Another Reason to Stay on Track

Options
So I posted on my profile page last night about something that happened and was told by one of my MFP friends that I should make it more public - it may help others. So - here goes, with a more elaborate version actually:

I have a friend, she is in her 50s and on the upper end of 300's for weight. She has been seeing all my progress on getting healthier and she decided to visit her doctor after hearing some of my struggles. There she found out she has sugar issues, arthritic issues, as well as a severe Vitamin D deficiency. She seldom goes anywhere, as walking is a struggle for her, and after listening to some of the things I have told her, she had begun to start losing some weight with dietary changes - not huge ones, just small ones at a time. For weeks she has been telling me how she wants to start walking with her daughter (her daughter is my age and lives with them, so super wonderful), but she keeps making excuses to not go. Well last night I had just finished my strength/circuit training and was on an adrenaline high, so called her up. After insuring she had her dinner already, told her to put on her shoes, I was coming over to take her walking. She followed that with a bunch of laughing (totally caught her off-guard) and I told her I thought it would be easier if I didn't give her a chance to say no, no excuses... I would be over as soon as my car would get me there. Sure enough, when I arrived she was ready with shoes on.... as was her daughter, her 3 grandkids, and 2 of my kids!! My friend made it all the way around the block!!!! A HUGE feat and I was so proud. As I thought more of it though, realized that so many joined us - I helped influence more health for an entire family, not just an individual. She had let me know she had been watching me and it inspired her - how awesome.
So the moral of the story (aside from a big YAY for her) is this: SOMEONE is watching you. Yes, you started out doing this for you - which is how it should be - but be aware that there is always someone quietly watching and gaining inspiration from you. The harder you go, the more inspiration you provide. The best time to remember that is when your motivation is nil. Why? Because "inspiration" trumps "frustration" EVERY single time! Keep on going everyone, own it!

Replies

• Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great story, Star. You are a great motivator! (Maybe your next career?)
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    That is awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing ... sometimes we forget that people are influenced by what we do. Even if you are doing it for you, others are benefiting from it ... I need to remember that myself.
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options
    You are frickin awesome!
  • JoyWoodruff
    JoyWoodruff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It seems like too often people that know the way, don't take the time to show others. All it takes is one person to get the whole community involved. Share what you've learned with others and you'll learn more yourself.
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Today, I needed to hear that story....THANK YOU!!!
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful night for all of you! Great job!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Betsi, I would love to be a motivator... I get a thrill off seeing people improve. But alas, I am going into school for law (gotta support the family, lol) while continuing at my present position. You know I am totally in your corner though!!!! ;)

Amie, I think it takes one to know one... you are awesome too girl!

Heather, Thank you... it was an eye-opener to me. I had been doing this on my own (other than online support) and it really hit home. Even though you may be "doing" it alone, you are so not alone - eyes are on you as you improve, start to gain confidence, etc. Amazing :)
  • Lilith8984
    Lilith8984 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this...It is a very touching story!!!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump for sheer awesomeness.
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, thanks for sharing!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Joy - sometimes it's not even about showing them how either, just taking their hand and giving them the push. I have found there are many who know HOW to do this, or at least how to do better than they are... just need a push :)

Hab - I am glad it helped. Joy was the one that suggested I post it actually, so I am glad she is right and it was able to help someone else :)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    This was beautiful, gave me goosebumps and made me teary. Thanks so much for sharing. And for caring and risking enough to just go over and get her moving. What a gift.
  • caustin112
    caustin112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the other perspective. Great story.
  • caustin112
    caustin112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This was beautiful, gave me goosebumps and made me teary.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one a little teary over here. :)
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    what a great story! thanks for sharing. I will remember this the next time i have low motivation!
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    Great inspiration for friday!!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    You all are awesome! Although accountability/motivation sure does go up when you realize others are keeping an eye on you. Sort of like we tend to work harder when we know the boss is looming over us, LOL
  • JoyWoodruff
    JoyWoodruff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Joy - sometimes it's not even about showing them how either, just taking their hand and giving them the push. I have found there are many who know HOW to do this, or at least how to do better than they are... just need a push :)

Agreed, I was kinda referring to the kids and the rest of the people that joined in on the walk. I suppose I should have used "role model" instead. Basically, you've just opened up the whole family to getting involved with each other and involved in health with each other. Community and the "push" we give each other is what inspires us to be better people to each other.

I'm really bad with words lol. I'll have to practice :)
  • stacenee14
    Options
    Wow, Amazing! Totally just boosted my motivation level. Thank you for that!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Joy.... just so you know, you totally rock!!!

stacenee - I am glad it could help :)