What am I doing wrong?

Options
When I work out and lift weights I really push myself, doing about 3 sets of 20 at a weight heavy enough to feel my muscles shake and barely able to do that last 3 or so. I can't feel it the next day? Am I doing something wrong? (I stretch at night before bed, or in my office during the day)

Replies

• cooter2533
    Options
    How many exercises/sets per muscle group are you doing? Also is recommend do more weight and less reps. For instance 3 sets of 6-10 reps at a weight were you are doing it to failure, for large muscle groups back/shoulders/chest/legs you need to do atleast 3 exercises for that muscle group and 2-4 exercises for biceps and triceps.
  • DistilledVixen
    DistilledVixen Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am doing 3 sets per muscle group, alternating muscle groups daily, but I stick to the 3 sets of 20 on every group, ranging in weight. I will give the heavier weight and less reps a try and hopefully I feel the burn the next day. Thanks so much for the advice,
  • DistilledVixen
    Options
    Hey just wanted to update you....I took your advice and man do I feel the burn during and the next day. Thanks so much, you were alot of help!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    When I work out and lift weights I really push myself, doing about 3 sets of 20 at a weight heavy enough to feel my muscles shake and barely able to do that last 3 or so. I can't feel it the next day? Am I doing something wrong? (I stretch at night before bed, or in my office during the day)
    You're working on muscle endurance which usually doesn't overload the muscles as much as using weight to be able to do only 8 reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mattjolsen
    Options
    Soreness is not an indicator of a good workout. Soreness generally results from using muscles you don't normally use or in a way they're not normally do. Obviously, you can only keep this up if you change your routine pretty much every workout.

Also, like was mentioned above me, your 20-rep sets don't strain the muscles to the point that they're damaged and need much repair. They're more blood-engorged than shredded.

Increase the weight, lower the reps, and make sure your form is good and your nutrition is in check and you'll be good. Only change your routine every month or so.
  • DistilledVixen
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice, I need all the help I can get. Thank you all!
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights, lower reps.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness(DOMS) is not the "best" indicator.

It just means that you've built a tolerance to the exercise your performing. Doing it again, just means you maintain that. You could try doing this only once a week, for maintenance. Alternating weight reps EX: 8, 6, 6 is common. You could just try doing something unconventional to your normal routine. Maybe put down the weights for a week and dedicate to only do body weight exercises like planks, supermans, burpees, wind sprints, pushups, air bike, etc. Or any combination of those.

There are some great videos on Youtube that can give you some inspiration.

I seen one once that was wind sprints for 40 m, then burpees followed by another 40m and pushups then another 40m and airbike. Be creative, just keep yourself guessing.