Fast Food Horror Stories

Options
I'm mainly a lurker as you can probably tell from my post count. I figured it'd be difficult to keep up with topics and decent response times only having the use of my smartphone. That being said, I do visit the forums daily and am always incredibly inspired by all of you!

This topic is NOT for the weak stomached!

I personally find that one of the only things that will keep me away from fastfood is a personal horror story. I'm not talking urban legend rats/fetuses/roach eggs implanted in mouth. I'm talking bugs, hair, fingernails, etc. I understand you take a risk of any of these things happening in any sort of establishment. Just because one McDonalds has a roach problem doesn't mean they all do. However, nothing has curbed my cravings faster than experiencing a stomach turning fast food "horror" story first hand and I would love for anyone with a story to share. You don't even have to name drop.

My experiences and the effects they had:

Bit in to a hair baked in to the cheese on my dominos pizza years ago - to this day I never, ever eat cheese on my pizza no matter where it's from. I pick/scrape every bit of cheese off and if the toppings are vegetable I'll put them back on. I never tell people WHY I do it and usually someone else takes the extra cheese.. But I still get looks every time.

My family was eating chinese food and my father had a big thing of wonton soup. At the bottom was a big white maggot. I still eat chinese (vegetables) but will never, ever order soup.

My family was eating Taco Bell when my brother found a dirty bolt in his salad. No one else seemed bothered by it and my father said it "probably just came off of one of the machines". It took about 5 years for me to eat there again and to this day I won't go near a salad from there.

And last and most recently... The day before New Years Eve I thought I was, like many others, going to start an.awesome new, fast food free diet so I went to splurge at McDonalds. I found a 3" long black hair in the whipped cream of my mocha frappe. I have not and will not eat at McDonalds probably ever again.

Yes, I understand situations like this may be completely isolated but the fact is they've helped motivate me to steer clear of some places and have improved my eating habits in the long run. I don't go around telling my grandparents they can't enjoy McDonalds once in a while because of the one time I found a hair... But it certainly keeps me in check!

I think I've also decided any fast food I do eat is going to be done so with a fork and knife and dissected thoroughly before consumption haha.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone that contributes :)

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ugh gross, especially the magot...
    My experiences: Funnily enough, Dominos pizza too. There was a thik, black & curly hair in it. It was not from a head, that much was obvious. Haven't been there since.
    Also, Morissons cafe (UK). I found a 2 inch catepillar in my peas. That was the end to my bangers and mash there.

I find hairs frequently, but dont take it too seriously. I wont eat that plate of food but I will order another. It happens at least once a month, in different places.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not fast food... but I once found a beetle in a tub of flora margarine... they sent me a nice letter and a voucher... on reflection i probably should have sued their *kitten*... i'm vegetarian! :laugh:
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I refuse to buy rolls of hamburger. I bought a roll of the 93/7 because it was on sale and found literally like 5 long black hairs twisted in and out of the whole roll. They had to have been 8 inches each. Someone almost had to do that on purpose... Bleh just thinking about it grosses me out!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bleeurgh..

I wish I hadn't read all that whilst eating my afternoon snack of raspberries and yogurt... ( i have fears of finding bugs in my fruit as it is!).

Ah well - at least it has putyou off eating at fast food places. None of it is good for you anyhow. :)

x
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    I used to be a waitress and bartender and I've worked in various kinds of restaurants from fast food chicken place to upscale hoity toity. I tend to be very watchful and I notice currently how lax employers are about their staff's hygiene. I've seen staff handle raw and cooked food without gloves, I've seen girls(and guys) with hair hanging out all over the place and over the food they are working with. When I worked around food, my bosses were usually pretty strict about the girls having their hair pinned back and in ponytails or buns to keep it under control.

My biggest pet peeve is having servers that wear tank tops. I absolutely do NOT want someone's bare armpits around my food. I do not need your Secret, Degree or Old Spice deodorant flaking off, along with your sweat, into my food or onto that menu that was tucked under your arm that you are now handing me to look at. Eeeewwwwwww........
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've seen little (still gross though) things here and there such as an ant climbing out of a box that my calzone I had bought was sitting in, an orange piece of coarse hair in my brother's hamburger, a whole pizza from Dominos that had obviously fallen on the floor and then tried to be put back together (really Dominos? I'm not going to notice the pieces don't sit normally and the cheese is all over the place?).

My friend ordered a pizza from one of the major chains one time and had a disagreement over the phone about the final total he was supposed to pay. When the pizza was delivered and he took a bite he tasted dish soap. After some investigating and some operating on the pizza he found that they had doused the pizza with dish soap under the melted cheese. Yum.
  • Reuxlette
    Options
    Duplicate*

Sorry!
  • Reuxlette
    Options
    Wow, out of 7 posts 3 of those happen to mention Dominos... That certainly says something!

And I never even THOUGHT about servers in tank tops and bare armpits before but you can guarantee I'm going to notice that from now on!

