A parenting question...what would you do?

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hope they feel better soon and know that the nasty part of chicken pox lasts about one week. My four children all had chicken pox, 2 at a time several years apart. This is what I did as advised by our pediatrician; gave fluids as they wanted especially cause they complained of sore throats. Food as they wanted (I didn't stress over it because I knew as uncomfortable as they felt with flu like symptoms (short lived), they would absolutely and positively survive the chicken pox virus). I remember having ice pops on hand, maybe Otters or frozen fruit bars or something they loved and let them eat it when they wanted. Most importantly... I let them play in oatmeal baths for as long as they wanted. The oatmeal (bought at a pharmacy) dries the pox and so reduces the itchiness. They played in the tub for hours literally. Then out and towel dry. I gave them a bottle of calamine lotion and a bag of cotton balls and they "painted each other in pink dots"!!! Sounds silly but these activities kept the misery they felt under control and also kept the things they needed to do in order to feel better done (oatmeal baths, calamine and drinking fluids) & accomplished.

Don't worry! This too shall pass and the most important thing is that they will both be fine!!!! BTW, cut back their fingernails so they can't do much damage when scratching the pox (it can leave a scar) :flowerforyou:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about the dehydration what about some Dioralite?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I had a severe case of chicken pox when I was 15 and still have the scars, so I feel for your son :(

When I had the chicken pox I was feverish and felt like I had the flu, all I remember eating was homemade chicken soup and not much else for a few days...you could try lukewarm (so it doesn't burst the blisters) soup or hot chocolate, pudding or jello, Ensure, Pediasure (or its UK equivalent) to make sure he's staying hydrated...and for the itching/pain, oatmeal baths work wonders. My mom used real oatmeal...although that was like 25 years ago...

Good luck--hope the kiddos feel better soon!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You could make him a fruit smoothie rather than using packaged ones if that is making you nervous. I have a "Green Monster" smoothie nearly every morning and my 3-yr old almost always has to have some. It's simple and all healthy things. I usually do the following..

1 banana
    1/2 cup fruit (usually blueberries- it's my favorite)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 yogurt
    a bunch of spinach
    a glass of ice with a little bit of water to thin it out

It's quite yummy. You could leave out the spinach if it would bother your son, but truthfully when you use blueberries, the shake is purple anyhow.

I realize you might not have all this stuff just lying around, but fruit smoothies are easy to put together and you can change them easily. The only think I usually make sure to have is the banana, but that's just bc I like them.

I was going to suggest the same thing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My 36 year old BF has never had the chicken pox. It's actually kinda scary. This is why I keep him locked in the bedroom.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

some parents (like myself) don't vaccinate for chicken pox.
    I wasn't going to vaccinate against chicken pox but my ped mentioned how much worst it could be if they get it older and since MOST do vaccinate, the chance of them getting it as children is pretty slim...so I gave in. I was worried about them having issues as older teens or adults because chicken pox then can cause so many issues including infertility.

I do believe that you can still get the CP with the vaccine, but it's usually a lighter bout.

This is just one I'm going to wait a while on... I'm not totally against the vaccine.... It's just one that I'm going to wait on.
  • SchollinJ
    Options
    when my son got the chicken pox(he was vaccinated just has a weak immune system) he wouldn't eat anything. His pediatrician suggested that I feed him smoothies(healthy) and pediasmart (organic version of pedia sure) it worked really good and I managed to get all of what he needed in him that way. but i'd talk to his ped.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I had them when I was 18, it was the worst...I remember not wanting to do anything including eating....as long as he is drinking, also oatmeal baths.....if you are concerned for sure call your dr....I hope he feels better soon.
  • ericabrothers
    Options

some parents (like myself) don't vaccinate for chicken pox.
    [/quote]

I wasn't going to vaccinate against chicken pox but my ped mentioned how much worst it could be if they get it older and since MOST do vaccinate, the chance of them getting it as children is pretty slim...so I gave in. I was worried about them having issues as older teens or adults because chicken pox then can cause so many issues including infertility.

I do believe that you can still get the CP with the vaccine, but it's usually a lighter bout.
    [/quote]

you are right it isn't as bad if you have had the vaccine and it also has weird presentation. last time i saw chicken pox it was in a 10 year old and she had prob 10 spots and they were in her hairline, torso, and arms. it was definatly strange. i can't remember the last time i saw full blown chicken pox. it is also dangerous for pregnate women to be around it but i can't remember exactly what it does
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    to address the chicken pox shot. I have two kids both had the vaccine and one got Chicken Pox twice. So it's not a fail safe.

