A parenting question...what would you do?

Options
Both of my children have chicken pox. My 6yr old daughter seems generally fine but very spotty as I would expect but my son is nearly 11yrs old and this week he has had to start using a ventolin inhaler and antihistamines because he really has a very severe case (when we went to the doctors, other nurses were called in so that they could see what severe chicken pox looks like..great!)

He has the blisters everywhere and as well as not being able to get comfortable he is having real trouble eating and swallowing. After another night of barely any sleep and trying to persuade him to eat soft foods but failing I am seriously considering just giving up on getting him to eat solid foods and making up some USN diet fuel protein shake I was given by my sister (shes pregnant so cant use it and she thought it would help me as I hate eating breakfasts)

What would you do in my position? I know he needs something, he is sipping water but he is so pale and weak and just crying all the time :(

Replies

• Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I had the chicken pox my mom made me chicken noodle soup. It's a cure-all.
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am not sure a out the shake be ause I reay dont know much about it but I would start with warm broth, jello, Popsicles, ice cream. Anything that is easy to swallow. This is what I do with my daughter who is prone to strep throat. Good luck and hope he feels better soon!
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to say that I hope your children feel better soon.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    chicken broth. My mommy used to make me this when I was a kid and was sick. Once I was sick for 2 weeks, lost 12 lbs, and the first thing I was able to eat was the meat out of a subway sandwich. Just ask what he wants to eat all the time, and tell him he must drink the broth. It's not a lot, but it's something
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Maybe do ensure or something like that instead of a protein shake. Warm broth will help too.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I took the chicken pos when I was 24.

Took it very bad, had them on my eye balls, tongue, throat and just about every inch of my body and I mean every inch

It was not fun and I looked like an extra from start trek, was also 2 months before I got married :-/

Soup etc would be best but he will get better with 48 hours so if he doesn't eat much its not the end of the world as long as he is taken on fluids and plenty of

I'm a mother of 2 and I know what its like when they won't eat

Hope they are both well soon x
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I would call your doctors office and talk to a nurse. They would probably have better ideas.

I feel for you, sick kids are so hard.
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would give him anything he asks for tbh. If he can manage to eat something he wants it's better than nothing at all. Hope he's better soon.
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    as long as he is drinking fluids he should be fine. he may not feel like eating. how did they get chicken pox? they do 2 vaccines for it now and any time i've seen kids with chicken pox its a very mild case because of the vaccien. if his mouth and throat are that sore you could ask the dr to call in magic mouth wash. it has benadryl, maalox, and viscous lidocain in it and it can help with the pain. hope they feel better.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    He's going to have a rough time with solid fuels. I'd stick with popsicles, 7up, chicken noodle soup (well, really just chicken broth). Keeping him hydrated is the most important thing.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pediasure and Pedialyte. I would push these two things on him all day. The Pediasure has protein and other things that would be the same as a meal replacement for kids that don't typically eat healthy. It comes in really great flavors and tastes REALLY good. If you get them really cold, it can taste like a milk shake. Pedialyte helps restore electrolytes. It doesn't taste the best but does come in popsicle form. Don't wait on something like this, you don't want him in the hospital and them feeding him thru a tube or IV. Good luck and hope he feels better soon.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love the oatmeal bath by Aveeno. :)

And yes, I'm the poor sap that got Chicken Pox when I was 28!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You could make him a fruit smoothie rather than using packaged ones if that is making you nervous. I have a "Green Monster" smoothie nearly every morning and my 3-yr old almost always has to have some. It's simple and all healthy things. I usually do the following..

1 banana
    1/2 cup fruit (usually blueberries- it's my favorite)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 yogurt
    a bunch of spinach
    a glass of ice with a little bit of water to thin it out

It's quite yummy. You could leave out the spinach if it would bother your son, but truthfully when you use blueberries, the shake is purple anyhow.

I realize you might not have all this stuff just lying around, but fruit smoothies are easy to put together and you can change them easily. The only think I usually make sure to have is the banana, but that's just bc I like them.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I would call the pediatrican to check for signs of dehydration. Is he taking anything for the pain? Also, Ibupropin (sp?) would take the swelling down and then he might be more comfortable swallowing.

In the meantime, I think some popsicles might be the most soothing. For nutrition, grab some made with fruit and yogurt. Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    as long as he is drinking fluids he should be fine. he may not feel like eating. how did they get chicken pox? they do 2 vaccines for it now and any time i've seen kids with chicken pox its a very mild case because of the vaccien. if his mouth and throat are that sore you could ask the dr to call in magic mouth wash. it has benadryl, maalox, and viscous lidocain in it and it can help with the pain. hope they feel better.

some parents (like myself) don't vaccinate for chicken pox.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sandard rule in our house if you are sick is eat what appeals to you. Get back to normal once you are well. I would be giving him the shakes -- if he likes them, sherbert, ginger ale, straight broth (chicken or beef) what ever he will take and keep down.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If it's hurting him to swallow, I would go with whatever he can eat. I know you've already been to the doctor, but is the having issues swallowing new? If so, please call them about that, as that can be serious.

I'm sure you are already aware and it sounds like you already have meds for that issue.. I just had to say it. My youngest was recently diagnosed with tree nut allergy that affects his throat, so I'm just on super high alert when anyone complains of hurting when trying to swallow.

Hope he's feeling better soon.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hes ill, hes still a kid...icecream, jelly, ice pops, milk shake and as someone else said the cure all chicken noodle soup.

Kids are pretty resilient and a few days of junk isnt going to harm him unless there are other health concerns, calories in are more important than macros right now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even force the issue. He won't starve - when kid's are sick, they simply don't eat much. If you can get him to eat the other things suggested (broth, ice cream, etc.) he'll be OK. I wouldn't think an ensure would hurt if he likes it! When I had some severe throat issues and surgery I actually found things like mashed potatoes with a little bit more substance easier to swallow. May be worth a try?

Poor kids. There's just nothing worse than seeing them suffer. Did you opt against the Chicken Pox Vaccine?
  • ladyhawkgg
    Options
    Try foods that he likes Ice cream, pudding, It doesn't matter with the nutrition at this point. Just get something into him will help. If he's a hardy kid then try noodles and call them worms or something to make it fun. Add some beef broth and call it dirt soup. Longs he has something. If he does not care for it when he well then he won't eat it when he's sick. Hope they feel better soon.