And blargh, orange hair?!

Never seen a roll of hamburger before... I was a vegetarian for probably the last 10 years plus, until the last few months I started downing Wendy's burgers and started averaging a weight gain of 5 lbs a month.. Yikes! Hoping someone has a story to detour me from going there completely!

Thanks for sharing :)

And sorry if there is a cut off post before this one.. Phone glitched the keyboard and made me hit "Post Reply" :(
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    Blech..makes me not want to eat fast food at all.

The thing that turned me off completely from fast food was the image of the *chicken nuggets* from McD's. EWW
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Once I bit into a Reese`s peanut butter cup and there were maggots. That was in high school. I am in my 40`s now and still can`t eat one. Never liked the consistency of the peanut butter in them anyway.
  • Reuxlette
    Options
    Once I bit into a Reese`s peanut butter cup and there were maggots. That was in high school. I am in my 40`s now and still can`t eat one. Never liked the consistency of the peanut butter in them anyway.

^^^ THIS just cured my occasional Reese's binge!! I nearly polished off a whole bag of minis last week. Still have about a dozen left... Guess where they're going when I get home! Haha. Thank you!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm probably guilty of something gross happening at a McDonalds.

I was 16, and it was popular at the time for all the girls to have long, fake fingernails, so of course I had to have them too. I was working at a McDonalds at the time, and midway into my shift, I noticed on of the fingernails was missing.

I looked everywhere and I never did find it. I'm pretty sure I lost it in the ice machine, some poor person was sipping a drink with my fake fingernail in it.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    there are so many reasons not to eat fast food, and this just adds my list.. ew!!!

the one about the maggot in the chinese soup totally grosses me out. it was just your average chinese food place? and then i had to check where you lived... IN NJ!!! i live in nj too. great LOL

unfortunately it doesnt just happen in fast food places!!! i had a salad from MUSCLE MAKER GRILL (known for being healthy) and there was a dead bee in it.

A DEAD BEE.

omg i was scarred for life.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily fast food but when I was about 8 I ordered a glass of white milk from a diner around here and after drinking about 1/2 of it my mom noticed a cigarette but in the bottom of it!
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    Not so much fast food, but it cured my addiction to chocolate milk!

Was at a diner with my dad, small home-run place. Food was great, full southern breakfast with chocolate milk. All of their ingredients are super fresh. Halfway through the glass, he takes a big gulp.......and thinks that he's tasting a chunk of chocolate that didn't get mixed in well (like the dry chocolate mix.)

Nope.
    It's a roach.
    In his mouth.

The food place gave us the meal for free of course, but they kept insisting "of course they didn't have roaches in the chocolate mix," because it "must have crawled into the milk." It makes me think perhaps they'd rather throw out a jug of milk, versus a huge thing of chocolate mix? I have no clue, but most likely the bug would come from the mix.

Needless to say ALL of the other customers were turned off after they could hear him retching from disgust in the bathroom.
    D:D:
  • Reuxlette
    Options
    I looked everywhere and I never did find it. I'm pretty sure I lost it in the ice machine, some poor person was sipping a drink with my fake fingernail in it.

And I bet they never even came across it. Probably drank it and threw it out without ever looking in the cup! Might be something to consider doing... Taking the lid off and poking around in there BEFORE drinking lol.
  • irisheyes1977
    Options
    ugh im having a hard time to even be motivated to eat and cook my dinner today....and then i read these....i will be making my dinner after these stories but not sure how long it will take to regain my appetite..lol
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily fast food but when I was about 8 I ordered a glass of white milk from a diner around here and after drinking about 1/2 of it my mom noticed a cigarette but in the bottom of it!

Ohhhh that's nasty.

I once found a piece of chewed gum in a container of macaroni salad I got from a deli. Blarggghhhh.

Overall I'm more concerned about the cleanliness of the place - are the employees dirty and unkempt? Has the place been on watchdog lists regarding food safety? Ever had any hepatitis violations? Those kinds of things, yeah - those skeeze me out.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One time I ordered a sandwich and I clearly said NO ONIONS, but they still gave me onions! The horror. :mad:
  • Reuxlette
    Options
    there are so many reasons not to eat fast food, and this just adds my list.. ew!!!

the one about the maggot in the chinese soup totally grosses me out. it was just your average chinese food place? and then i had to check where you lived... IN NJ!!! i live in nj too. great LOL

unfortunately it doesnt just happen in fast food places!!! i had a salad from MUSCLE MAKER GRILL (known for being healthy) and there was a dead bee in it.

A DEAD BEE.

omg i was scarred for life.

Hahaha, I do indeed reside in central NJ! Thankfully that chinese place closed years ago. I refused to eat anything from there ever again any way. I'm sure this wasn't their only offense!!

And get the heck out of here!! I've been there like twice, the honey bbq chicken is the bomb diggity and back in Sept I was frequenting a retro by there... They're expensive anyway, all the more reason for me not to go there haha.