Signed up for my first 5k!

Options
And I'm terrified! I'm a new runner. I have just about completed the Couch 2 5k program (1.5 weeks left!). The 5k isn't until May 13, so I have time to prepare.

Looking for tips on how to train, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I look forward to hearing about your first 5k sucess!!

I am currently on week 3 day 2 of the C25K program & I LOVE IT!!!!

Best of luck to you :smile:
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! You are going to do great! You have plenty of time! A lot of 5K runs also have walkers, so there is no need to worry about being last. Just enjoy, I have done 2 5Ks since I did the C25K and I absolutely had a blast. My first run wasn't even that good time wise, but the atmosphere was such fun! I am already trying to plan a third....maybe a 10K. have fun! :happy:
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I did C25K a couple of years ago and then did my first 5K a few weeks later. One tip I wish I had been given is to run a couple of times at the same time of day as the race. I typically did C25K in the evenings, but the race started at 6:30 a.m. I felt sooooo out of my element. I ate a light breakfast beforehand, but twice I thought I was going to upchuck. I just don't think my body was used to doing so much physical exercise that early. If I had thought about it, I would have taken a couple of Saturdays and gotten up early to run to see how I felt and if I needed to change anything (eat more, drink more water, etc).

I hope you enjoy your race and are proud of yourself for accomplishing it. Get the T-shirt!!
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to enjoy it! Have fun with the people surrounding you!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first one last weekend. I had a great time. I actually started out a little slower than I would on a normal run because of my apprehension but still did pretty good.

I finished a Couch to 5K type program on January 1 of this year. I've continued running about three times a week since then. I generally ran at least 3.1 miles every time and worked up to where I was running about 4 miles at a time. I don't have any other real advice or tips except to keep on running and have fun with it. I always hated running until I did the program and now I love it. I'm planning to run another 5k next weekend and another at the end of April. In a couple of weeks I'm going to start working my way up to 10K.

Good Luck!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!

5ks are a lot of fun. Typically every 5k I've ever done has been more fun and relaxed, not so full of your hardcore runners (like the longer races), so you can get some friends together and really just have a great time.

I agree with one of the other posters, if your race is at say 8 am, practice running a few times at 8 am. I know personally my morning runs and my afternoon runs are quite different, so practicing at different times of day is really helpful.

And when you finish your race, rock your t-shirt all over the place!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
    i did my first 5 k in October and am training for my first 10k this April!

Its so motivating when you are there with thousands of people around you!
  • angebrun
    angebrun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did C25K a couple of years ago and then did my first 5K a few weeks later. One tip I wish I had been given is to run a couple of times at the same time of day as the race. I typically did C25K in the evenings, but the race started at 6:30 a.m. I felt sooooo out of my element. I ate a light breakfast beforehand, but twice I thought I was going to upchuck. I just don't think my body was used to doing so much physical exercise that early. If I had thought about it, I would have taken a couple of Saturdays and gotten up early to run to see how I felt and if I needed to change anything (eat more, drink more water, etc).

I hope you enjoy your race and are proud of yourself for accomplishing it. Get the T-shirt!!
    Great tip, thanks!
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You rock!!!
  • mookiemax
    Options
    New runner here, too! This was week 9 of C25K for my group. Our first race is this weekend. So tonight, instead of doing the 30 minute run on the app, we followed the race route to familiarize ourselves with it. That REALLY helped ease my mind for the race. We all made the route just fine! It was no biggie for any of us, and none of us (4 total) were runners. There are 4 in our group, we are all 42 year olds that graduated high school together. We have a total blast!!! You are doing great, keep it up!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good deal! Like others have said, 5Ks are fun and relaxed...not to mention most are for a good, charitable cause. You have plenty of time to prepare, so start focusing on a target pace. I'm not familiar with the C25K regimen, but if you are to the point of maintaining your run for the 3.1 miles, start working on extending your mileage and then increasing your pace.

One training method I used a few years back was the "Magic Mile." Warm up with an easy mile, then run the second mile at your target race pace, then do the remainder at a recovery pace or the same pace as your first mile. Basically, sandwich your target race pace in between two "easy-pace" miles. If you can't maintain the target pace for the second mile, focus on a 1/4 mile and work up from there.

Good luck!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    New runner here, too! This was week 9 of C25K for my group. Our first race is this weekend. So tonight, instead of doing the 30 minute run on the app, we followed the race route to familiarize ourselves with it. That REALLY helped ease my mind for the race. We all made the route just fine! It was no biggie for any of us, and none of us (4 total) were runners. There are 4 in our group, we are all 42 year olds that graduated high school together. We have a total blast!!! You are doing great, keep it up!

That's awesome! You'll have to post about your race. I'm doing mine with two friends - one is an experienced runner and the other (who is also an MFPer!) is a beginner like me.
  • Rmorgensen
    Options
    One long run per week - one tempo run or interval run per week and any other days easy miles. Don't run the long run and tempo on consecutive days. Build on your long runs keeping other runs about the same distance or within a mile or so.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I was really worried what to do with the cups of water.
    I tried the pinch method in this article, it works pretty good!

http://news.runtowin.com/2007/08/09/how-do-you-drink-water-during-a-race.html
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my first one on may 19th. I'm just starting to train.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner and I will be doing my first 5K April 1. Good luck to you!
  • TJMcQN
    TJMcQN Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That is indeed great advice! Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k long before I finished the C25K program. I now have 4 under my belt and am seriously addicted. You will be fine...don't worry about speed for now, just make it your goal to finish. You can work on improving your speed later.

Have FUN!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Good for you! 5K is a fun distance.

It's perfectly normal to feel pre-race jitters, especially for your first. Follow your training plan, take walking breaks if needed and relax - don't think of it as a race but just a big group run. If your race uses a corral system start from the correct one for your anticipated finish time, there's noting worse than being up front with the elites - your blow your brains out trying to keep up with them for the first few minutes.

Remember, you're not competing with anyone other than yourself - your goal should be to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.
  • chelledenae
    Options
    CONGRATS!

My tip is about the water. Always take the water. :) Even in a 5K. No need to run with water or even a water pack (unless you currently do) I stop, drink the cup and then toss it to the volunteers. Start running again. I feel that running and drinking isn't worth it (and I've drank it the wrong way & coughed forever :-/)

5K is a great distance! Best wishes to you!