What are the benefits (if any) of working out first thing in

Options
I would like more information from those who workout on an empty stomach after an 8-12 hour overnight fast. What are the benefits or non-benefits that are associated with this? The reason I ask is because I used to do crossfit at 5am in the morning and I would usually do it fasted because I would feel nauseated during those intense workouts if I ate something prior.

Now my routine is just a regular lifting 3 days a week routine with some cardio mixed in. If you post your opinion on here could you please back it up with a link to some literature. I'm trying to shy away from the broscience.

Replies

• MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I know if I ever work out on an empty stomach, or wake up and go to the gym without even grabbing a banana I always feel faint and dizzy, so always at least grab a banana or something before working out, nothing to heavy to weigh me down, but something for my body to use as fuel.

here is an article that supports that: http://www.rodale.com/eating-exercise

Hope that helps.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the benefits of it, but I also do not eat before going to the gym in the morning (I go three mornings a week and take a 45 min. Spin class). I find (like you) that if I eat before I go to the gym I get sick to my stomach during the work out.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I was told that your body is stressed when it has been fasting for a while and that this is not a good time to stress it more. You are best to eat something light before hand to "break the fast" . I like a half a banana myself.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I've read that when you work out in the morning, it directly burns fat. When you work out in the afternoon, it burns the sugar that turns into fat...
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week in the morning. I get up go to the gym do 40 cardio and 30 weights or a 45 minute Zumba class. I never eat before. I don't notice anything but I am STARVING afterwards!
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have no literature... mine is just a realization that if I don't get my butt out of bed and do it first thing I know I won't do it later. Queen of excuses here.

I'm on team get-sick-if-I-eat-before-a-workout, too. Usually just water before and during, then I'll have a tasty breakfast after I'm done. I have to wait at least an hour after I eat to work out-- normally I roll out of bed, change, brush my teeth, and head to the gym. Waking up an extra hour early would be torture!
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I never eat before. I don't notice anything but I am STARVING afterwards!

Same here! I once ate before and felt queasy.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Some people can't work out unless they have eaten in the last few hours. The advantage of working out on an empty stomach is that you are burning fat, not the calories that you ingested in the last four or five hours. It takes up to eight hours for food to go through the digestive system, so after eight hours of not eating, you gain the benefit of burning fat, not the calories that you have eaten.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/510196-the-advantages-of-exercising-on-an-empty-stomach/

In short, it is up to the individual to decide whether they want to exercise on an empty stomach. If you don't eat, you burn more fat and decrease the chance for insulin resistance, but your exercise period will be shortened. If you eat, you can go the extra mile, but you may increase the risk for insulin resistance.

The choice is yours.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Working out, day/night, empty/full, it's all good.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I would think mainly the benefit would be getting it done and out of the way.

Sometime it depends on the workout and the person. My friend runs on an empty stomach because otherwise she feels sick to her stomach. I perform better if I eat a little something 30 minute or so before any workout. I used to run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach only because I had to already wake up earlier to do that, I didn't want to wake up even earlier to eat then let my stomach settle.

I know that there are theories on either side of whether its more "fat burning" or what not but I feel it has more to do with the best time you can fit it into your day and what part of the day you will put more into it.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    When I talked to a trainer about this he said that if you work out an hour before you have breakfast then it will burn the calories that you have already stored instead of using the food that you just ate as fuel to burn off.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The 'it burns more fat' theory is a myth.

The only reason I can think of is insulin sensitivity so when you have the post work out protein and carbs in a shake it going to be more effective.

I've been lifting weights at 7am on an empty stomach for about the past year, having only a coffee with cinnamon and some omega3 capsules;

However I am thinking about going back to something light pre workout as my workouts are now way more intense and want to see what the results are;

Either way is fine imho.

Men also have higher testosterone in the morning too! :wink:
  • 2wiceOver
    Options
    The only time I can consistently go to the gym is 4am - 6am so for me it isn't really a choice. I couldn't imagine eating breakfast and then going to the gym. All that food and fluid sloshing around in my stomach.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The craziest thing to say is "if you work out on an empty stomach you are burning fat." Its so much easier for your body to break down muscle and use it as energy if you are working hard. Anything that keeps your heart rate elevated significantly (a good weight lifting sesh, fast running or any type of relatively intensive cardio) will use MUSCLE and then FAT for energy!!!

This is why it is recommended to eat prior to working out because your body will burn the glycogen stores for energy and the negative calorie deficit will yield you fat loss!

If I were to do any Fasted Cardio I would recommend a drink of BCAA's for the DURING period or at the very least keep it to a LISS (low intensity steady state.)
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink a whey protein shake to give my body energy. I work out almost as early. Whey is light and digests quickly. 15 minutes and you can be in the gym pumping iron and hitting the mill!
  • AdamB311
    AdamB311 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a full on workout session
    But I like to get a good half hour run in before breakfast, probably more for time than actual health benefits
    Means that I've got it done and any excuses I have to not workout after lecturers are not so much irrelevant, but they don't impact my workouts so much because at least I've had that done
    Not even close to an expert on such things, but this article says that it targets burning of fat stores (http://www.mademan.com/mm/5-benefits-running-morning.html)
    whether thats true or not, i'm sure other people on the site can tell you
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning because if I don't, I end up getting busy and forget to get it done. Plus that way I can workout, then shower and start the day vs. shower, start the day, work out, shower, finish day...but that's just me. I don't eat before a workout for two reasons...1, I am never hungry in the mornings, but after a workout I have a great nutritional protein shake. 2. If I do eat...even just a banana or something, I end up puking in the middle of the workout.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The craziest thing to say is "if you work out on an empty stomach you are burning fat." Its so much easier for your body to break down muscle and use it as energy if you are working hard. Anything that keeps your heart rate elevated significantly (a good weight lifting sesh, fast running or any type of relatively intensive cardio) will use MUSCLE and then FAT for energy!!!

This is why it is recommended to eat prior to working out because your body will burn the glycogen stores for energy and the negative calorie deficit will yield you fat loss!

If I were to do any Fasted Cardio I would recommend a drink of BCAA's for the DURING period or at the very least keep it to a LISS (low intensity steady state.)

Whether you burn fat or muscle depends on the type of exercise you are doing. Low intensity exercise, such as walking, light jogging, light biking, etc., will burn fat. High intensity exercise will burn fat and muscle. I do a two mile walk on my treadmill (incline at maximum) every morning on an empty stomach at about 3.8 mph with no problems. In the afternoon, I do a two mile walk on my treadmill (incline at maximum) as interval training, going from 3.6 mph to 4.5 mph, up and down, up and down. Would I do interval training like that in the morning? I would be crazy to try, plus it would burn muscle which I don't want to lose.

So, whether it burns fat or muscle really depends on what type of exercise you do. I also don't lift without having eaten.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/404576-how-does-your-body-burn-fat/
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have no literature... mine is just a realization that if I don't get my butt out of bed and do it first thing I know I won't do it later. Queen of excuses here.

Same here. I am not big on sleeping in (not that I won't do it, just that it makes me feel crappy) generally, but working out to begin my day has been one of the main reasons I've been able to be relatively consistent. It is just clearly what's right for my body and personality. Anything I've read to support a certain time of day as being more beneficial for working out has been inconclusive. I do find that working out late enough in the evening keeps me from getting enough sleep [see: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01063 ], but some people prefer it. As for food, I eat a little something so I have energy but not enough to feel nauseated-- a banana, packet of oatmeal, or the "Breakfast-On-The-Go" packs of nuts & granola from Emerald.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is what keeps you coming back.