!
    baked chicken instead of deep fried.
    grill ground turkey burger
    popcorn.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    good grief...take ONE day off and eat what you want!!! You will not gain back weight in one day. then you will feel better (or worse) and ready to go back to good the next day...

Cindy
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I crave fries (which I love, love) I bake the frozen sweet potato fries - they satisfy my craving and are much better for you!
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    good grief...take ONE day off and eat what you want!!! You will not gain back weight in one day. then you will feel better (or worse) and ready to go back to good the next day...

Cindy

I don't think that she was asking our permission to go ahead and give into the cravings. She's not even hungry. She was looking for tips to get stay strong, I think (maybe I'm wrong?).
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It looks like some other people have already given you good suggestions. I crave chocolate quite often. Lately, I just try to get my mind off of it, have a drink of water, and move on. I think it gets easier with time. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • CaGinger
    Options
    Thanks all. It was just a rough day for me looking back. I wanted the satisfaction from eating that I wasn't getting in other areas. I want to change WHY I eat so I was mainly looking for help with the mental aspect of this.

I get plenty of healthy fat from my foods and I never eat too far under or over the recommended amount. :smile: I will try to picture that goal in my head and that will help I am sure.

It just really sucks when a mental addiction becomes a physical need. :grumble:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. It was just a rough day for me looking back. I wanted the satisfaction from eating that I wasn't getting in other areas. I want to change WHY I eat so I was mainly looking for help with the mental aspect of this.

I get plenty of healthy fat from my foods and I never eat too far under or over the recommended amount. :smile: I will try to picture that goal in my head and that will help I am sure.

It just really sucks when a mental addiction becomes a physical need. :grumble:

Oh they are so intertwined it is amazing. Like at work-I have always had food at my desk and not good food. I found my triggers and now I use a stretch band instead of food. When I reach for food (which is now almonds and triscuits with peanutbutter) I exercise instead. Now after 3 weeks I reach for the band only.

I eat when I am hungry and stretch when I am stressed.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I agree with this. It could be any kind of nutrient your body is craving because it feels is lacking in it.
    Just to give you an example... my big thing I watch is sodium and most days I am fairly low.. around 1400 or less. Yesterday I burnt a ridiculous amount of calories and kept eating starches most of the day because I kept getting a headache and I thought it might have been due to the low amount of carbs compared to exercise. Someone mentioned maybe I needed salt since the starch was only helping for a short period but they were things like bread, crackers and granola bars which do have a fair amount of sodium in them. So I had a few pieces of lunchmeat which is quite a bit higher in sodium and my headache disappeared almost instantly.
    If you pay attention to the craving you can usually figure out what it is your body is demanding.