As for the poor kiddo, whatever he will enjoy. I'm sure it sucks. Do you have slurpees? Icees? Fruit smoothies? Ice cream? popsicles? I would do your best and we all know it sucks to see the kiddos sick and miserable. :( I wish you luck and keep us posted.

I do also agree oatmeal baths saved my daughter when she was ill.

Hang in there Mom. :)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Yes! Call the pediatrician!
    Yes, I would call the doctor or nurse on duty and ask. If he will drink, I would probably also give him PediaSure until I got an answer. I have a 12yr old and I still give it to him when he is sick. He should be okay as long as he stays hydrated. Hope he gets better soon.
    I would call your doctors office and talk to a nurse. They would probably have better ideas.

I feel for you, sick kids are so hard.
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    "some parents (like myself) don't vaccinate for chicken pox."
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    "My kids get every other shot, just not the chicken pox one :)"
    [/quote]

Getting chicken pox as a kid is bad but getting them as an adult could be deadly. It has WAY more side effects on adults. I had them as a kid, only because there was no vaccine then. But my family knew the risk of us getting them as an adult, so when my cousin came home w/ them, they didn't isolate him, they let us play w/ him so we would all get it as kids. If you are going to restrict your kid from getting a certain vaccine, please do your research and see how it will affect them long term by NOT getting if vs. the short term (as an adult vs a kid).
    [/quote]

i took amoxicillin for an ear infection when i was little and had an allergic reaction. my mom was SOOO excited because she thought the hives i had was chicken pox and she was getting it over with early :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i think when i was little if one kid got chicken pox then EVERYONE who hadn't had it got to come over and play :bigsmile:
  • shonora
    shonora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    as long as he is drinking fluids he should be fine. he may not feel like eating. how did they get chicken pox? they do 2 vaccines for it now and any time i've seen kids with chicken pox its a very mild case because of the vaccien. if his mouth and throat are that sore you could ask the dr to call in magic mouth wash. it has benadryl, maalox, and viscous lidocain in it and it can help with the pain. hope they feel better.

They don't immunise against chicken pox in the UK! I guess you could get the vaccine if you are a private patient but its not an NHS thing and most children here are not vaccinated. I didn't know it was any different in America until the other day. Crazy.

I gave him soup last night but the heat from the soup burst one of the blisters and he cried for ages :( I have spoken with the doctor about it and they say that as he is drinking water there is nothing they can suggest.

wow that is crazy. they used to only get vaccinated against it at 1 year of age but now the center for disease control mandated that they have to have an addiational vaccine at 4-5 years now. any of the kids that missed it get caught up at their next well visit. that is crazy to have something that can be prevented with vaccines and not give it. chicken pox isn't too bad in kids but it can cause an adult to be infertile. your poor kiddos :frown: :frown:

there is no vaccine in Ireland for chicken pox either private or ortherwise
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Poor you - and poor him too. My son had a nasty case too and could only take fluids for quite a while. He lived on soup (COLD was his favourite) and fresh fruit milkshakes - flavours he chose. Both are easy to make (they need to be because you are probably very tired) and available all day. There are many calories in milkshake and it is easy to make it with favourite fresh/frozen fruit +banana. If you are worried about lack of calories - use full cream milk and add a little cream? My son soon caught up again and still turns to milkshakes and soup when unwell!
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    tbh Shonora I am not even sure if there is a vaccine in the uk for private patients - I would assume that if someone wanted it and wanted to pay for it they could (as with most things here)

I am running an oatmeal bath as I type, hope it eases it a bit. I am also going to try a non alcohol mouthwash to numb his throat a little and I will definitely make some jelly/jello in a minute. He has a box of icepoles/popsicles which he is allowed to help himself to, they do seem to help some.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    When it comes to my kids...I ask advice from a doctor.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Pediasure and Pedialyte. I would push these two things on him all day. The Pediasure has protein and other things that would be the same as a meal replacement for kids that don't typically eat healthy. It comes in really great flavors and tastes REALLY good. If you get them really cold, it can taste like a milk shake. Pedialyte helps restore electrolytes. It doesn't taste the best but does come in popsicle form. Don't wait on something like this, you don't want him in the hospital and them feeding him thru a tube or IV. Good luck and hope he feels better soon.

THAT!!!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try PediaSure or PediaLyte. That is what I give my kids when they are sick and refuse to eat. The PediaSure is in the baby aisle, its just like Ensure that adults use. Gatorade does taste better than the PediaLyte just FYI. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would consult the doc but pedialyte and ensure are usually recommended.
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    Get ENSURE - its basically a meal drink. Mostly younger kids and the elderly will drink it for nutrition. I used to drink it when I had mono and couldn't get anything but soup and yogurt.

You can find it pretty much anywhere (including CVS and RiteAid). I recommend chocolate flavor :)